E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Pads for 335i

10-27-2013, 03:20 AM   #1
D_o_S
LCI'd
Rep
Drives: 335i LCI

Pads for 335i

Hi guys,

I am writing here since US forums usually end up with Stoptech this or stoptech that, and since I'm from mainland EU, I'm guessing my selection of pads will be closer to what you guys have...

I'm looking for pads for my 335i. I do 3 or 4 trackdays per year, and I want a dual duty pad that I can drive both on street and track. Up till now, I have been running OEM, which I have some complaints about:
-control/modulation on the OEM pads for me is non existant - the car just seems to slow down at about the same rate after about 50% brake pedal force is applied
-fade after a few laps
-they don't last very long - I'm getting about 20k km from a set?

So I "upgraded" the rears to ATE ceramics recently, mainly because of their higher coefficient of friction (FG vs FF for OEM). After driving these for about 1000 km, I think I've had enough. It's not that you can't live with them, they offer much, MUCH better control (how much you push is what you get in terms of deceleration), and stop better from high speed (200 kmh+), but the lack of initial bite is outright dangerous, at least to me, in city driving.

I need pads that come in a fitment for BOTH FRONT AND REAR, not just front pads. I DON'T mind brake dust and noise.

So, I've been looking at:
1) Ferodo DS2500
finally, Ferodo has a fitment for both front and rear. DS2500 seem to be respected, on the other hand, reviews seem to be mixed - people like them, others say they have little initial bite, need to be warmed up, squeal, etc. I'd be willing to give them a shot, however what has struck me is people say they crumble? Apparently, this is after your overheat them and the resin holding the pads together evaporates... well, doesn't sound too safe to me.

2) Tarox Corsa
This pad seems to have it all - high friction coeff (0.43 to 0.47) and withstands temps up to 800 C (vs Ferodo only 550 C). However, Tarox stuff in general seems to get mixed reviews (I'm not a believer in "more pots the better" like they do on their calipers), regarding corsa pads I've heard that they're not really controllable, they have a mushy feeling, yet they stop awesome?!

3) Pagid S-line
If Pagid could get their act together, they'd produce a rear fitment, since they must have drawings from the RS19 pads they make in 335i fitment...

4) EBC anything (yellowstuff)
I don't want anything from EBC, cause of delamination issues they have had in the past... my friend had Yellows on a ISF and they held up even to track abuse just fine, I'm not taking chances though.

5) Endless ME20, MX72, MXRS etc
If money was no object, this is what I'd be going for. The ME20 can apparently be used on the street. Price per axle is 350 Euro, and I'm not quite ready for that yet... I could also consider something lower end from Endless, I'm in communications with them regarding options...

So, what would you guys recommend? I need high initial bite, good control/modulation primarily, durability as a bonus, don't care much for dust and noise. OEM pads are about 50 quid... I'm looking to spend around 150 quid per axle.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2013, 04:19 AM   #2
idnan
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 335i

Contact Ian@Carbotech Europe. I've not seen any bad reviews of his pads and he's a really knowledgeable guy to speak to

http://www.carbotech-europe.com/compounds.htm

I was recommended these for my 335i:

CT918 - XP8
CT1170 - XP8
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2013, 06:16 AM   #3
D_o_S
LCI'd
Rep
Drives: 335i LCI

Thanks for the idea, the XP8 seems to present itself as a track oriented compound that CAN be driven on the street with compromise (needs to be warmed up), which sounds a bit risky.

The AX6 can be driven on both street and light track, however, it seems to have issues with linearity...

So, I dunno...
Appreciate 0