E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Considering Supersprint Exhaust....

01-16-2013, 02:29 PM   #1
fongboy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d

Considering Supersprint Exhaust....

I'm really considering the Supersprint exhaust for our US 335d.I plan not to include the DPF removal downpipe as it will throw a code and what not. I'm still hesitate to pull the trigger though cause I'm not sure if the system will work and not throw any codes even with the DPF. Any of you have advice? It would really be appreciated. I want some sound from this torque monster!

Here's the link:
http://www.supersprint.com/en/prod-2...093E280BA.aspx
      01-16-2013, 02:52 PM   #2
cssnms
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

It will not throw codes so long as all of your cats and sensors are left in place. As for the improvement in sound, do not get your hopes up. The improvement is negligible. That said, installing a larger diameter mandrel bent center pipe (cat back) and a high flow muffler I expect you will pick up a couple more ponies.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 04:39 PM   #3
fongboy
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cssnms View Post
It will not throw codes so long as all of your cats and sensors are left in place. As for the improvement in sound, do not get your hopes up. The improvement is negligible. That said, installing a larger diameter mandrel bent center pipe (cat back) and a high flow muffler I expect you will pick up a couple more ponies.
Thanks for the tip. I know I wont't gain much sound, but it'll def be sufficient. So is the supersprint a direct bolt on? Does it have holes for the sensors? Also, which parts should I order from Supersprint? Thanks again
      01-16-2013, 05:18 PM   #4
cssnms
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

You should contact Supersprint directly for answers to your questions.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 07:21 PM   #5
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by fongboy View Post
I'm really considering the Supersprint exhaust for our US 335d.I plan not to include the DPF removal downpipe as it will throw a code and what not. I'm still hesitate to pull the trigger though cause I'm not sure if the system will work and not throw any codes even with the DPF. Any of you have advice?
Unless you replace ONLY the rear mufflers, it's going to throw codes, as the pipe replacements (980242, 980213) remove the SCR catalyst.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 07:27 PM   #6
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 | X5 xdrive 35i MSport

Garage List
I would contact Evolve, I know they have been group buy deals and because they are able to delete the DPF with there tunes they should be able to answer both your questions
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 08:27 PM   #7
sergiy'd
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 bmw 335d

i would just try a reputable shop to build you an exhaust on the spot with mufflers of your choice
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 08:49 PM   #8
fongboy
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
Unless you replace ONLY the rear mufflers, it's going to throw codes, as the pipe replacements (980242, 980213) remove the SCR catalyst.
Gotcha ya. Didn't know that, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkPOTO View Post
I would contact Evolve, I know they have been group buy deals and because they are able to delete the DPF with there tunes they should be able to answer both your questions
I would love to contact them for a deal, but I'm not sure about a new tune cause that seems a bit pricy...
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergiy'd View Post
i would just try a reputable shop to build you an exhaust on the spot with mufflers of your choice
I was thinking of this too. Plus it would def be cheaper.
      01-17-2013, 05:33 AM   #9
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 335d

My friend here in Puerto Rico did the muffler thing ONLY and trust me you could barely hear it, I believe that if you remove the DPF then the sound will improve if any slightly correct me on this Chris since you have done something to this effect. I forgot to mention to you he was going to put the SPRINT Booster I will call him today to see his results
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 05:44 AM   #10
anielsen71
Major
Denmark
Rep
Drives: F36 435xd

Garage List
After I removed my DPF, the sound from the exhaust is different. More metalic...hard to explain.
But when driving the sound is about the same....

Ex: E46 330d, E91 330dA
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 08:27 AM   #11
FormerRotor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d, M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
I would love to contact them for a deal, but I'm not sure about a new tune cause that seems a bit pricy...
Honestly, I would suggest that a tune should be performed over an exhaust if the pricing is an issue. From a $/hp perspective, that is a no contest. Similarly, you probably will not be able to maximize the performance return on your DPF delete, etc, investment without a tune. ...just food for thought.

My Picture Threads (Oldest to Newest): 1 2 3
Join BMW CCA! (Use my link and I get credit )
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 08:38 AM   #12
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep

@Rotor very true on this, after I made the RENNtech move my car added another 70 whp just with the flash ALONE!! The exhaust at any given car usually renders anywhere from 7-10 whp if so, unless your driving supped up 911 or GTR then its a different story but i doubt you will gain 10 whp on a DIESEL. i might be wrong on this though!!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 11:10 AM   #13
sergiy'd
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 bmw 335d

