E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Had enough of slow 320d - remap or new car?

10-07-2017, 01:48 AM   #45
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640d sport/f31 330d x drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfdy10 View Post
What's your opinions on remapping a 320d M sport 56 plate with 145k miles on the clock? Am I asking for trouble there? The cars always been very well looked after with frequent services etc. But I'm just a bit wary of the age of the engine and don't want to cause myself any hassle for an extra 40-60bhp
just do it,,unless you drive it like a tool all the time,,the car will take it in its stride..just get it done by someone with good feedback and maybe a rolling road before and aftyer,,although the rolling road figures are a bit pie in the sky with some tuners..
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2017, 04:51 PM   #46
ChawenHalo
Second Lieutenant
France
Rep
Drives: E91 330d XDrive LCI M Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueh88 View Post
Mate, I have been in this boat many a time! At the end of the day, each situation is very different and every car performs differently. A "slower" car might be faster than a "faster" car in a certain situation. You mention you never really opened up due to roads etc. That there is the main thing to note in my personal opinion.

One thing to note is about power/torque delivery too. You mention your 2002 Mk4 Golf. That has a much peakier torque spike due to its 8V engine which makes it feel "faster" as you get a huge lump of torque all at once whereas your 320D is much more linear so will feel slower as it is more refined.

Anyway, I would definitely recommend a tuning box first. Had a Mk7 GTD with one and it was amazing! If you aren't impressed after this then I would be amazed lol.

Also - the Mk6 Golf, there are 2 versions, a 110bhp or 140bhp. The 140bhp isn't that slow tbh and from experience they put out more than 140 if tested on a dyno.
Blue is correct on this. My first BMW was a 2005 E90 320d manual and coming of an A4 1.9 TDI (which had a very peak torque delivery (felt like big boost at a borrow rev range) the Beemer felt way way faster. These "only" has 168 BHP if I recall correctly. LCI must be good for 200 BHP. TBH even with an a heavy LCI 330d, I still think a 20d is you really need in real life driving. Handling is also very impressive on these.

Interesting fact: look where the engine is positioned in these 320d's. There's a lot of distance between the end of the lock and the front bumper. These cars are FMR (front mid engine rear wheel drive) than FRW. Alpine had very good success racing them as standard which lead to their in house development D3. Which brings me neatly to an option for you:

Alpine D3 twin turbo (LCI equivalent post 2009).

Lastly your car could be a little off. Make sure its well maintained/ serviced. Could be "clogged up" and not making full power. Likewise make sure your chassis is sorted (tire pressure, tire brand, balancing and geometry) to give you the confidence when pushing your car. Chassis is far superior to any Golf and you have more ponies so should have no probs whatsoever "keeping up" with a Golf 4 pot oil burner.

As others have said its also often down to the driver and what form you're in. One of my best drives ever was with a beautiful black 996 Turbo following me home in narrow twisty Wiltshire roads. I was in that same 320 with ridiculous (but gorgeous style 168 19" wheels and M Sport suspension. I was definitely at the limit of my abilities but he was not on my rump either through corners. Once a good straight opened up I signalled left to let him pass he waved by. That was 30 mins of great fun!

Last edited by ChawenHalo; 10-12-2017 at 04:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2017, 05:14 AM   #47
CitizenKane
Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 2018 F82 M4

Well I have now sold the 320d. I'm still undecided as to what to go for next, but in the meantime I picked up an LCI 318Ci M Sport as a 'runaround' I guess. It's obviously not as powerful as the 320d but it feels faster and it's a lot more fun to drive. It's great to be back in a manual petrol and I'm actually really enjoying this car. It's a big step down from the e92 in terms of luxury and spec but I've realised I don't really care tbh.
Appreciate 0