E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Southeast > NC folks - where are you?

04-24-2013, 09:15 AM   #1343
marcus321
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 Acura NSX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7daysaweek View Post
I'm from Raleigh, I've had my 3-series for about 3 years now and love it. Pretty much bone stock.

328i sport (6MT)

I've had several of the usual issues. Valve cover gasket, currently needs a new oil filter housing gasket and steering angle sensor. The second picture is the view from the side of the highway when my water pump died. That's how I found this forum actually, looking for DIY's to save a little cash on repairs.

Still love the car though. Always wanted one and this is my first BMW.

Feels like this every time I drive it:
Welcome to the forums Do you live in the RDU area or is that just where it happen to break down? Waterpump isnt a terribly hard job. Takes a little patience but worth it to save the money. I am all about DIY.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 12:07 PM   #1344
7daysaweek
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i Sedan (sport)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus321 View Post
Welcome to the forums Do you live in the RDU area or is that just where it happen to break down? Waterpump isnt a terribly hard job. Takes a little patience but worth it to save the money. I am all about DIY.
I live right around RDU. I didn't do the water pump or the valve cover gasket myself but after finding this website I wished I had. I am planning to do the oil filter housing gasket and windshield washer pump myself this weekend using some DIY info on here. We'll see how it goes.

Thanks for the welcome.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 01:27 PM   #1345
marcus321
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I live right around RDU. I didn't do the water pump or the valve cover gasket myself but after finding this website I wished I had. I am planning to do the oil filter housing gasket and windshield washer pump myself this weekend using some DIY info on here. We'll see how it goes.

Thanks for the welcome.
fun fun, let us know how it goes. If you need a helping hand just message me! I may be able to help this weekend.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 12:14 PM   #1346
MikeR1994
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 e90 325i, 05 325Ci (RIP)

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
This is Marcus L right? I'll tell what, next time your water pump goes out I'll replace it for you, if you put my headlights in the oven and open the housings... Because I don't have the balls for that.

Also, everyone in the Charlotte area: I'm broke and have a car to fix. If you aren't happy with dealer repair prices... hit me up. haha
Active Autowerke Stage II | MMW CSv2 Exhaust | MMW Catless Headers | BC Racing BR Extreme Low Coilovers | custom adjustable rear suspension links | 19" Hyperblack CSL's | M3 style front | trim wrapped in brushed steel vinyl | Slightly smoked tail lights with clear reverse lights | factory xenons

Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 09:11 AM   #1347
marcus321
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeR1994 View Post
This is Marcus L right? I'll tell what, next time your water pump goes out I'll replace it for you, if you put my headlights in the oven and open the housings... Because I don't have the balls for that.

Also, everyone in the Charlotte area: I'm broke and have a car to fix. If you aren't happy with dealer repair prices... hit me up. haha
yup thats me haha it really is not bad. I would be more worried about making sure it is completely sealed once you close it back up. Opening it up is the easy part
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 09:19 AM   #1348
duky
The Tanzanian
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3, Audi RS6, Mini Cooper

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerdiaz View Post
Chris Chandler
9thdegreenc@aol.com
Facebook 9th degree detailing
He is out of morrisville. Have an appointment April 24 for a one step correction.
Thanks a lot man I just met him he came to take a look at the car and we're going to go ahead with a Step 1 as well. Pretty excited I've been looking for someone for a while and haven't had much luck before this.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 10:33 AM   #1349
MikeR1994
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 e90 325i, 05 325Ci (RIP)

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
yup thats me haha it really is not bad. I would be more worried about making sure it is completely sealed once you close it back up. Opening it up is the easy part
We've had the same oven since I was seven, and I finally decided that it isn't underpowered, it just reads at a higher temp than it's actually at... That's what makes me nervous. I'd love to ring my neighbor's doorbell and ask them if I can put my headlights in their oven... That sounded oddly (and disgustingly) sexual. hahaha
Active Autowerke Stage II | MMW CSv2 Exhaust | MMW Catless Headers | BC Racing BR Extreme Low Coilovers | custom adjustable rear suspension links | 19" Hyperblack CSL's | M3 style front | trim wrapped in brushed steel vinyl | Slightly smoked tail lights with clear reverse lights | factory xenons

Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 06:27 PM   #1350
7daysaweek
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i Sedan (sport)

Quote:
fun fun, let us know how it goes. If you need a helping hand just message me! I may be able to help this weekend.
Well the new oil filter housing gasket is in but it took a lot more than I expected. After reading the DIY here I thought it'd be pretty simple but I had a couple of additional steps. Regardless, it's done now and I saved several hundred dollars I'd have paid the dealer.

I cleaned out the nozzles on the windshield washers and it seemed to fix my washer problem but after a day or two I started seeing a leak from the passenger side just behind the front wheel. Then the light came on for low washer fluid so obviously that will require some more attention.

Maybe that can be next weekends project...
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 09:52 AM   #1351
marcus321
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Well the new oil filter housing gasket is in but it took a lot more than I expected. After reading the DIY here I thought it'd be pretty simple but I had a couple of additional steps. Regardless, it's done now and I saved several hundred dollars I'd have paid the dealer.

I cleaned out the nozzles on the windshield washers and it seemed to fix my washer problem but after a day or two I started seeing a leak from the passenger side just behind the front wheel. Then the light came on for low washer fluid so obviously that will require some more attention.

Maybe that can be next weekends project...
at least you tackled the hard one and got that one right . My friend has the exact same issue with his windshield washers. We havent tried to fix it yet, let me know how it goes though.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2013, 04:29 AM   #1352
duky
The Tanzanian
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Chris Chandler
9thdegreenc@aol.com
Facebook 9th degree detailing
He is out of morrisville. Have an appointment April 24 for a one step correction.
Thanks again for the tip. He did a great job with the paint. Unfortunately he somehow chipped a good piece of paint off my diffuser. At first he was saying he didn't do it but since he had taken before and after pics he then fessed up to it later via email and said it must have been him but he doesn't know how it happened. This where it went downhill. He blamed BMW for making cheap parts (I don't really care if the part is cheaply made or not) then said that he will talk to some of his buddies that paint cars to see if we could sort something out.

It's been a week and I've heard nothing. For something that costs $80 I would have rather he just be a decent person and pay up instead of trying to find some alternative way to fix it that wouldn't give me back the original look (I don't want the diffusor painted). So basically this post is for the rest of you in the area looking for detailing services. I guess there's some risk when someone does work to your car but I hope to find a place/person who handles their mistakes better than Chris did. Ill update if he does something different but I doubt he will.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2013, 10:38 AM   #1353
marcus321
Captain
Rep

Thats awful man, sorry to hear that. I have had my car detailed a few times and never had any paint chip problem. Its sad to see him blame BMW...there are a lot of auto manufactures that have far worse paint the bmw(Infinite/Nissan for example would chip from mosquitos). He is obviously at fault and should have it fully restored to prior condition.

I had a simliar thing happen to me. I had a detailer come out to my 350z(back in the day) and I had volks that were anodized finish on the lip. I told him soap and water only. No abrasive cleaners and he thought it would be okay to use a light abrasive cleaner. Long story short it ate the clear coat away but he ended up paying to get them all re-anodized which cost him 800$ vs the 100$ detail job.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2013, 10:47 AM   #1354
duky
The Tanzanian
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Long story short it ate the clear coat away but he ended up paying to get them all re-anodized which cost him 800$ vs the 100$ detail job.
That was good of him and is how you should handle such a situation as a professional; especially when a large part of your business is found through referrals! Oh well, we'll see what happens - luckily it was just the diffuser which isn't that expensive so wasn't worth my time to argue some money back.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2013, 12:36 PM   #1355
AirborneFF
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Competition

Does anyone in the greensboro, Durham, WS, area know a shop that will do inspections " wink wink" on my car

