E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > DSC unit failure @ 60k miles...

09-28-2010, 11:57 AM   #133
bmwontyne
Rep
Drives: 320d SE

sorry be a bore but i contacted BMW myself as well and this was the reply

Quote:
BMW only use quality components in the construction of our vehicle range, however, we are unable to guarantee that a part will not fail during a vehicle's lifetime. It is for this reason that we offer our customers the opportunity to purchase an insured warranty policy once the initial warranty has expired.

In the absence of a warranty policy we may occasionally offer customers goodwill to assist with the cost of a repair. When assessing a request the vehicle age, mileage, service history and the cost of purchasing an insured warranty policy are all taken into consideration.

As a vehicle's age and mileage increases, parts will require replacement. Due to your vehicle being approximately four years old, it is not unreasonable to experience component failure due to normal use of the vehicle. Therefore, we would not offer goodwill on this occasion.

I am sorry that we are unable to assist you with your request and I trust that this information clarifies the reason why your request for financial assistance was declined. If you require any further information, please do not hesitate to contact me.

going to an independant tomorrow to see how much he will charge to do the hydro repair

one future BMW customer lost & my wife had been looking at a mini as well & is now thinking twice
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2010, 03:13 PM   #134
Tunna_uk
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d Le Mans Blue

Garage List
This should be a recall, they recalled the E36 BMW for a safety related fault (steering) system, if my memory serves me correct.

Hope you get it sorted without too much £
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2010, 05:17 PM   #135
SteveF1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D M Sport

Send a letter to the customer services manager at BMW's UK HQ and hint that you will instruct a solicitor to draw up legal proceedings in relation to the matter as the component is a known issue to fail well within the life of the vehicle and it also becomes a safety issue to boot. Also refer to this forum and many peoples acceptance of a goodwil gesture, some who have older cars with more mileage than yours that are also out of warranty.

They have set a precedence now as they know its a known issue, they must see it through until this model dies out and superceded.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 03:29 AM   #136
AlwynMike
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 440i GC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwontyne View Post
Heard back from dealer who had approached BMW for goodwill today and they are not offering anything!!!!

for this failure, which is obviously a known fault hence a repair kit being produced to happen at 44,000 and BMW will accept no responsibility is a disgrace imo, i have owned my first and last BMW

now facing a £465 job just to get the car through MOT

very very disappointed...............
I wouldn't worry too much about the MOT.
I have a similar problem on my 5-er (not the hydro pump though!). I have been without DSC for over a year - being too lazy and/or overworked to take the car in again ($tealer reset an original error code, but it returned later). The car drives normally, the ABS works, but I have no traction control etc. I had no issues over the last winter and I don't miss the DSC coming in whilst cornering at speed on a bumpy road. The car sailed through its MOT with the error evident on start-up (the same as on the E90).
Why am I thinking of getting an E91???? Frying pan and fire are the words that spring to mind....
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2010, 02:09 AM   #137
bmwontyne
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwynMike View Post
I wouldn't worry too much about the MOT.
I have a similar problem on my 5-er (not the hydro pump though!). I have been without DSC for over a year - being too lazy and/or overworked to take the car in again ($tealer reset an original error code, but it returned later). The car drives normally, the ABS works, but I have no traction control etc. I had no issues over the last winter and I don't miss the DSC coming in whilst cornering at speed on a bumpy road. The car sailed through its MOT with the error evident on start-up (the same as on the E90).
Why am I thinking of getting an E91???? Frying pan and fire are the words that spring to mind....
i was told that if a car has an driving aid fitted it needs to be working?

same as front fogs not a legal requirement but they need to work if fitted in order to pass MOT?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2010, 02:29 AM   #138
xenon
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 2021 G21 330i M-Sport

^ nope. Front fogs (as an example) are not required and not tested. The only thing similar to what your saying is a spare wheel. There is no legal requirement to carry one but if you do it must be serviceable.
Previous: 2018 A6 Avant S-Line MMI+, 2014 F31 320d M-Sport, 2013 F10 520d M-Sport, 2011 F10 530d M-Sport, 2008 320i M-Sport Coupe, 2002 325i, 2001 318i valvetronic, 1998 318i, 1996 525i, 1990 Porsche 944S2
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 03:15 PM   #139
gaznav
Rep
Drives: E91 320D

Apparently this fault is common to all cars fitted with the Teves Mk 60 ABS system. This includes the following: VW Golf MkV, MkV Plus or Touran; Seat Altea, Leon or Toledo; Skoda Octavia; Audi A3, BMW 1- or 3-series; Volvo S40/V50; or Mazda3.

