E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) > So Sebastian Vettel will soon be a 4 time F1 champ.

10-28-2013, 04:54 PM   #89
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by johanness View Post
I suggest you take up watching a new sport, like under-water basket weaving or something. There will always be winners and sore-losers. If you really want 'more even' then stick to Indy. *YAWN*

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but the most intelligent comments I've heard lately are here:
That's a lot of personal comments on what I should do and not + a thinly veiled insult. Celebrate the win but keep it civil or the moderators will step in.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 06:01 PM   #90
johanness
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice
Quote:
I suggest you take up watching a new sport, like under-water basket weaving or something. There will always be winners and sore-losers. If you really want 'more even' then stick to Indy. *YAWN*

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but the most intelligent comments I've heard lately are here:
That's a lot of personal comments on what I should do and not + a thinly veiled insult. Celebrate the win but keep it civil or the moderators will step in.
No, your missing mine and everyone else's point. Go take a chill pill or whatever you need to get by.

EDIT: I don't do 'thinly veiled' either. If I'd wanted to insult you, you'd know about it.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 06:15 PM   #91
solstice
Major General
Rep

Quote:
No, your missing mine and everyone else's point. Go take a chill pill or whatever you need to get by.

EDIT: I don't do 'thinly veiled' either. If I'd wanted to insult you, you'd know about it.
Congrats again. I'll leave it at that.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 11:04 PM   #92
thorny
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
Are the guys saying it's boring watching a different telecast than I am? This season has had some of the most interesting races since I've been watching the sport. Sure, it might not be the battle for first place but how much TV time is the RBR car actually getting? I think that Lotus has been the winner in terms of excitement and the battles between Mercedes, Ferrari, and Lotus have been awesome. Who cares if it's for second or third or even 9th position? Good racing is good racing and if you can't appreciate that then this sport just ain't for you.

Vettel won a race in a Toro Rosso and scored points in a Sauber and was the youngest to achieve both milestones. Haters gonna hate but he's got four titles to his name. If Hamilton and Alonso are so great and the teams they race for are so legendary then why the fuck aren't they winning? Stop blaming red bull for races that bore you and start putting the blame where it belongs... on the competition that continues to fail in stepping up their game.
This! So nice to see comments from people who actually understand the sport.

The problem is that Vettel lacks charisma of some other drivers, he is not perceived as cool, but in terms of pure driving talent he is on par with other legendary worldchampions. To me driving talent matters the most, but I do enjoy watching Kimi, Alonso and Hamilton's for their interesting personalities and tremendous talents who they all are.

Let's not forget that the F1 racing is about constructors championship as much as driver's title, but people tend to get hung up on drivers and their contribution to the overall success.

Congrats to Vettel and RBR! Step it up, competition!
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 11:22 PM   #93
cjwb1984
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW Z4 Sdrive35i

Apologize for going on a tangent from the Vettel topic, but I cant wait for the Honda McLaren days in 2015, Hopefully, Alonso will be the driver, wishful thinking with current contract status and all.

Adrian Newey is just superb.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 11:31 PM   #94
solstice
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjwb1984 View Post
Apologize for going on a tangent from the Vettel topic, but I cant wait for the Honda McLaren days in 2015, Hopefully, Alonso will be the driver, wishful thinking with current contract status and all.

+1.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 03:59 AM   #95
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjwb1984 View Post

I wonder if Williams and Head still inwardly groan everytime they recall their gross stupidly in not giving Newey the company stock he asked for in 1996 as reward for his part in creating the dominant car of that era?
If they had, they would now have more WCs than they could shake a stick at.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 04:20 AM   #96
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Oh and congrats to Vettel, he took his dominant car to another DWC. Can't knock him for that...but its doesn't prove anything - even Button managed a DWC in a dominant car and he isn't a particularly fast driver (relatively).
Vettel has still to prove himself to be among the best and for that he needs to race in the same team as the current top drivers in F1 (such as Alonso, Hamilton and maybe Kimi - still undecided about him)...they are happy to have other top drivers in the same team - Vettel however apparently doesn't, he likes his favoured status at RBR and (once the poor sap Webber finally clocked that he wasn't going to be allowed to win a DWC and quit) he nixed Kimi favoring the less threatening DR from STR - not a good sign.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 06:42 AM   #97
URBAN LEGEND
Rocky
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M5, 18 ZL1 1LE, 18 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorFunkyPants View Post
I wonder if Williams and Head still inwardly groan everytime they recall their gross stupidly in not giving Newey the company stock he asked for in 1996 as reward for his part in creating the dominant car of that era?
If they had, they would now have more WCs than they could shake a stick at.
And letting BMW go...
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 06:44 AM   #98
URBAN LEGEND
Rocky
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M5, 18 ZL1 1LE, 18 M3

This thread is just as good as the motor trend M5 against E63 thread. Just as good...
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 09:40 AM   #99
five_timer
no turbo, no auto, no iDrive, no kidding
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

Quote:
even Button managed a DWC in a dominant car and he isn't a particularly fast driver.

