E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Why did the PO do this to the headlights?

04-04-2017, 08:00 AM   #1
bigchieftaco
Private
Rep
Drives: 330xi

Garage List
2006 BMW 330xi  [0.00]
Why did the PO do this to the headlights?

Hey, I'm just wondering if this is common practice and what the hell the point of doing this is.
See pics for what's going on. The seller said it was something to do with the halo LEDs/bulbs but I wasn't understanding.
The car yells at me the right and left high beams aren't working, even though they are.

Appreciate 0
      04-04-2017, 08:15 AM   #2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535xi

Do your halos automatically turn on when you start the car? Could be a mod for that.
Appreciate 1
      04-04-2017, 08:28 AM   #3
Dylan484
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i N55

In your pictures is looks like he just hooked it straight to the 12 volt post in your engine, and I didn't see a fuse. If I were you the absolute very first thing I would do is disconnect the battery, wait for a bit, then install and a fuse into that power wire. That is an accident waiting to happen. Also, I think that means that it could be constantly drawing power which in theory drain your battery is not driven for a few days.

Depending on how handy you are I'd also completly re-run that wire because if I was to look under your hood all I would see is that bright yellow wire running across the engine, but that's just me.

As far as for your codes being thrown I have never replaced any normal lights for Leds in this car for this exact reason. Didn't want to have to mess with these codes. I wanna say some sort of resistors can be installed, but I'm not sure. Someone will chime in as it common to change some bulbs to led.

Good luck, Dylan
Appreciate 1
      04-04-2017, 08:33 AM   #4
bigchieftaco
Private
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7786 View Post
Do your halos automatically turn on when you start the car? Could be a mod for that.
Not sure, if I turn my lights on at all, they are always on, just seem pretty dim imo.
Greetings fellow Iowan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan484 View Post
In your pictures is looks like he just hooked it straight to the 12 volt post in your engine, and I didn't see a fuse. If I were you the absolute very first thing I would do is disconnect the battery, wait for a bit, then install and a fuse into that power wire. That is an accident waiting to happen. Also, I think that means that it could be constantly drawing power which in theory drain your battery is not driven for a few days.

Depending on how handy you are I'd also completly re-run that wire because if I was to look under your hood all I would see is that bright yellow wire running across the engine, but that's just me.

As far as for your codes being thrown I have never replaced any normal lights for Leds in this car for this exact reason. Didn't want to have to mess with these codes. I wanna say some sort of resistors can be installed, but I'm not sure. Someone will chime in as it common to change some bulbs to led.

Good luck, Dylan
Ah, yeah that makes sense now. I'm not sure why it's throwing the high beam codes though if they only messed with the halos. Maybe they tapped into them somehow and throwing the sensor off.
Yes, it's very ugly job and I'll check if there is a fuse anywhere, but I think you're right, looks fuseless.
Thanks for the information!
Appreciate 1
      04-04-2017, 08:40 AM   #5
Captain comic
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi

That was probably done in stone age when proper LEDs were not available on market. Now every LED for Angel Eyes comes with error cancelling built-in and no need for that tacky wire setup
Appreciate 1
      04-04-2017, 08:42 AM   #6
bigchieftaco
Private
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain comic View Post
That was probably done in stone age when proper LEDs were not available on market. Now every LED for Angel Eyes comes with error cancelling built-in and no need for that tacky wire setup
So I can just buy a new set of LEDs for the halos and delete this wire setup? Not sure what you mean.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2017, 08:57 AM   #7
Dylan484
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchieftaco View Post
So I can just buy a new set of LEDs for the halos and delete this wire setup? Not sure what you mean.
Go to burger tuning's website, I think they have leds for the halos there for around $20. I can only imagine that BMS uses an led that will cancel out the codes, and I'm sure the install looks way better. If you go this route though be careful of the mod bug. Once it gets you, you're stuck for good. Ha

Good luck and enjoy your new to you car, Dylan
Appreciate 1
      04-04-2017, 09:32 AM   #8
terryd5150
Head Fry Cook at McBurgertown
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
If you get a set of error-free LEDs, then you may be able to delete that wiring set-up.

I have LUX LED angel eye bulbs myself, but there are plenty of other good options that will work great.

BUT-

Are you sure that's what that wiring's for?

Two questions:

What year is your car?

Do you get the errors with your current set-up when your headlight switch is set to "auto"?

Early model E90s require a custom harness to allow angel eyes to function as daytime running lamps. Without it, the angel eyes only work when the headlights are on.

Pre-made harnesses are readily available these days for around $45, but even with it installed the headlight switch has to be on "auto" or it will throw headlight warnings.

Last edited by terryd5150; 04-04-2017 at 09:43 AM..
Appreciate 1
      04-04-2017, 09:42 AM   #9
bigchieftaco
Private
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan484 View Post
Go to burger tuning's website, I think they have leds for the halos there for around $20. I can only imagine that BMS uses an led that will cancel out the codes, and I'm sure the install looks way better. If you go this route though be careful of the mod bug. Once it gets you, you're stuck for good. Ha

Good luck and enjoy your new to you car, Dylan
Thanks! I'm not seeing any LEDs for my car. 2006 e90. They only carry 2008+?

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryd5150 View Post
If you get a set of error-free LEDs, then yes you can delete that wiring set-up.

I have LUX LED angel eye bulbs myself, but there are plenty of other good options that will work great.

BUT-

Are you sure that's what that wiring's for?

Two questions:

What year is your car?

Do you get the errors with your current set-up when your headlight switch is set to "auto"?

Early model E90s require a custom harness to allow angel eyes to function as daytime running lamps. Without it, the angel eyes on work when the headlights are on.

That harness is readily available these days for around $45, but even with it installed the headlight switch has to be on "auto" or it will throw headlight warnings
It's a 2006 330xi with xenons. I don't care too much about the angle eyes right now, they are pretty dim anyway. I'd rather the car not yell at me.
Maybe I'll work on deleting this setup.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2017, 07:35 PM   #10
terryd5150
Head Fry Cook at McBurgertown
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
Thanks! I'm not seeing any LEDs for my car. 2006 e90. They only carry 2008+?

It's a 2006 330xi with xenons. I don't care too much about the angle eyes right now, they are pretty dim anyway. I'd rather the car not yell at me.
Maybe I'll work on deleting this setup.
2006 requires the harness for the angel eyes to function as daytime running lights.

I'd bet that what you have is a homemade version.

These LEDs should work for you:

http://www.ledin.us/cree-10w-led-ang...FYNKXgodtq8Eqg

Here's the harness:

http://www.distantxtremes.com/daeos-...-harness1.html

Last edited by terryd5150; 04-07-2017 at 07:43 PM..
Appreciate 1