It's a known fault and BMW should acknowledge that they have not fitted a part of merchantable quality.

Fun and games, eh?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2010, 07:50 AM   #140
bmwontyne
Rep

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/...nest-John.html

interesting stuff
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2010, 08:13 AM   #141
bmwontyne
Rep

quick update, i eventually wrote a letter to the customer service director of BMW UK explaining my displeasure at the service from BMW, quoting the precedents set on this site & others re goodwill for this problem

They now agreed to cover 80% of the part costs so i have had the work done for £309

not great but better than the original 465 quoted

so if anyone else is having probs write a letter
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 03:48 AM   #142
kuvesh
Lieutenant
Singapore
Rep
Drives: e92 335i juiced

I drive an e92 335i (manufactured oct 2007) but only has 20,000km on the clock.

I have been experiencing a chronic CEL indicating a stability control problem which, amongst other things, has disabled my ABS and traction control meaning I need to “drive moderately”.

I am told that I am not the first customer to experience this problem with a 335. One workshop suggested this failure is due to excessive heat in the 335 engine bay that causes failure of the DSC unit.

The recommended solution was to replace the Hydro Unit DSC (part number 34506777164).

From what I can gather, this conclusion was reached by at least one workshop based on the fact that the Hydro Unit DSC would not communicate with the diagnostic tool / code reader to specify the exact problem (other than the general error indicated by the car’s ECU that was displayed on i-drive).

Replacement of the Hydro Unit DSC is obviously an expensive part ($2k) especially since my car is out of warranty, so I am looking for affordable fixes as I plan to sell the car soon.

I noticed that BMW has released a “Repair Kit, control unit DSC” (part number 34516777165), but no-one has been able to explain to me when a the repair kit is a suitable fix versus a total replacement of the Hydro Unit DSC.

Can anyone help me on this?

Also, I remember reading in some posts that if the Repair Kit was used, a “re-programming” was required. What does this mean and does it require special software / equipment? Is a re-programming needed if I replace the entire Hyrdo Unit DSC?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

HAMANN FRONT APRON, SIDES, ROOF SPOILER & QUAD DIFFUSER | VORSTEINER VRS TRUNK | CSC3 ON 19” ADVAN RS | BREMBO GT BBK | BASTUCK QUAD | KW V2 | JB3 v1.3s beta | BMW PERFORMANCE STEERING WHEEL | M3 SIDE MIRRORS | M5 SMG SHIFT KNOB | BLACKOUT GRILLS | PARTIALLY SMOKED LIGHTS | WINDOW TINT
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 05:47 AM   #143
kuvesh
Lieutenant
Singapore
Rep
Drives: e92 335i juiced

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuvesh View Post
I drive an e92 335i (manufactured oct 2007) but only has 20,000km on the clock.

I have been experiencing a chronic CEL indicating a stability control problem which, amongst other things, has disabled my ABS and traction control meaning I need to “drive moderately”.

I am told that I am not the first customer to experience this problem with a 335. One workshop suggested this failure is due to excessive heat in the 335 engine bay that causes failure of the DSC unit.

The recommended solution was to replace the Hydro Unit DSC (part number 34506777164).

From what I can gather, this conclusion was reached by at least one workshop based on the fact that the Hydro Unit DSC would not communicate with the diagnostic tool / code reader to specify the exact problem (other than the general error indicated by the car’s ECU that was displayed on i-drive).

Replacement of the Hydro Unit DSC is obviously an expensive part ($2k) especially since my car is out of warranty, so I am looking for affordable fixes as I plan to sell the car soon.

I noticed that BMW has released a “Repair Kit, control unit DSC” (part number 34516777165), but no-one has been able to explain to me when a the repair kit is a suitable fix versus a total replacement of the Hydro Unit DSC.

Can anyone help me on this?

Also, I remember reading in some posts that if the Repair Kit was used, a “re-programming” was required. What does this mean and does it require special software / equipment? Is a re-programming needed if I replace the entire Hyrdo Unit DSC?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
anybody?