Vettel has still to prove himself to be among the best

the current top drivers in F1 (Hamilton)

Vettel however apparently doesn't, he likes his favoured status at RBR and he nixed Kimi
Wow! Good stuff. So 4-time champ Vettel still has to "prove himself" to you, however Hamilton's definitely a top driver, but not Button. Oh, and Vettel is controlling the RBR team. Did I miss something, or are you just making this up?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 10:31 AM   #100
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Do you follow F1?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 12:02 PM   #101
five_timer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Do you follow F1?
I assume that's a sarcastic query.

Yes, I follow it with dedication, have for decades. Thanks for asking.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 12:36 PM   #102
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by five_timer View Post
I assume that's a sarcastic query.

Yes, I follow it with dedication, have for decades. Thanks for asking.
Cool just checking...you seemed somewhat unaware of whats what is all.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 12:41 PM   #103
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
Vettel has now won six races in a row. It will be nine at the end of the season unless RBR messes with his car to send WEB off in style from a long F1 carrier. That is total domination and not very exciting to watch. Sure, there are always good battles for the other positions but the excitement level drops about 10x from a winner battle to a battle for 2nd and then keeps falling. Good battles for the win are what we all want to see. The competition really need to step it up next year. FIA is also aware of the risks to the sport if total domination runs for a long time, so they will do what they can with new regulations as well. DRS will in most cases do the trick as it did with all the different winners last year. it really re-juvenated F1, let's hope the field is more even next year to bring the battle for first back in every race. I'm tired of hearing about Vettel pullig out of the allowed DRS gap on the first lap.
This isn't the first time a team and driver has dominated. Schumi/Ferrari did it in an even more dominating fashion.

F1 will be just fine.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 01:08 PM   #104
solstice
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJetE90 View Post
This isn't the first time a team and driver has dominated. Schumi/Ferrari did it in an even more dominating fashion.

F1 will be just fine.
And it became boring that time as well. Think about it, why do you think DRS was introduced? It was done to make it more difficult to dominate a race Schumi style and it did it successfully for a while, re-juvinating F1 and made it more exciting than in a very long while. RBR and Vettel has now managed to defeat DRS by having a package that can pull out of the allowed DRS gap on lap 1 when DRS isn't allowed. I don't think F1 management is very happy about this development since the more excitement the more popularity and in the end $$$. Being fine is not the same as maximizing popularity and profits. I would think the same independent of what team and what driver managed to dominate like this. The solution is stronger competition which I hope we get next year. Brawn leaving Benz isn't a good start though.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 01:20 PM   #105
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
I still holds the opinion that its not RBR's fault that other teams arn't up to the challenge.
Sometimes might get a bit boring, but FOM can only do little.

Where as FIA determines legality and regulations for future seasons. But RBR develops the car within regulations and passed all FIA parc ferme tests and inspections.

The only thing others can do, is to change regulation (2014), bitch and moan, slice the tires, and change tire constructions.

Try not to be smug, but other teams need to bring the fight to RBR. Not the other way around.
      10-29-2013, 01:49 PM   #106
solstice
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SLAM View Post
I still holds the opinion that its not RBR's fault that other teams arn't up to the challenge.
Sometimes might get a bit boring, but FOM can only do little.

Where as FIA determines legality and regulations for future seasons. But RBR develops the car within regulations and passed all FIA parc ferme tests and inspections.

The only thing others can do, is to change regulation (2014), bitch and moan, slice the tires, and change tire constructions.

Try not to be smug, but other teams need to bring the fight to RBR. Not the other way around.
I fully agree with this.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 02:13 PM   #107
speedaddictM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonasaurus View Post
I was reading a week old thread on pistonheads.com and had to share this muahah

That damn finger
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 03:29 PM   #108
jonasaurus
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 [Sold]

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedaddictM3 View Post
That damn finger
He seems to have toned it done recently though
      10-29-2013, 04:43 PM   #109
five_timer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
why do you think DRS was introduced? It was done to make it more difficult to dominate a race Schumi style and it did it successfully for a while, re-juvinating F1 and made it more exciting than in a very long while. RBR and Vettel has now managed to defeat DRS by having a package that can pull out of the allowed DRS gap on lap 1 when DRS isn't allowed.
This brings up an interesting point. Most other years, there are times within the season when the other teams catch-up (albeit briefly), such as with Brawn and the diffuser. Teams constantly improve, and sometimes a team will bring an improvement to a race which is significant enough to put them on equal footing with the top team. The closest I've seen of that this year is Mercedes in qualifying, but not in race form. So either Red Bull is matching every other teams' progress one-for-one, or no other teams are improving.

But when you come down to it, I think the real wild-card in the equation is Vettel. How often does Webber pull out a > 1 sec gap on the first lap of a race? Yes, he's unlucky, and maybe he's hard on his car, but probability says that sooner or later, Webber should have a lucky race. But he never does!

On the other hand, Vettel consistently pulls out a big gap at the start of each race, time and time again. He's driving a car that may have qualified a few 10ths faster than the rest, yet he can pull a 2 second gap on lap 1 nearly every time. It's not just a fast car - it doesn't mathematically hold!

Vettel is obviously capable of doing something that none of the others (Webber, Hamilton, Rosberg, Alonso, Raikkonnen, etc) can do. Think about that.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 04:49 PM   #110
five_timer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Cool just checking...you seemed somewhat unaware of whats what is all.
I'd ask for a specific example, but given the quality of your opinions, I realize it wouldn't matter.
Appreciate 0