E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Run flat pucture: is a repair ok ?

02-12-2007, 10:10 AM   #1
Snake Pliskin
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i M Sport Saloon

Question Run flat pucture: is a repair ok ?

Had my first run flat puncture today.

Large piece of sharp plastic (could see it was it was sticking out by half and inch or so)

Phoned the Dealer and they have said BMW do not suggest repairing puncture on run flats and that you should replace the tyre.

The puncture happened in town today and I went straight round to the local tyre Fit centre and they were able to repair the puncture which was on the flat treaded part of the tyre.

It seams fine and I only travelled about 4 miles with it at 20mph before having it removed.

Does anyone else have experience with this situation ... has anyone had a run flat repaired / or is it a big no no and do I need to get a new one asap.

Appreciate your comments guys.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2007, 10:22 AM   #2
booforty
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
No experience with this, but you can't compromise safety particularly with tyres. If it were me I would replace the tyre without doubt.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2007, 10:43 AM   #3
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Pliskin View Post
Had my first run flat puncture today.

Large piece of sharp plastic (could see it was it was sticking out by half and inch or so)

Phoned the Dealer and they have said BMW do not suggest repairing puncture on run flats and that you should replace the tyre.

The puncture happened in town today and I went straight round to the local tyre Fit centre and they were able to repair the puncture which was on the flat treaded part of the tyre.

It seams fine and I only travelled about 4 miles with it at 20mph before having it removed.

Does anyone else have experience with this situation ... has anyone had a run flat repaired / or is it a big no no and do I need to get a new one asap.

Appreciate your comments guys.
Bad luck snake ...

From what I have read, plenty of people have had run-flats repaired.

This might help:

http://www.etyres.co.uk/run-flat-tyres

The risk seems to be that damage may occur to the sidewall of the tyre when it is used at zero or reduced pressure. Because the sidewall is reinforced that damage might not be visible.

I suppose you need to decide for yourself if you are concerned about that risk.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2007, 10:44 AM   #4
Ascension
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i & 2010 535i

Garage List
2010 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Did you do a

2006 330i Jet Black w/ Beige Leather/Sport/Prem/Step/Shades/Xenon/Logic 7
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2007, 10:57 AM   #5
Snake Pliskin
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed View Post
Bad luck snake ...

From what I have read, plenty of people have had run-flats repaired.

This might help:

http://www.etyres.co.uk/run-flat-tyres

The risk seems to be that damage may occur to the sidewall of the tyre when it is used at zero or reduced pressure. Because the sidewall is reinforced that damage might not be visible.

I suppose you need to decide for yourself if you are concerned about that risk.

Thanks mate

I guess I am "concerned" and thats why I am asking the questions BUT ... as i noticed the problem straight away and got it fixed straight away and it was no where near the side walls I do feel a bit less anxious to rush into buying a new tyre if I don't need to .. its only done 4,000 mile too you see !

The puncture was ditecly on the base of the tyre and the tyre lost very little pressure (if any) so my gut feeling is that the tyre will be ok ... there is just this little nagging doubt at the back of my mind with it being a special tyre ... but i am pretty sure that with it being on the base area and not the side, it should be ok.

The article you attached was interesting but does not give conclusive advise but I am leaning towards thinking it will be ok.

If it was a normal tyre I would say yes no problem ... its only with it being a RF that I am concerned like this.

Still enjoying the car though ... you too ?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2007, 11:44 AM   #6
NathanJT
Techie Geek
England
Rep
Drives: 330d M Sport Manual

I had a puncture in the rear of my Z4 last year and this is how it was explained to me:

In the event of a puncture on an RFT tyre, the steel rim inside the tyre itself will take the load of the car (as intended). The rim only has a finite life in this mode and obviously the higher the speed at which it has to cope, the shorter the lifespan.

In short it's not so much the integrity of the tyre but the RFT component of it that means it should be replaced. After all, you sure can't SEE the state of this!
      02-12-2007, 11:47 AM   #7
yellowg555
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Bite the bullet and replace it. There is no price tag for peace of mind, at least in my opinion.
      02-12-2007, 12:48 PM   #8
mjh93sa
Major General
Rep
Drives: 530d

Garage List
There have been a few threads on this subject over the years....

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...5&postcount=12

My comment:

A letter appeared in November BMW Car on the subject of RFT tyre repair.

It would seem that there is a level of ignorance that results in the "can't fix it" response.

The Guy in question went to a national tyre franchise who said no, and two BMW dealers, one who who said it could be repaired and one who said it couldn't. BMW Helpline were also vague on the point.

They then contacted the tyre manufacturer (Goodyear) who confirmed that the tyre could be fixed provided that the puncture was not near the sidewall, and the tyre had not been driven deflated over a long distance.

As an aside BMW claim that a 530d fitted with run-flats is 10seconds faster around the Nurburgring than one without (UK BMW magazine Autmumn/Winter 2005).

