Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Tires on the wrong way?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

02-16-2014, 09:51 PM   #1
tennis_pr0
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2--7 BMW 335i coupe

Tires on the wrong way?

I bought my cpo 335i two weeks ago but I just realized the tires may be on the incorrect way.

The arrows, or whatever those things are on the sides of the tires, are pointing backwards on the two front tires, which is the pic I have here, but in the rear the arrows go forward. Should all the arrows on the tires be going forward?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 11:06 PM   #2
slupie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 328iT, Montego Blau

Are there any arrows that have ROTATION next them? If yes then the arrow should point forward. Check on the tire manufacturers website if the tires that you ahve on your car are directional or not.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 12:14 AM   #3
SSW
I Can't Drive 55
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i (E90)

Garage List
The "arrows" in the pic are not the ones that would necessarily show how the tire should be mounted.

You should either see the word "Outside" (meaning the outside facing part of the tire) or the word "Rotation" with a directional arrow next to the word indicating the direction the tire should turn (imprinted on the side of each tire).

Look for something like that and, if you don't see it, you may have to take the tire off to check the other side to find it.

Good luck!
      02-17-2014, 07:31 AM   #4
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by swingshiftworker View Post
The "arrows" in the pic are not the ones that would necessarily show how the tire should be mounted.

You should either see the word "Outside" (meaning the outside facing part of the tire) or the word "Rotation" with a directional arrow next to the word indicating the direction the tire should turn (imprinted on the side of each tire).

Look for something like that and, if you don't see it, you may have to take the tire off to check the other side to find it.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 07:32 AM   #5
tennis_pr0
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2--7 BMW 335i coupe

Quote:

Good luck!
The back tires are on the other way, but there is nothing on them that says rotations or anything like that, so I guess it doesn't matter what direction these tires are on. It just seemed like those symbols in the picture I posted indicated direction.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 08:49 AM   #6
shadow191
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 Volvo XC90 R-Design

In any case, the tires should be facing the same direction, so figure out which one it should be and correct it. Sometimes they swap the wheels left to right when putting them back on by mistake and that's probably what happened here either to your front or rear.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 09:16 AM   #7
evoix
Major
Rep
Drives: X3m Evo IX Evo X

check the outside of the tires and their should be a specific arrow pointing to the left or right. Thats how you tell if they are directional . IF not you can look at the thread sometimes but not always a good indication of direction.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 10:01 AM   #8
stiggie
Private
South Africa
Rep
Drives: E90 330D

Garage List
2007 330d  [0.00]
Some tyres is a set and only has a specific place. It will say left or right or outside and the direction. If tyres is fitted wrong it will make a huge difference to your handling.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 10:03 AM   #9
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis_pr0 View Post
The back tires are on the other way, but there is nothing on them that says rotations or anything like that, so I guess it doesn't matter what direction these tires are on. It just seemed like those symbols in the picture I posted indicated direction.
How about telling us what brand/model tires you have...that might help
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 11:27 AM   #10
SSW
I Can't Drive 55
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis_pr0 View Post
The tire pattern can also help to indicate the proper rotational direction AND, if you go to Tire Rack or other tire sites, they'll normally picture the tires in the way they should be mounted, which should also help you figure it out.
      02-17-2014, 11:48 AM   #11
els_86
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 335xi

Hey guys so I actually created a new account. I was having problems with my password and logging in, so I made this one and this is the one I will be using permanently. These are the tires.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....r=Base%20Model

You can see it has arrow like symbols. The ones in my rear are facing forwards and the ones in the front are facing backwards. Does this matter? I don't have the time to switch this myself over the next week so if it needs to be fixed I would just make a quick trip to the dealer.

On another note, I have COBB tune, should I remover the tune if I do take it in for them to fix the tires? I don't want them to read my ECU and document that is has been flashed...
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 12:01 PM   #12
SSW
I Can't Drive 55
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by els_86 View Post
Hey guys so I actually created a new account. I was having problems with my password and logging in, so I made this one and this is the one I will be using permanently. These are the tires.

You can see it has arrow like symbols. The ones in my rear are facing forwards and the ones in the front are facing backwards. Does this matter? I don't have the time to switch this myself over the next week so if it needs to be fixed I would just make a quick trip to the dealer.

On another note, I have COBB tune, should I remover the tune if I do take it in for them to fix the tires? I don't want them to read my ECU and document that is has been flashed...
Are you the OP?

The tire pattern is pretty symmetrical and it "may" not matter, but I know that if I had tires mounted differently, it would make me go "nuts" unless there was some logical reason for the difference. So, I would go w/pics from Tire Rack w/the point of the arrows going forward in a counterclockwise direction.

The Cobb tune "shouldn't" matter. You're just bringing the car in the remount front tires so that they match the direction of the arrows on the rears. No reason for them to hook up your car to a computer to do that.

Last edited by SSW; 02-17-2014 at 12:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 12:10 PM   #13
els_86
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Are you the OP?

The tire pattern is pretty symmetrical and it "may" not matter, but I know that if I had tires mounted differently, it would make me go "nuts" unless there was some logical reason for the difference. So, I would go w/pics from Tire Rack w/the point of the arrows going forward in a counterclockwise direction.

The Cobb tune "shouldn't" matter. You're just bringing the car in the remount front tires so that they match the direction of the arrows on the rears. No reason for them to hook up your car to a computer to do that.
Ok I mean isn't it standard for them to read the key when you bring it in though? If they read the key they would surely find the tune. I think I will just remove it to be safe. It's cobb and uninstall is super quick.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 12:16 PM   #14
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by els_86 View Post

Those tires are symmetric.

Before you ask what that means, read this:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...jsp?techid=180
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 12:18 PM   #15
els_86
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
Those tires are symmetric.

Before you ask what that means, read this:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...jsp?techid=180
I know what that means. To my eye they did not look symmetric and it looked like those arrow looking pictures on the sides of my tires were the to indicate direction. I was apparently wrong, thank you for your feedback.

Can anyone else however confirm that these tires are symmetric and don't need to all be facing the same direction?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 01:17 PM   #16
shadow191
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 Volvo XC90 R-Design

OP, can't you just swap the wheels yourself? It doesn't look like they mounted the tires backwards, it looks like they installed the wheels on the wrong side. Maybe previous owner "rotated" them.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 01:27 PM   #17
els_86
First Lieutenant
Rep

Yeah true I've been meaning to use my new jack pad adapters anyway lol
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 02:22 PM   #18
SSW
I Can't Drive 55
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow191 View Post
OP, can't you just swap the wheels yourself? It doesn't look like they mounted the tires backwards, it looks like they installed the wheels on the wrong side..
That was too easy! I just hate "trick" questions.
      02-17-2014, 03:15 PM   #19
AughtOcho335
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW E92 335i

I find it amusing when I see tires on backwards. Especially when it's a performance car. Silly children.
Appreciate 0