E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Liquid wrap question

07-24-2016, 09:20 PM   #1
CantCatchMe
Lieutenant Colonel
Romania
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i xdrive msport(E92)

Liquid wrap question

I recently have been flirting with diping my car. I wanted to vinyl wrap it but I have too many imperfections. I'll have to get a few pictures tomorrow to get an idea what some of you think. I believe the liquid wrap can cover those imperfections easily whereas vinyl can't for my car. I'm going with matte white base with blue pearls. If anyone has done their car the dip route, post some pictures. I do plan on doing it myself to experience the application process.
VRSF 7" IC, VRSF CP, aFe panel filter, VRSF DP, Pure Inlet Pipe, MHD/Twisted Tuned, Performance Exhaust, Koni Yellows on Eibach Pro Kit springs, Turner adjustable front endlinks, R1 Concepts Slotted Rotors w/ Hawk 5.0 pads, VMR's 710, Fuel It Stage 2 LPFP, 3.5 TMAP, CYBA 3.8" black chrome exhaust tips, Orange Vinyl Wrap, CF bits, coding, Pure Stage 2 turbo w/ DV+(NGK plugs), xHP trans flash, and more.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2016, 10:34 PM   #2
9K Performance
Registered
Rep
Drives: E92 N54

I suggest cleaning it up then wrapping it. Depending on how bad your imperfections are it can be covered. We wrapped a 335i that was completely keyed and you cannot even tell it ever happened. Unless you have cracked bumpers or waves you should be okay.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2016, 03:03 AM   #3
Cdutch513
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 BMW 328i

Garage List
2010 BMW 328I  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9K Performance
I suggest cleaning it up then wrapping it. Depending on how bad your imperfections are it can be covered. We wrapped a 335i that was completely keyed and you cannot even tell it ever happened. Unless you have cracked bumpers or waves you should be okay.
Sorry to jack the thread, but how much does it run to wrap an e90
      07-25-2016, 11:06 AM   #4
CantCatchMe
Lieutenant Colonel
Romania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdutch513 View Post
Sorry to jack the thread, but how much does it run to wrap an e90
Depending on what you want done, color, brand of wrap, etc...$1,600-2,700. I was going to wrap my vehicle 3M sunburnt orange and I wasn't getting my mirrors, roof, or spoiler wrapped. He wanted $1,650.

If you do it yourself, it's cheaper but the front and rear bumper is a pita. I've done roofs and other minor exterior trim work. My car is not in great shape for vinyl wrap
VRSF 7" IC, VRSF CP, aFe panel filter, VRSF DP, Pure Inlet Pipe, MHD/Twisted Tuned, Performance Exhaust, Koni Yellows on Eibach Pro Kit springs, Turner adjustable front endlinks, R1 Concepts Slotted Rotors w/ Hawk 5.0 pads, VMR's 710, Fuel It Stage 2 LPFP, 3.5 TMAP, CYBA 3.8" black chrome exhaust tips, Orange Vinyl Wrap, CF bits, coding, Pure Stage 2 turbo w/ DV+(NGK plugs), xHP trans flash, and more.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2016, 03:14 PM   #5
jellish
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantCatchMe View Post
I recently have been flirting with diping my car. I wanted to vinyl wrap it but I have too many imperfections. I'll have to get a few pictures tomorrow to get an idea what some of you think. I believe the liquid wrap can cover those imperfections easily whereas vinyl can't for my car. I'm going with matte white base with blue pearls. If anyone has done their car the dip route, post some pictures. I do plan on doing it myself to experience the application process.
I dipped my car using the professional kit (got the sprayer, etc.). Ended up paying like $800 for the equipment which is still sitting in my garage.

I would go wrapped if I did it again. Even in the areas I got it sprayed perfectly, it had a rough feel, where vinyl is buttery smooth.

Additionally, I had a few chips on my rocker panels/etc. I figured the dip would fill them in like you did. Not the case. It will settle to the same thickness everywhere you spray it, so a chip will still show as an indention. It will cover light scratches, but they must be really light.
      07-26-2016, 12:56 AM   #6
NightStalker
Rep
Drives: Audi

Vinyl is smooth. But dip is also smooth depending on how it's done. The new top coat making it satin or high gloss gives it a very smooth feel...
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2016, 08:13 AM   #7
jellish
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVS View Post
Vinyl is smooth. But dip is also smooth depending on how it's done. The new top coat making it satin or high gloss gives it a very smooth feel...
I had the satin coat, and unfortunately it still felt nothing like vinyl.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2016, 01:30 PM   #8
NightStalker
Rep
Drives: Audi

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuroclast
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVS View Post
I had the satin coat, and unfortunately it still felt nothing like vinyl.
What pearl and color did you use? Sometimes when you don't do 50% overlap and move the gun away un evenly it produces a texture that isn't smooth at all. I can speak from experience
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2016, 09:39 PM   #9
f30luxline
e92 - 335i
United_States
Rep
Drives: thisonetimeatbandcamp

Plasti is not a liquid wrap. Plasti is still a rubber so it's not even comparable to a conventional wrap.

You want liquid wrap go with Halo. This is actually a liquid polymer (vinyl) which is more durable than a wrap and has the same peeling properties as Plasti.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2016, 09:43 PM   #10
CantCatchMe
Lieutenant Colonel
Romania
Rep

I decided to go with vinyl. I just gotta sand some parts on my bumper. Thanks for the opinions.
Appreciate 0