My 2p worth:
The only difference that I am aware of between run-flats and a standard tyre is the reinforced sidewall. The wheels themselves are also modified to ensure that a deflated tyre remains on the rim. Therefore they may be treated as any other tyre when considering a repair within the treaded area of the tyre.

However....... whereas you would change a deflated standard tyre immediately and take the tyre for repair this is impossible for the RFT with no spare. Therefore you should carefully consider any damage that may have occured to the tyre whilst running deflated. If you can keep pumping the tyre up and/or run at a slow speed there should be no problem. But if you have driven at high speed and loadings for some distance the heat generated through the extra flexing of the deflated sidewall and loads placed on it are bound to have a detrimental effect on the tyre.

I believe that this is why many tyre fitters will say that you have to replace the tyre. Even in the UK, let alone the litigous USA imagine what would happen should a run-flat fail having been repaired.

At the end of the day tyres are expensive, but you tust them with your life every time that you drive. Just use common sense.

Gone: Fiesta - Focus - E46 320dSE - E91 330dMSport - E82 135iMSport - R55 JCW Clubman - M135i
Now: 530d

Last edited by mjh93sa; 02-12-2007 at 02:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2007, 12:53 PM   #9
ChrisMWard
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 320d M Sport, E81 116d SE

Garage List
2006 120d SE  [0.00]
2007 335d A M Sport  [0.00]
1998 M3 Evo  [0.00]
2002 330d Sport  [0.00]
2004 330d Sport  [0.00]
If the tyre lost no or very little pressure it wouldn't have been utilising its run flat capabilities. Run flats construction are much stronger than conventional tyres.

Chris
Previously: 2007 335D MSport E90 Le Mans Blue, 2004 330D A Sport Silver Grey, 2002 330D A Sport Saphire Black, 2001 320D SE Touring Titanium Silver, 1998 M3 Evo Techno Violet, 1996 328i Sport Montreal Blue, 1994 325i Coupe Red, 1989 325i Sport 2 door Dolphin Grey,1986 325i SE 4 door Lachs
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2007, 02:05 PM   #10
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Pliskin View Post
Thanks mate

I guess I am "concerned" and thats why I am asking the questions BUT ... as i noticed the problem straight away and got it fixed straight away and it was no where near the side walls I do feel a bit less anxious to rush into buying a new tyre if I don't need to .. its only done 4,000 mile too you see !

The puncture was ditecly on the base of the tyre and the tyre lost very little pressure (if any) so my gut feeling is that the tyre will be ok ... there is just this little nagging doubt at the back of my mind with it being a special tyre ... but i am pretty sure that with it being on the base area and not the side, it should be ok.

The article you attached was interesting but does not give conclusive advise but I am leaning towards thinking it will be ok.

If it was a normal tyre I would say yes no problem ... its only with it being a RF that I am concerned like this.

Still enjoying the car though ... you too ?
Put it this way - I've driven a mile or so on an almost totally deflated 'normal' tyre to a tyre repair place, then had it re-fitted after a repair.

If I were in your shoes I'd probably run with the repair as well. What's the worst that could happen? If it blows out and doesn't function perfectly as a runflat it will still function better than a normal tyre.

Also ... I doubt that you are using the full potential of the the tyres ... when was the last time you had it up to 155mph?

Anyway .. so long as you are comfortable with it I think it's just a matter of judgement.

(and yes I'm still loving the car .... everything is good except the mpg!)
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2007, 02:50 PM   #11
booforty
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Also ... I doubt that you are using the full potential of the the tyres ... when was the last time you had it up to 155mph?
Today, commuting to work!
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2007, 02:55 PM   #12
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep
Drives: 330i SE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by beauforty View Post
I reckon you have your right slipper permanently glued to the accelerator, don't you Paul?!

A case of 'house comfy...car comfy....what's the difference...'!

Viv

Appreciate 0
      02-12-2007, 05:38 PM   #13
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauforty View Post
Haven't you delimited yet?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2007, 05:40 PM   #14
booforty
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Haven't you delimited yet?
That's the next mod....

The ModFather
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2007, 02:48 AM   #15
ZiM
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330d

which type of runflat tires are in bmws? is it the auxilliary type where there is some gadgetry attacheched to the wheel or the type where the side walls are really strong or what? the types are here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Run_flat_tire
which do we have?

on a side note... how do you get the car delimited? could it be done as part of a DMS ECU upgrade/remap?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2007, 02:57 AM   #16
Snake Pliskin
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for the comments.

Everyone I have spoke to all reckons it will be ok.

I suppose I am just paranoid because they are "special" tyres ie RF !

As soon as the tyre picked up the debris I immediately could tell and only drove the car 4 miles at no more than 30 mph to the tyre repair centre and at no time did the tyre look at all flat and no sensors sounded to warn of a flat.

It was well into the treaded area of the tyre and the side walls were totally unaffected.

Maybe it would have been easier if the tyre was a write off as I would have no choice than to get new one then

I guess the overall principle of repairing the puncture on the main tread area is no different to that of a none run flat and I've had plenty of those repaired in the past.
Appreciate 0