CF Front lip//Cyba Scoops//K&N filter//Charcoal delete//UPSolute tune//Full LED swap//CF roof spoiler//Monaco blue boot lid//muffler delete//Blacklines//15% tint//Rear fogs//
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 12:34 PM   #1356
marcus321
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndukyh View Post
Thanks again for the tip. He did a great job with the paint. Unfortunately he somehow chipped a good piece of paint off my diffuser. At first he was saying he didn't do it but since he had taken before and after pics he then fessed up to it later via email and said it must have been him but he doesn't know how it happened. This where it went downhill. He blamed BMW for making cheap parts (I don't really care if the part is cheaply made or not) then said that he will talk to some of his buddies that paint cars to see if we could sort something out.

It's been a week and I've heard nothing. For something that costs $80 I would have rather he just be a decent person and pay up instead of trying to find some alternative way to fix it that wouldn't give me back the original look (I don't want the diffusor painted). So basically this post is for the rest of you in the area looking for detailing services. I guess there's some risk when someone does work to your car but I hope to find a place/person who handles their mistakes better than Chris did. Ill update if he does something different but I doubt he will.
Use this guy next time...he does absolutely amazing work! Works on a lot of nice high end cars.

http://woowooo.wordpress.com/vendorguide/
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 06:57 PM   #1357
dsuraci
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i Coupe M Sport

New to the E90 world. Just picked up 2013 328i Coupe M Sport. Looking forward to being part of the community! :-) I am in Wilmington...
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 09:24 PM   #1358
jon_335
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Quote:
Use this guy next time...he does absolutely amazing work! Works on a lot of nice high end cars.

http://woowooo.wordpress.com/vendorguide/
Woob worked on my car this past weekend (check out the post on his blog). I am quite pleased with the work. The car is protected and ready for the summer. Next, I'm going for the deep liquid shine … but silver isn't an easy color from what I hear.

2007 BMW 335i | Garner, North Carolina
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 12:54 PM   #1359
marcus321
Captain
Rep

Put on my m3 style carbon fiber trunk lip this weekend. I just noticed my right exhaust is hanging slightly lower I will need to correct that asap lol

Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 08:27 AM   #1360
lowcartel
Cat Wearing Glasses In Space
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 325Xi Touring

Garage List
Hello
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 07:47 PM   #1361
Blindside_137
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 SSII E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus321
Put on my m3 style carbon fiber trunk lip this weekend. I just noticed my right exhaust is hanging slightly lower I will need to correct that asap lol

So jealous of your rear setup! Looks killer.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 11:53 PM   #1362
intensee92
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Your Girl Crazy.

Quote:

Im surprised you didnt get the performance spoiler Marcus
      05-24-2013, 09:21 AM   #1363
rogerdiaz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndukyh View Post
Question and Contribution

First, for the question: Anyone know where to get a good detail/wax done in the Raleigh/Durham area? I'm thinking about something well done like this that I guess would probably end up being in the $4-500 range (i.e. not some car wash spot that "details" for $80): http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=817617

And the contribution: A few people were asking about where to get body work done in the RDU area. I mentioned Kenny Hawkins but hadn't yet used them. Finally got around to getting my M Aero Kit installed by them and here are some pictures:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=814631

They did a great job and I'd highly recommend them especially considering their price which was very reasonable compared to what other shops in the area were offering.

http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-detailing/144699-its-all-about-details.html

Awesome service. And I didn't even get a "full correction" mostly due to my car is a DD, nongaraged, and no way to handwash myself.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2013, 09:35 AM   #1364
duky
The Tanzanian
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-detailing/144699-its-all-about-details.html

Awesome service. And I didn't even get a "full correction" mostly due to my car is a DD, nongaraged, and no way to handwash myself.
Good to hear. Don't know if you read my posting above: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...postcount=1357

Long story short he messed up my diffuser, denied it was him, then admitted it, and has since made no attempts to correct his fault. While I have faith in his abilities as a detailer (and any detailer can make a mistake) I have no faith in his personal accountability after making a mistake. Most likely won't be doing business with him again.
Appreciate 0