E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Koni FSD -- The obvious choice for a more comfy ride?

07-09-2011, 05:48 PM   #1
Drivaar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Cool Koni FSD -- The obvious choice for a more comfy ride?

After searching through old threads, it seems like the Koni FSDs are the standout choice for getting a more comfy general ride + better cornering (both in comparison to the stock sport setup on the 335i).

Are there folks out there with stock sport springs + Koni FSD shocks who can confirm? (It seems like most people with Koni FSD shocks also have changed their springs...)

Also, how much $ to buy and install (i.e., completely "out the door") the Koni FSDs? Can I do anything with my stock sport shocks afterwards (~58K miles on them)?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2011, 08:11 PM   #2
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drivaar View Post
After searching through old threads, it seems like the Koni FSDs are the standout choice for getting a more comfy general ride + better cornering (both in comparison to the stock sport setup on the 335i).

Are there folks out there with stock sport springs + Koni FSD shocks who can confirm? (It seems like most people with Koni FSD shocks also have changed their springs...)

Also, how much $ to buy and install (i.e., completely "out the door") the Koni FSDs? Can I do anything with my stock sport shocks afterwards (~58K miles on them)?

Thanks!
I am running Koni FSDs with the stock springs and Pirelli P-Zero Nero non-RFTs on a 2007 335i E93 wirh sport suspension. The difference is night and day, This is the suspension that BMW should have supplied OEM.

I paid about $650 for the Konis and another $650 to have them installed in Manhattan.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England

Last edited by captainaudio; 11-19-2011 at 09:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2011, 11:58 PM   #3
gizmo335i
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 SBM E92 335i 6MT

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [9.42]
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
I am running Koni FSDs with the stock springs and Pirelli P-Zero Nero non-RFTs on a 2007 335i E93 wirh sport suspension. The difference is nigh and day, This is the suspension that BMW should have supplied OEM.

I paid about $650 for the Konis and another $650 to have them installed in Manhattan.

CA

You paid $650 for install?

I have FSD's and H&R Sport and it's a nice ride. But I have decided to switch to coilovers....the FSD's are sold but I will have my H&R's for sale pending me getting my coils installed.

BTW, you shouldn't have to pay maybe $300 max to have them installed...
      07-10-2011, 12:19 AM   #4
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

The only bad thing I've heard about the FSD's is they tend under or overreact at certain times over certain types of uneven terrain. Something to do with a weird wiggle effect. I don't have them nor have I ever been in a car with FSD's, just what I read from numerous people in different threads. It didn't sound like it happened all the time, just under certain conditions. Otherwise I've heard nothing but good things about them.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2011, 07:51 AM   #5
captainaudio
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tag824 View Post
The only bad thing I've heard about the FSD's is they tend under or overreact at certain times over certain types of uneven terrain. Something to do with a weird wiggle effect. I don't have them nor have I ever been in a car with FSD's, just what I read from numerous people in different threads. It didn't sound like it happened all the time, just under certain conditions. Otherwise I've heard nothing but good things about them.
I have not experienced the "wiggle effect". Whatever the downside of the FSDs may be they are are nowhere close to the downside of the stock dampers.

The poor performance of the stock 3 Series suspension on poor surfaces is not something that will effect everyone and is very dependent on the condition of the roads the car is driven in.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England

Last edited by captainaudio; 11-19-2011 at 09:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2011, 08:29 AM   #6
driverman
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i 6MT - SOLD

Quote:
I am running Koni FSDs with the stock springs and Pirelli P-Zero Nero non-RFTs on a 2007 335i E93 wirh sport suspension. The difference is night and day, This is the suspension that BMW should have supplied OEM.
CA
CA: How is it different, both in terms of handling and ride? Is there any downside to going with Koni FSDs? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2011, 09:06 AM   #7
captainaudio
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverman View Post
CA: How is it different, both in terms of handling and ride? Is there any downside to going with Koni FSDs? Thanks.
There is no comparison in the way the car handles potholes, construction plates, etc. "Pothole Explosions" are no longer an issue. On smooth surfaces the car feels as planted as it always did and perhaps a bit moreso. The tires no longer bounce around on bumpy curves. I found that this made the car feel very skitish and was not a characteristic of what I would consider to be a good handling car.

When I had the car in Palm Beach Florida I had no issue with the suspension and thought the suspension was fine. I had been told that the RFTs and the stock suspension were not well suited to NYC but after test driving in New Jersey and driving my own can in South Florida for 2,000 miles I felt that the warnings were egagerated. Once I had the car shipped to NYC I understood what they had been talking about. The RFTs were gone after 2 weeks in NYC but the car still bottomed out over road imperfections and the car bounced all over the place on bumpy surfaces. There are so many potholes on the roads here that no matter how hard you try to avoid them you are eventually going to hit one. I had to replace 4 tires and 3 rims. Last November I had the FSDs installed. I would have done it much sooner but they were not available for the E93 according to Koni. Ironically when they did become available it was the same part number as the coupe. Since I had then installed I have not had a "Pothole Explosion" or damaged a tire or rim.

In a nutshell all of the good characteristics of the stock suspension have remained and even improved upon and the bad aspects have been improved by an order of magnitude.

CA

Last edited by captainaudio; 11-19-2011 at 09:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2011, 09:12 AM   #8
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2000

they seem to be popular in Audi world. Ton of threads there. I find stock sport suspension nice on BMWs
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 11:31 PM   #9
driverman
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i 6MT - SOLD

Quote:
There is no comparison in the way the car handles potholes, construction plates, etc. "Pothole Explosions" are no longer an issue. On smooth surfaces the car feels as planted as it always did and perhaps a bit moreso. The tires no longer bounce around on bumpy curves. I found that this made the car feel very skitish and was not a characteristic of what I would consider to be a good handling car.