HAMANN FRONT APRON, SIDES, ROOF SPOILER & QUAD DIFFUSER | VORSTEINER VRS TRUNK | CSC3 ON 19” ADVAN RS | BREMBO GT BBK | BASTUCK QUAD | KW V2 | JB3 v1.3s beta | BMW PERFORMANCE STEERING WHEEL | M3 SIDE MIRRORS | M5 SMG SHIFT KNOB | BLACKOUT GRILLS | PARTIALLY SMOKED LIGHTS | WINDOW TINT
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 10:17 AM   #144
Tunna_uk
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d Le Mans Blue

Garage List
I read that the repair kit does NOT need programming.
I think a BMW techy posted that somewhere.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 10:29 AM   #145
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '06 330D Le Mans Blue

Garage List
I think JohnnySi spoke about this - basically how fiddly the job is and how easily other bits of the hydro unit could be damaged.
      02-10-2011, 04:04 PM   #146
gaznav
Rep
Drives: E91 320D

I had the repair kit fitted to my Hydro Unit a year ago and it's still going strong - job took a couple of hours.

My bill said the following:

B34.51.6.797.896 646 HYDRO UNIT REPAIR KIT £144.68+VAT

Also it says earlier:

Carry out control unit survey, DSC pressure sensor fault, supply and fit DSC hydro unit repair kit £174.80+VAT
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2011, 04:52 PM   #147
AJWC
Registered
Rep
Drives: E91 Touring Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaznav View Post
I had the repair kit fitted to my Hydro Unit a year ago and it's still going strong - job took a couple of hours.

My bill said the following:

B34.51.6.797.896 646 HYDRO UNIT REPAIR KIT £144.68+VAT

Also it says earlier:

Carry out control unit survey, DSC pressure sensor fault, supply and fit DSC hydro unit repair kit £174.80+VAT
The dreaded warning lights came on and rang AA warranty / Motorway Direct (I know, I wish I had a BMW warranty also) and was told to go to a local designated garage (Halfords Autocentre!) AND non BMW parts must be used where available...ouch!
Eventually got through to the garage and was told they do not have the diagnostic equipment after all. So I rang around BMW dealers and was quoted 140 pounds by Cooper Thames Ditton and 60 by Vines Redhill! (for diagnosis) Did not feel like another tel conversation with the geniuses at the Motorway call centre so I dropped them an email telling them I intend to have the fault fixed at BMW and will pay the difference in labour rates if necessary. My question is whether anyone knows if there is a non BMW DSC hydro unit / repair kit out there? If not, it'd make my case stronger when I ask them to pay for the part. Any comments or advice dealing with AA / Motorway Direct would be appreciated.

Last edited by AJWC; 03-23-2011 at 03:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2011, 12:31 AM   #148
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '06 330D Le Mans Blue

Garage List
No such thing as a non BMW repair kit for the DSC Unit.

Dealer only for parts and repair I'm afraid.
      03-23-2011, 04:25 PM   #149
jinjur
yes....spelt with J's
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 325D MSport

I cant believe I am facing this myself now.....

Anyone have any sort of guides at all or know of any on this?

If not, Ill knock one up when I'm doing it although I doubt I will be able to bleed the ABS myself.

Can anyone confirm that?

Thanks
Andy
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2011, 04:37 PM   #150
Giff
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Dave View Post
No such thing as a non BMW repair kit for the DSC Unit.

Dealer only for parts and repair I'm afraid.
Maybe there is, its a generic part used by many European car producers, they also suffer the same fault so it may well be possible to buy the repair kit from VW or even the ABS/DSC unit manufacturer.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2011, 04:43 PM   #151
josh laurence
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: silver coupe

Is this problem just related to the 320/520 models? Its just all that have posted seem to have 2.0 tdi.........
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2011, 06:50 PM   #152
jinjur
yes....spelt with J's
United Kingdom
Rep

FYI As per my similar thread.

So, what seemed to be for all intents and purposes, the DREADED DSC pressure sensor failure that alot of people seem to be getting lately.

Was fixed by replacing a lower arm in the suspension of my car to the cost of £34.

Part replaced, very minor bend in the part that was removed, car tracking arrow straight now, no alignment required and after 10 minutes of driving all the error lights went out.

Yes, these cars are FAR to clever for their own good.

Especially seeing the ludicrous amount of potholes rocking round the roads these days.

Im quite sure that BMW would gladly have inserted the largest arm they had into my colon if I had went in with that one.

That doesn't mean it wont cock up a few weeks down the line knowing my luck.

Just thought I'd give you a heads up on that one.

Check all the geometry is right when this combo of erros shows people!!!

All in all, a BETTER day!

Cheers
Andy
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2011, 06:52 AM   #153
mowflow
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Golf 7R

Glad to hear it Andy. You feeling any better about the car now or is it still going?
      03-25-2011, 08:30 AM   #154
jinjur
yes....spelt with J's
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks mate.

Wish I could feel happy but to be honest, I am just waiting for the next thing to break with it being a high miler.

THAT, coming from a Clio driver is something serious.

Andy
Appreciate 0