E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > E90 330D - Speaker Upgrade

10-02-2017, 02:03 PM   #1
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330D M Sport

E90 330D - Speaker Upgrade

Hi All,

I have the standard BMW Professional stereo with the 6 speakers (2 Front, 2 Underseat and 2 parcelshelf) I'm planning on getting an Eonon GA7165A which doesn't change much to what i could upgrade to i dont think. So whats a descent speaker upgrade thats not too costly?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2017, 08:11 AM   #2
sirleeofroy
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330D M-Sport LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSweet1991 View Post
Hi All,

I have the standard BMW Professional stereo with the 6 speakers (2 Front, 2 Underseat and 2 parcelshelf) I'm planning on getting an Eonon GA7165A which doesn't change much to what i could upgrade to i dont think. So whats a descent speaker upgrade thats not too costly?
I have the same setup and swapped out the head unit for an Xtrons PX5 Android unit (pretty much the same as what you're getting), its rather good once you've got rid of the stock rom. I would suggest looking at this thread on XDA - https://forum.xda-developers.com/and...evice-t3598908

As for the speaker upgrade, I went for these MB Quart for the front doors - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MB-Quart-Q...oAAOSwHMJYI0M4 They add considerable clarity that just isn't found on the stock speakers.

In addition to that, I installed a compact active sub in the boot. An MTX Road Thunder 8 in my case.

Many will upgrade the underseat subs for the SWS Earthquake subs which I believe are quite good but in my opinion, better sound comes from a sub enclosure.

The rear shelf speakers I just left stock as these are filtered for high pass only, many think that its the stereo that does this but I can confirm that even after removing the BMW HU, they are still filtered. I'm guessing there is a physical filter somewhere. In any case, I fade around 75% of the sound to the front.

You'll really need to play with the EQ on the new stereo to get a decent sound but it's there after some tweaking and if you install the Malaysk Rom from the thread on XDA, you'll be able to install further tweaks.

I hope that helps

Appreciate 0
      10-05-2017, 03:28 PM   #3
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330D M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirleeofroy View Post
I have the same setup and swapped out the head unit for an Xtrons PX5 Android unit (pretty much the same as what you're getting), its rather good once you've got rid of the stock rom. I would suggest looking at this thread on XDA - https://forum.xda-developers.com/and...evice-t3598908

As for the speaker upgrade, I went for these MB Quart for the front doors - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MB-Quart-Q...oAAOSwHMJYI0M4 They add considerable clarity that just isn't found on the stock speakers.

In addition to that, I installed a compact active sub in the boot. An MTX Road Thunder 8 in my case.

Many will upgrade the underseat subs for the SWS Earthquake subs which I believe are quite good but in my opinion, better sound comes from a sub enclosure.

The rear shelf speakers I just left stock as these are filtered for high pass only, many think that its the stereo that does this but I can confirm that even after removing the BMW HU, they are still filtered. I'm guessing there is a physical filter somewhere. In any case, I fade around 75% of the sound to the front.

You'll really need to play with the EQ on the new stereo to get a decent sound but it's there after some tweaking and if you install the Malaysk Rom from the thread on XDA, you'll be able to install further tweaks.

I hope that helps

Hi mate,

I wantd to wait until I was back on the desktop before I replied as it takes bloody ages to write on my phone!

As for the information you provided I just wanted to say abig thanks because that's exactly the information (and more) that I was hoping for

The head unit and the link to the ROM on XDA is superb! I have indeed been looking on XDA about custom ROM compatibility and whether they can run Viper$Android which has to be one of my most favourite justifications to root.. get that sweet bass rolling

With the subwoofer I would struggle to get anything that would take up more space because my boot space is needed all the time.. so the earthquakes may be a very good idea! It's also nice to hear that the stock head unit alone can make quite a big difference, from other threads people have said the head units would make absolutely zero difference and you'd have to invest in equalisers/amps? Not sure exactly what it was but there was some sort of additional source needed to get the most of of it.

The MB Quart speakers are always being mentioned so that's definitely worth investing into. Pricing everything up on Fleabay it's going to cost a good £400ish which isn't bad. Although, there was someone on the classifieds section selling their logic 7 setup for around £600 I believe.

Either way I'll keep my eyes open, at least I know my options now.. I just need to find a good deal!

So again, thank you very much for your information, it was greatly appreciated and just what I needed
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2017, 03:57 PM   #4
sirleeofroy
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330D M-Sport LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSweet1991 View Post
Hi mate,

I wantd to wait until I was back on the desktop before I replied as it takes bloody ages to write on my phone!

As for the information you provided I just wanted to say abig thanks because that's exactly the information (and more) that I was hoping for

The head unit and the link to the ROM on XDA is superb! I have indeed been looking on XDA about custom ROM compatibility and whether they can run Viper$Android which has to be one of my most favourite justifications to root.. get that sweet bass rolling

With the subwoofer I would struggle to get anything that would take up more space because my boot space is needed all the time.. so the earthquakes may be a very good idea! It's also nice to hear that the stock head unit alone can make quite a big difference, from other threads people have said the head units would make absolutely zero difference and you'd have to invest in equalisers/amps? Not sure exactly what it was but there was some sort of additional source needed to get the most of of it.

The MB Quart speakers are always being mentioned so that's definitely worth investing into. Pricing everything up on Fleabay it's going to cost a good £400ish which isn't bad. Although, there was someone on the classifieds section selling their logic 7 setup for around £600 I believe.

Either way I'll keep my eyes open, at least I know my options now.. I just need to find a good deal!

So again, thank you very much for your information, it was greatly appreciated and just what I needed
Ello mate,

You're very welcome, I went through all of this when I bought my car back in March so though I'd pitch in!

The Malaysk Rom is great, it now includes Viper4Android built in so you tweak your EQ even further than that of the built in EQ. Though it's setting don't seem to apply to the radio for some reason.

I think that the amp in these android units is a bit more powerful than the stock BMW HU as I initially only had the HU and the MB Quart front door speakers installed but was able to tune a fair amount of bass from the stock underseat subs, and at decent volume however, due to the full signal being sent to the sub and the doors it doesn't take much before you're stressing the door speaker with too much bass and the bass from the sub just has too much "mid".

If I was only going to use the upgraded door speakers and upgraded underseat subs, I definitely use a crossover to filter the bass to the subs and mid/highs to the doors. You would be able to do this when you replaced the underseat subs as the full signal goes there first before the doors, you'd just need to splice some speaker wires, easy stuff!

Sure, you can certainly go down the amped route, you'll definitely get that bit more from your system but for me, after listening to mine running from just the head unit (with the added sub) I couldn't justify spending significantly more than the £400 I'd spent already.

Another pretty cool thing you can do with these android head units is use Carly and/or Torque to display temps on screen because you know, BMW thought we didn't need those anymore!

Last edited by sirleeofroy; 10-05-2017 at 04:03 PM..
Appreciate 0