When I had the car in Palm Beach Florida I had no issue with the suspension and thought the suspension was fine. I had been told that the RFTs and the stock suspension were not well suited to NYC but after test driving in New Jersey and driving my own can in South Florida for 2,000 miles I felt that the warnings were eggagerated. Once I had the car shipped to NYC I understood what they had been talking about. The RFTs were gone after 2 weeks in NYC but the car still bottomed out over road imperfections and the car bounced all over the place on bumpy surfaces. There are so many potholes on the roads here that no matter how hard you try to avoid them you are eventually going to hit one. I had to replace 4 tires and 3 rims. Last November I had the FSDs installed. I would have done it much sooner but they were not available for the E93 according to Koni. Ironically when they did become available it was the same part number as the coupe. Since I had then installed I have not had a "Pothole Explosion" or damaged a tire or rim.

In a nutshell all of the good characteristics of the stock suspension have remained and even improved upon and the bad aspects have been improved by an order of magnitude.

CA
Thanks CA.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 05:07 AM   #10
GaryS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by driverman View Post
Is there any downside to going with Koni FSDs? Thanks.
I emphasized downsides in the other thread. They're very minor, and not worse than stock in any way. The main things are the advantages (1) softer over bumps (2) firmer in corners (3) great in bumpy corners (4) never bottoms out. The flaws I mentioned are just once in a while annoyances, and they should be even more minor in your car because my springs are a little stiffer and my wheelbase is shorter.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 10:47 AM   #11
cvc 22349a
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS View Post
I emphasized downsides in the other thread. They're very minor, and not worse than stock in any way. The main things are the advantages (1) softer over bumps (2) firmer in corners (3) great in bumpy corners (4) never bottoms out. The flaws I mentioned are just once in a while annoyances, and they should be even more minor in your car because my springs are a little stiffer and my wheelbase is shorter.
Gary,

I've got to disagree on #4 - never bottoms out. I've bottomed out front and rear over sharp bumps and was surprised that it felt like I didn't even have dampers on the car; I'm on stock sport springs too. It's only happened a couple times over the past 2-3 years though.
I agree they're an improvement over oe dampers and probally a good choice for the OP who stated he's looking for a 'comfy' damper.
      07-12-2011, 10:51 AM   #12
BBS
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I look at fsd's like how i look at my springs. Id rather have a linear rate spring than a progressive one. Knowing behavior at all times and all conditions is imperative to me.
      07-12-2011, 11:23 AM   #13
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1.9L of fury

dampers shouldn't necessarily have a linear curve like a spring though. Digressive damping curves are usually more preferred, and is often what is seen on higher end shock dynos.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 10:31 PM   #14
BBS
Second Lieutenant
Rep

But most shock dynos proportionally digress, no? I may be just VERY misinformed -__-. I can just imagine the fsds shock dyno looking like a quarter tit.
      07-12-2011, 10:46 PM   #15
JB335
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335is

Garage List
2011 BMW 335IS  [7.60]
I currently have H&R Sport springs sitting in my garage and plan on matching them with a set of shocks. I've been reading many threads and it seems like most people think that Koni Yellow Sport shocks go better with lowering springs, as opposed to the FSD's. Anyone have any personal feedback?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2011, 01:51 AM   #16
Drivaar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Thank you all for the replies! I feel very much inclined to try the FSDs now...

One last question: is there anyone in the California East Bay area who has tried the FSDs on Highway 880? That's the real test, coz that thing is in very bad condition, especially around Oakland and for many miles south.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 10:04 AM   #17
titaniumsilver
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: F30

Anyone knows does FSD will work on non sport stock suspension?

Any comments will be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 10:49 AM   #18
cvc 22349a
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniumsilver View Post
Anyone knows does FSD will work on non sport stock suspension?

Any comments will be appreciated.
Yes, per Koni's website.
      07-20-2011, 10:56 AM   #19
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

I recently found out that the FSD is meant only for the stock sport springs and not aftermarket one's when used on the e92 coupe. So lame.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 12:18 PM   #20
jwong77
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 530e

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drivaar View Post
Thank you all for the replies! I feel very much inclined to try the FSDs now...

One last question: is there anyone in the California East Bay area who has tried the FSDs on Highway 880? That's the real test, coz that thing is in very bad condition, especially around Oakland and for many miles south.

Thanks!
I have, but only once in Fremont. Was smooth for me. I've had my FSD's for about a month now, and I'm mighty impressed. Corners flatter than stock, comfortable over bumps. I've honestly haven't noticed too many negatives. BTW, I got mine installed for only 200 Sleek Motoring in Mountain View. Place was awesome deal for me. No complaints about them at all.
      07-20-2011, 03:15 PM   #21
hdrewh
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '09 E90

Having non-sport suspension, but wanting one, what springs (and maybe sway bar?) would be best paired with the Koni FSD's for better-than-ZSP performance + comfort?

2009 E90 328i Montego Blue, Black Leather, 6MT, ZPP, Logic 7, HD radio, CA, fold-down seats, PDC. ED pickup 6/12/2009
mods: Koni FSDs, Eibach Pro's, Sport/Heated Seats, BMW Perf. short shifter, M-tech shift knob/e-brake handle/steering wheel, split armrest, black grilles, 50% tint, 3M clear bra.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 09:29 PM   #22
captainaudio
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdrewh View Post
Having non-sport suspension, but wanting one, what springs (and maybe sway bar?) would be best paired with the Koni FSD's for better-than-ZSP performance + comfort?
There is a Eibach Spring Koni FSD combination availble,

CA

Appreciate 0