E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Why can't BMW manage this level of customer service?

06-10-2009, 08:34 AM   #1
NathanJT
Techie Geek
England
Rep
Drives: 330d M Sport Manual

Why can't BMW manage this level of customer service?

So, I've already decided that I will not be buying another BMW when the time comes to trade mine in. Sorry but the dealers local to me really don't deserve the business.

What makes it worse is the following:

With "Monkey boy" having been born last August Jane and I quickly went out and bought a 55 reg Renault Scenic. We had the intention of getting a new one once the new model was out, and still do.

The warrenty expired on the car in January but even so we were happy that the Renault dealer that sold it had been honest about it's service history etc and that it certainly wasn't a lemon.

So, fast forwad to the hot weather the other week and, sweltering in the car, we turned the aircon up to full...... nothing, dead, no blowy cold stuff!

Annoyed and hot I did a bit of googling when I got home and found it to be a well known issue on the car and that the fix is a replacement resistor pack. This is unfortunately burried in the dashboard and requires the whole thing to be removed.... big job!

Anyway, as I had no intention of returning to the dealer in Worcester I emailed Renault UK to see the best course of action. This is what happened:

1) Within 2 hours I had a call from Renault UK to say that they had a dealer close by (Burton on trent) and that they'd like to book the car in for first thing Monday (this is Friday afternoon).

2) The dealer called immediately after that call ended and arranged for the car to be collected and a courtesy car delivered.

3) Monday morning, exactly 8:30 (as arranged) guy turns up and swaps cars.

4) 10:30 I get a call from Renault UK to say the fault has been verified and that the repair is £405+vat (not a great deal but it IS a Renault remember).

5) Even though the car is well out of it's warrenty they want to pay 70% of the costs and would I like them to go ahead and complete the work?

6) I wake up on the floor with someone saying "hello" down the phone!

7) 3pm car is back on the drive. Job complete.

So, my point; I don't want coffee on arrival, I don't care how sharp your suit looks or how short the skirt is on the receptionist, I want service!

BMW in Derby cannot deliver that as far as my experience is concerned (and I've heard Sytner Notts are just as bad)

In my mind BMW got completely blown away by Renault and THAT's scary!!!
      06-10-2009, 09:46 AM   #2
Mr.N
BM Baby
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanJT View Post
I don't want coffee on arrival, I don't care how sharp your suit looks or how short the skirt is on the receptionist, I want service!
Horses for courses I suppose........

Joking aside, I'm glad to hear of your good times. It just goes to show that there are some car firms that care eh?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2009, 09:56 AM   #3
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
I think it is more down to individual garages and staff rather than what make of car.

There are a few dealerships round my way that I wouldn't touch after having dealings with, wouldn't put me off buying that brand, would just go a little further to find the right dealer.
      06-10-2009, 10:00 AM   #4
squeezebm
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi

Stratsones/Bridgate Derby have always been crap and Sytners Nottm are worse than ever its a shame but service is what really lets BMW down nowadays,it shouldn't be hit and miss you are meant to be buying a "premium" product .
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2009, 10:50 AM   #5
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
If a manufacturer genuinely cares about it's customer service then they should ensure that all their dealers/franchises provide the same level of customer service across the board imo.

BMW and whoever else for that matter should have 'mystery shoppers' in place to check that a required level of service is being provided...........that is if they are that concerned of course. Mind you, all this starts at the top and filters down within any company so............
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2009, 10:55 AM   #6
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I G20

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
I've had nothing but good results from the 3 BMW delaers I've dealt with, for service and warranty cases, touches wood, kiss of death and all that.

I have to say your experience with Renault sounds very good Nathan.

Last edited by creepy coupe; 06-12-2009 at 05:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2009, 01:02 PM   #7
Carrera RSR
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: BMW

Having briefly worked for a key Brand/Franchise I can honestly say I would never work in the motor trade ever again. I worked in the easier times when sales and income were easier to come by and it was bad enough then. Today's financial climate must make it hell. In one sense I feel sorry for the current staff who have management demanding more effort, more hours and cut costs on one hand and customers demanding more time, service and work to retain their loyalty and business. However I have been on the recieving end of just plain rude service. And there's no excuse for that.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2009, 03:46 PM   #8
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '06 330D Le Mans Blue

Garage List
Quote:
So, my point; I don't want coffee on arrival, I don't care how sharp your suit looks or how short the skirt is on the receptionist, I want service!
Oh well......it's often a nice sight!
      06-10-2009, 04:04 PM   #9
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Dave View Post
Oh well......it's often a nice sight!
Not for me it 'aint...........and I've yet to be greeted at a dealers by a muscular bare torso, with good looks, a brain and be 'in proportion' to the rest of the body.........oh well.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2009, 04:07 PM   #10
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Sitting behind a reception desk would do my head in - otherwise I'd greet you at the dealership Helen, being a muscular tanned builder
      06-10-2009, 04:22 PM   #11
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Dave View Post
Sitting behind a reception desk would do my head in - otherwise I'd greet you at the dealership Helen, being a muscular tanned builder
OMG Yorkshire's very nice this time of year Dave.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2009, 04:31 PM   #12
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
      06-10-2009, 04:32 PM   #13
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by willhollin View Post
Sorry Will, I 'will' resist from any further advances!!
      06-10-2009, 04:39 PM   #14
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by willhollin View Post
Dave not your type then Will....................or maybe he means it towards me.

