E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > E92 335i Dual Cone Air Intake

03-22-2016, 09:19 AM   #1
Anthonymb
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 335i

E92 335i Dual Cone Air Intake

Hey Guys,

I've got a 2006 E92 335i, not an expert on these things, so seeking a little advice

http://burgertuning.com/dcintake.html

Do you think its worth I get the BMS Dual Cone air intake from the US instead of my stock intake? mainly so I can hear the sound of the turbo spool and blow off valve a bit more. (Is it much more noticeable?)

They claim it adds 15+ hp... (I don't believe this) but I'm not concerned about more power gains. From a few comments on Youtube a few people have argued whether this is worse or better as it could be sucking in hot air instead? I've heard...

Bad

"This intake sucks hot air which is not good for the engine"

"You need to relocate them into the bumper for cold air"

Good

"It doesn't matter where they are mounted on N54 as they are pulling in air that passes through the turbo anyway / this is not relevant because after the intake, it gets heated by compression in the turbos, then cooled by the inter cooler before"

"This has been proven false already, tests have been done measuring the air temps and tons of dyno proven gains
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2016, 12:01 PM   #2
Dann
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 LCi 335i

Don't worry about them sucking in air as it's going to go through the turbos which is far hotter than the engine bay every will be.

Tonnes of people run them in the US and I haven't seen any complain of intake temp issues from them.

You may hear more, but if you want to hear much more, get the scuttle panel filters changed too (and remove the old panelling etc)
      03-25-2016, 07:00 AM   #3
AirAndre335i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i Pre Lci

When moving it won't make an issue.
But sitting in lots of London traffic kills my power as the intercooler, no matter how big will also get heat soaked.

So i prefer stock box as it pull in cooler outside ambient air.

All depends on your needs.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2016, 05:22 PM   #4
KiwiRD
Captain
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i M Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dann View Post
Don't worry about them sucking in air as it's going to go through the turbos which is far hotter than the engine bay every will be.

Tonnes of people run them in the US and I haven't seen any complain of intake temp issues from them.

You may hear more, but if you want to hear much more, get the scuttle panel filters changed too (and remove the old panelling etc)
This is true, however why exacerbate the problem? Compressed air doesn't have an absolute maximum temperature when exiting the turbos. If it's 20% hotter going in, then it'll 20% be hotter coming out, and the intercooler will have higher temperatures to deal with. Hot air is less dense than cold air, so any additional volumetric efficiency provided by dual cone intakes is offset by the lower oxygen content. Dual cone intakes are also p*ss ugly.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 03:16 PM   #5
Bambamyork
Registered
Rep
Drives: 335i

Love my DCI's

I have had DCI fitted for about a year now and I love them. I don't get excessively high temps although I do run a forge fmic too. The sound improvement is great much throatier but the spool noise is what gets me. Love it. Well worth their price but I wouldn't bother shipping from USA. Get some off here or try performance center in Sunderland. 👍👍👍
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 08:23 AM   #6
Rev City
Rep
Drives: N54 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambamyork View Post
I have had DCI fitted for about a year now and I love them. I don't get excessively high temps although I do run a forge fmic too. The sound improvement is great much throatier but the spool noise is what gets me. Love it. Well worth their price but I wouldn't bother shipping from USA. Get some off here or try performance center in Sunderland. ������
Im of the same opinion as above... I have the BMS intakes and run map 2 on JB4 with no temp issues what so ever. Everything else is stock apart from an upgraded charge pipe. I am also running JB4 mobile and have one my dials configured to watch the intake air temp. The temperature is mostly consistent but does slightly creep up if im stuck in traffic, but you can literally watch it drop back to normal as soon as you start moving again.

The noise of air being sucked in is really noticeable at the at the low end as you start to accelerate..... which I love!

They are really straight forward to fit but I followed a youtube video and the guy put them in without removing the pollen filter housing tray.... Its much much easier to get the back one in if you remove the tray!

Last edited by Rev City; 03-30-2016 at 08:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 11:45 AM   #7
Will maddox
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw e92 335i m sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev City View Post
Im of the same opinion as above... I have the BMS intakes and run map 2 on JB4 with no temp issues what so ever. Everything else is stock apart from an upgraded charge pipe. I am also running JB4 mobile and have one my dials configured to watch the intake air temp. The temperature is mostly consistent but does slightly creep up if im stuck in traffic, but you can literally watch it drop back to normal as soon as you start moving again.

The noise of air being sucked in is really noticeable at the at the low end as you start to accelerate..... which I love!

They are really straight forward to fit but I followed a youtube video and the guy put them in without removing the pollen filter housing tray.... Its much much easier to get the back one in if you remove the tray!
I still think you'd notice a lower Base IAT if the intakes were enclosed or shielded
Appreciate 0