E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Considering Supersprint Exhaust....

01-18-2013, 08:42 AM   #23
fongboy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardus View Post
Hi guys, about getting some nice sound from 6+ cylinder diesels, the DPF is a real obstacle.
I've got some experience both on inline 6 BMW and V6 VAG engines.
The best solution, both for performance and sound, is to remove every silencer or DPF, and leave just a small silencer on the centre or rear section.

In the case of the 335d, the stock system, as you'll know, is composed by:
Downpipe including DPF and Ceramic cat:

The front Y-pipe goes from 70 to 2x55mm each (2x60mm on the 335i, and they include two cats)

The centre section is 2x55 before the silencer, 2x60 after (2x60 all the way on the 335i).

The muffler have 60 mm pipes, and a pressure balance connecting pipe in the middle. These are taken directly from the 335i, and that pipe is there to reduce droning on the petrol engine...no need on the diesel!

This is the view from below the car:

What I would do is fit the Supersprint downpipe, this way you'll remove the DPF and have the main difference in sound.
The only issue is that this way you need to have a ECU reflash to remove the regeneration cycles, and tune the turbo pressure and EGR to get a good power delivery and not too much smoke.

Another issue is that the car will emit COx and NOx, so a solution is to fit a cat on the exhaust line...the cheapest way is to cut the front pipes after the Y-pipe, and fit the OEM 335i front pipes that include two ceramic cats!
These will greatly reduce emission, smell and also add a bit of backpressure which is not bad for turbo spool up. They also remove any metallic sound given by long uninterrupted pipe sections. Find some used ones from people who went decat on their 335i...
You can also use the x-pipe from the 335i, removing the 335d centre silencer.

Once you have those you can fit just the racing mufflers from Supersprint (part. number 046124 + 046144)

You'll end up with a very free flowing exhaust line, sounding real nice, with low emissions and not too expensive!

Obviously you can ask Supersprint for a front Y-pipe with their metallic sport cats (very expensive) and their x-pipe, but you'll spend much more for the same result.
Wow. Great write up man. Thanks alot. But like we all discussed before, it's very difficult for us to remove our downpipe/DPF without the correct tune. Anyways thanks for the suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cssnms View Post
As you can see below, the exhaust found on the US spec 335d (2nd pic) and its' European counterpart are different.

The US spec 335d has a cat (1) to reduce the NOx, which also has a NOx sensor before and aft which triggers the DEF system. We understand what we need to do to get more sound out of our exhaust, but our challenge here in the US is the issue of reprogramming the ECU to accomodate the DPF removal. There are tuning companies such as Ecotune, but it would require removing the DME and shipping it across the pond to them in the UK - not very convenient, esp if when the DME receives a software update at the dealer.

The exhaust noise supression (thanks to the DPF and cat) is so bad in fact that you can cut the exhaust off at the mid cat effectively removing the mufflers and the entire back section of the exhaust and it makes little difference in sound.
Damn, we have so many sensors and what not. I can't imagine what the power gains would be if we have a complete turbo back exhaust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardus View Post
Isn't it possible to replace the ECU software entirely with the EU spec one, possibly already tuned?
If only it were that easy...
      01-18-2013, 08:46 AM   #24
fongboy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by cssnms View Post
Here is my exhaust....
Nice setup. If you dont mind, how much did it cost you? What mufflers did you choose? Thanks
      01-18-2013, 08:49 AM   #25
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 335d

wow so much crap in our cars
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 08:52 AM   #26
crazyinp
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2022 BMW X5e  [0.00]
2023 BMW X5M  [0.00]
Who is the US vendor for Supersprint?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 08:54 AM   #27
cssnms
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by fongboy View Post
Nice setup. If you dont mind, how much did it cost you? What mufflers did you choose? Thanks
A custom cat back tig welded and or mandrel bent stainless steel exhaust will cost you well north of $1000.

The muffers are actually high flow resonators and they are made by Vibrant. If you visit Vibrant's web site you can order all kinds of exhaust fabrication components to include aluminum and stainless steel tubing. You just need to find a shop that can put it all together for you.

Most exhaust shops that have custom capabilities can build you an exhaust for less useing aluminized tubing rather than stainless.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 09:03 AM   #28
cssnms
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

If you are going to do it, increase the diameter of the pipe slightly - it's really uncessary to go HUGE here unless you are going to increase hp substantantially, but then you would also need to increase the mid pipe diameter too since our exhaust goes from a single to double.

The primary benefits as I see them are: 1) Reduced backpressure by increasing pipe diameter and removing some of the exhaust restrictions i.e. crimps and bends 2) allows for hot exhaust gas temps to escape easier which should effectively help to reduce EGT's (although I have not done any logging to prove this, but it has been proven in other diesel applications) 3) weight savings 4) increasing the ponies a little (again I never got around to doing a dyno to substantiate this, but there is plenty of documention out there to support this, even with a dpf/cat back exhaust - search for Diesel Power mag articles).