Actually Dave, fu*k what Will thinks etc........any pics?

Last edited by beemerbird; 06-10-2009 at 05:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2009, 06:17 PM   #15
flyfs6
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW i7

I've been in a similar situation where Renault aftersales/cs were miles better than BMW who dont call you back.

Our Renault was a year out of warranty and they still fixed it charging for less than 10% of the price quoted . Still wont make me buy a Renault again
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2009, 01:11 AM   #16
Oil Burner
Captain
Rep
Drives: E93 330d SE Auto

few years ago my wife had a clio that had massive problems, misfiring etc still in warranty period so went into the local shite renault garage it came from, they diagnosed faulty sparkplugs, and said this was a non warranty item, and therefore it was over £100 quid to replace them. Had a blazing row with them, but wouldn't budge so had to cough up cash to get the car back....

However on complaining to Renault UK, they agreed should not have failed with only 10,000 miles on the clock, and sent a cheque for a full refund and more. Actually made my wife feel quite good about the whole situation in the end. Still she says she will never buy another Renault, and we have not gone near any of the local dealers taht are part of the same "fishy" group
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2009, 06:55 AM   #17
PeteJ
Diesel Head
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport Convertible E93

I'll have the blonde in the short skirt and the coffee please...
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2009, 08:40 AM   #18
magic77
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: ex- 335i

I think you are righ it is down to the dealer and the staff, I've dealt with many brands and many dealers on many occsasions one dealer of the same brand was great but another a total loss and would put you off buying the brand again, Sometimes its even the depatments. Certain dealer in farnborough their sales dept is great but I wouldnt give the service department a model car to fix no customer service or skill. Some of the jobs they did for me car came out worse.

Its just a case of hunt for a dealer until you get a good one and then dont move.
      06-11-2009, 03:45 PM   #19
ghb
Private
Rep
Drives: F36 428i

Quote:
So, I've already decided that I will not be buying another BMW when the time comes to trade mine in. Sorry but the dealers local to me really don't deserve the business.

BMW in Derby cannot deliver that as far as my experience is concerned (and I've heard Sytner Notts are just as bad)

In my mind BMW got completely blown away by Renault and THAT's scary!!!
How about giving the Service Manager or the head of the dealership at BMW Derby the benefit of this story and get them to explain to you why Renault is providing better customer service than them. While you are at it let BMW UK know that you have decided not to buy another because of your experiences and also mention that to your local dealer. If you get no joy then you are right to take your business elsewhere.

But why are we getting so much knocking of dealers these days? BMW service used to be excellent although I haven't personally had any recent let downs to say that it isn't. They used to do all the sort of things that you list with Renault and my experience goes back almost unbroken to 1983. In that time I have still had less than 10 days total with a car off the road and when it has been the dealers have delivered the goods and BMW UK have equally replaced parts outside of warranty or covered labour etc. That is why they still have my business and I still think they produce cars that are fabulous to drive and have great engines.

However in those days they weren't looking after much in the way of fleet cars or a wide variety of models but when you got to the point that they were selling more 3 Series saloons than Mondeos and they had pitched at a bigger market share with the 1 Series I wonder if they just couldn't keep customer service where it should be now they have the volume to deal with, despite how little servicing cars actually need these days.

Anyway if I get crap service from any dealer come the time my first port of call will be the "sharp suit" in the "big office". If their service as a brand really has declined as much as some make out then they will start to lose their market share. Dare I say it sounds like some places need some better managers who understand responsibilty and leadership but that is probably a whole separate thread.
Previous: BMW 323i E30 2-dr Sapphire Blue 1983; BMW 323i E30 2-dr Alpine White 1985;BMW 530i E34 Blue (can't remember exactly which!) 1988; BMW 325i E36 Diamond Black 1993; BMW 523iSE E39 Montreal Blue 1998; BMW 525iSE E39 Toledo Blue 2002; BMW 330iM E92 Individual Midnight Blue 2009; BMW 428iM F36 Mineral Grey 2015
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2009, 02:51 AM   #20
NathanJT
Techie Geek
England
Rep
Drives: 330d M Sport Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghb View Post
How about giving the Service Manager or the head of the dealership at BMW Derby the benefit of this story and get them to explain to you why Renault is providing better customer service than them. While you are at it let BMW UK know that you have decided not to buy another because of your experiences and also mention that to your local dealer.
Already done prior to this experience.

I'll probably be off to AUDI or MB when it comes to changing my car, Jane however will be getting another Scenic in about March!
      06-12-2009, 04:25 AM   #21
xenon
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 2021 G21 330i M-Sport

BMW GB couldn't give a shiny shite about how the dealers perform, in my experience. I've owned 5 BMWs, all but one fron new, and the ownership experience has generally been positive. However, I shall purchase an Audi or MB next because of BMWs criminal stance on the cracked wheels issue. I won't buy another.
Previous: 2018 A6 Avant S-Line MMI+, 2014 F31 320d M-Sport, 2013 F10 520d M-Sport, 2011 F10 530d M-Sport, 2008 320i M-Sport Coupe, 2002 325i, 2001 318i valvetronic, 1998 318i, 1996 525i, 1990 Porsche 944S2
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2009, 04:55 PM   #22
noodlefreakuk
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d

i concurr with that

bmw sytner notts totally useless and to be avoided.

on the other hand i've got an audi too for my sins and audi sytner opposite have been top notch.
Appreciate 0