but consider the sound you are making when you take off at the light, that turbo spool on a diesel is sublime
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 11:10 AM   #14
fongboy
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puerto Rican 335d View Post
My friend here in Puerto Rico did the muffler thing ONLY and trust me you could barely hear it, I believe that if you remove the DPF then the sound will improve if any slightly correct me on this Chris since you have done something to this effect. I forgot to mention to you he was going to put the SPRINT Booster I will call him today to see his results
Your completely right. Thanks.I guess our DPF really restricts alot of power/sound for us Maybe the d should just stay as a sleeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by anielsen71 View Post
After I removed my DPF, the sound from the exhaust is different. More metalic...hard to explain.
But when driving the sound is about the same....
I know what your talking about. It def does. I really wanna hear those turbos too
I'm not looking for all around loud, just when I get on it
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerRotor View Post
Honestly, I would suggest that a tune should be performed over an exhaust if the pricing is an issue. From a $/hp perspective, that is a no contest. Similarly, you probably will not be able to maximize the performance return on your DPF delete, etc, investment without a tune. ...just food for thought.
Your right, I guess exhaust is kinda stupid without the correct tune. Someday though, I will get ReNNtech or Evolve.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puerto Rican 335d View Post
@Rotor very true on this, after I made the RENNtech move my car added another 70 whp just with the flash ALONE!! The exhaust at any given car usually renders anywhere from 7-10 whp if so, unless your driving supped up 911 or GTR then its a different story but i doubt you will gain 10 whp on a DIESEL. i might be wrong on this though!!
Did you have the JBD before your ReNNtech or is that 70whp gain from stock?
Thanks for the tip though
      01-17-2013, 12:09 PM   #15
FormerRotor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d, M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergiy'd View Post
but consider the sound you are making when you take off at the light, that turbo spool on a diesel is sublime
Agreed, But...

Quote:
Your completely right. Thanks.I guess our DPF really restricts alot of power/sound for us Maybe the d should just stay as a sleeper
...agreed more. When in doubt, I'd always rather have a car that is faster than it looks or sounds than a car that looks or sounds faster than it is.

That said, I see nothing wrong with doing JBD (lighter investment) and an exhaust for looks and maybe a touch of extra power.

My Picture Threads (Oldest to Newest): 1 2 3
Join BMW CCA! (Use my link and I get credit )

Last edited by FormerRotor; 01-17-2013 at 05:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 12:12 PM   #16
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep

Never had JBD I always used RENNtech in my 02 MCS and now the 335d, its 70 whp gain from Stock to RENNtech
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 07:55 AM   #17
Gardus
Private
Italy
Rep
Drives: Megane RS 250 Cup

Hi guys, about getting some nice sound from 6+ cylinder diesels, the DPF is a real obstacle.
I've got some experience both on inline 6 BMW and V6 VAG engines.
The best solution, both for performance and sound, is to remove every silencer or DPF, and leave just a small silencer on the centre or rear section.

In the case of the 335d, the stock system, as you'll know, is composed by:
Downpipe including DPF and Ceramic cat:

The front Y-pipe goes from 70 to 2x55mm each (2x60mm on the 335i, and they include two cats)

The centre section is 2x55 before the silencer, 2x60 after (2x60 all the way on the 335i).

The muffler have 60 mm pipes, and a pressure balance connecting pipe in the middle. These are taken directly from the 335i, and that pipe is there to reduce droning on the petrol engine...no need on the diesel!

This is the view from below the car:

What I would do is fit the Supersprint downpipe, this way you'll remove the DPF and have the main difference in sound.
The only issue is that this way you need to have a ECU reflash to remove the regeneration cycles, and tune the turbo pressure and EGR to get a good power delivery and not too much smoke.

Another issue is that the car will emit COx and NOx, so a solution is to fit a cat on the exhaust line...the cheapest way is to cut the front pipes after the Y-pipe, and fit the OEM 335i front pipes that include two ceramic cats!
These will greatly reduce emission, smell and also add a bit of backpressure which is not bad for turbo spool up. They also remove any metallic sound given by long uninterrupted pipe sections. Find some used ones from people who went decat on their 335i...
You can also use the x-pipe from the 335i, removing the 335d centre silencer.

Once you have those you can fit just the racing mufflers from Supersprint (part. number 046124 + 046144)

You'll end up with a very free flowing exhaust line, sounding real nice, with low emissions and not too expensive!

Obviously you can ask Supersprint for a front Y-pipe with their metallic sport cats (very expensive) and their x-pipe, but you'll spend much more for the same result.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 08:14 AM   #18
cssnms
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

As you can see below, the exhaust found on the US spec 335d (2nd pic) and its' European counterpart are different.

The US spec 335d has a cat (1) to reduce the NOx, which also has a NOx sensor before and aft which triggers the DEF system. We understand what we need to do to get more sound out of our exhaust, but our challenge here in the US is the issue of reprogramming the ECU to accomodate the DPF removal. There are tuning companies such as Ecotune, but it would require removing the DME and shipping it across the pond to them in the UK - not very convenient, esp if when the DME receives a software update at the dealer.

The exhaust noise supression (thanks to the DPF and cat) is so bad in fact that you can cut the exhaust off at the mid cat effectively removing the mufflers and the entire back section of the exhaust and it makes little difference in sound.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 08:24 AM   #19
Gardus
Private
Italy
Rep
Drives: Megane RS 250 Cup

Isn't it possible to replace the ECU software entirely with the EU spec one, possibly already tuned?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 08:27 AM   #20
cssnms
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardus View Post
Isn't it possible to replace the ECU software entirely with the EU spec one, possibly already tuned?
Not likely. Our cars have a different emissions control system to include a different EGR system as well as a Urea injection system. Not to mention the price of a new DME would make it to cost prohibitive.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 08:33 AM   #21
cssnms
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Here is my exhaust....
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 08:36 AM   #22
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardus View Post
The EU DDE for M57 engines is not the same (more powerful since it has to monitor and control more). And AFAIK all their newer N57 engines have DPF & SCR and "our" software.
Appreciate 0