Last edited by cssnms; 01-18-2013 at 09:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 09:08 AM   #29
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep

Chris be careful what you say here someone from the fest aka Snipe or others might challenge your words jajajajajajajajajajajajaja
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 09:32 AM   #30
cssnms
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puerto Rican 335d View Post
Chris be careful what you say here someone from the fest aka Snipe or others might challenge your words jajajajajajajajajajajajaja
Nah, I've already been around the block with Snipe on this one and even he more or less agrees.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 10:38 AM   #31
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep

WTF!! He agrees how did manage for him to succumb to you like that LOL!!!
BTW on my way to Orlando on Monday to p/u the IC I send you pics ok
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 09:10 AM   #32
Gardus
Private
Italy
Rep
Drives: Megane RS 250 Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyinp View Post
Who is the US vendor for Supersprint?
You can buy directly from the company or choose one of the dealers:

BMP
Campioni Shop
Evolve Automotive
Turner Motorsport

Anyway, if you can't remove any DPF / CAT from the 335d, go with straight pipes, possibly bigger as they'll give you a deeper sound, but don't expect it to sounds like a petrol.

Supersprint can easily make you some pipe-only rear muffler with the same endpipes (dual or quad) as their racing ones.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 12:25 AM   #33
dzlmoose
Lieutenant
Egypt
Rep
Drives: Trek 7.2, 2001 M5

Here comes a stupid question.

So let's say I did do the DPF delete (http://www.jrautoelectronics.ca/2011...moval-service/) would I then be able to use after market downpipes and the supersprint exhaust?

Also wouldn't this then void my warranty because the dealer would be able to tell automatically that I have done some ecu work because of the lack of DPF?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 05:57 AM   #34
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep

dzl moose I dont think the dealer will find out on the reflash, but as far as I am concern TIAGO from another forum did something similar on his 535d same engine we have and man that car sounds WICKED!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 03:29 AM   #35
Gardus
Private
Italy
Rep

I think a BMW dealer will be able to tell both if you have reflashed the car and if you have removed the DPF.

I usually suggest to go that route only when the warranty is expired.
One of the reason to remove the DPF, aside from the sound and the power increase, is that the DPFs tends to break down (BMW are better than VAG and Fiat/Alfa in that area) and they are VERY expensive to replace. Also, it's very hard to sell a car with the DPF removed.
My suggestion is to remove it as soon as the warranty is expired, keep it, and fit it again on the car when you sell it (unless you find a buyer that wants it without it, obviously, but he'll probably want it anyway even if not fitted).
This the reason why I advise to not modify the OEM DPF as some people do.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 04:47 AM   #36
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep

Agree w Gardus
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2013, 04:27 PM   #37
crazyinp
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW X5e  [0.00]
2023 BMW X5M  [0.00]
back on topic. I got email from US supersprint rep and looks like the price he wanted to charge me was more than on the supersprint website that includes ~16% VAT.
Doing more research, supersprint lists the same muffles for 335i and 335d, also confirmed by the US rep. I don't really care about the sound at that point since it is not going to be what we want without removing DPF, however I don't mind to get exhaust with black tips. Is that mean we can bolt on Dinan or any other 335i aftermarket exhaust?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2013, 05:01 PM   #38
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 | X5 xdrive 35i MSport

Garage List
contact Alex@Evolve, i know there has been come price changes and Evolve has been beating ALOT of the other dealer prices on Supersprint stuff
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 01:42 AM   #39
Gardus
Private
Italy
Rep

The BMW US market is now open so you can ask either Evolve, Supersprint-USA (mind the minus in the middle) or Turner Motorsport for a quote.

By the way, we can provide the 335i/d race mufflers with 90mm matt black tailpipes, the list price is +€ 25 each from the list price.
We're going to fit two on a white 335i E92 here in Italy next week.
The tailpipes looks like this, the logo can be SS, the horses or the full horse+supersprint:

http://www.supersprint.com/en/prod-c...100_black.aspx
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 02:15 PM   #40
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

If exhaust goes from single to a double yet the total volume of the doubles is the same or greater than the single are you gaining anything by removing them?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 03:42 PM   #41
frackje
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: AH3

Would 60MM be enough for a full open custom exhaust on the 335D?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 05:22 PM   #42
Paul@Evolve
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Hi Guys,

Looks like we have the perfect combo for you

We have launched a new department specifically dedicated to Supersprint in the USA.

Anything you need to know about the systems just let me know and I'll be happy to answer your questions!

Paul
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 06:53 PM   #43
crazyinp
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW X5e  [0.00]
2023 BMW X5M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersprint-Evolve View Post
Hi Guys,

We have launched a new department specifically dedicated to Supersprint in the USA.

Anything you need to know about the systems just let me know and I'll be happy to answer your questions!

Paul
Paul,

Shoot me PM with your price for Race Muffler version with black tips for 335d of course.

Last edited by crazyinp; 03-07-2013 at 07:37 PM..
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2013, 07:11 PM   #44
FormerRotor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d, M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersprint-Evolve View Post
Hi Guys,

Paul
Will the DPF removal (down pipe) work on the us spec rides?

Thanks!

My Picture Threads (Oldest to Newest): 1 2 3
Join BMW CCA! (Use my link and I get credit )
Appreciate 0