E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Question on shock life time

01-31-2017, 09:28 AM   #1
bimmerup-sonny
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

Question on shock life time

Lately I notice my 335d rides pretty rough and the steering is much harder
than before. Seems like the car is getting lower, could the shocks start shagging now. I was at Justtires to do the wheel alignments and the bottom of the car is touching the ramp, this did not happen before, as I was just there 6K miles ago to do wheel alignment, I bought their 3-year wheel alignment plan, so I have them check every time they do the tire rotations.

I swapped out my 335d non-sport suspension to BMW Performance Suspension at 30K miles, now it has 95K miles. How long should I expect these shock last?
When I pushed down on the car's front and back bumpers, it hardly moves.
'11 335d + BMW Perf Susp + JL600 +Technic Harness + Bavsound Stage One + Injector #3 replaced and other 5 cleaned by diesel shop+Fuel filter and EGR valve replaced
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 09:41 AM   #2
335stoner
BRR tuned
Rep
Drives: 335D black

it might be bushings rather than shocks... it sounds like the shocks are still strong since it does not move.

also shocks do not determine ride height that is what the spring is for. there is lowering springs and shocks for lowered cars not lowering shocks

if the ride is rougher than normal it sounds like road vibrations are transferring into the cab. when the rubber bushings in your control arms and other locations around the car get old they start to sag which will not allow for the bushing to buffer the vibration. also when the bushings start to sag this will give you the lowering effect you speak of..

I would peek around at the suspension bushings
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 09:44 AM   #3
bimmerup-sonny
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335stoner View Post
it might be bushings rather than shocks... it sounds like the shocks are still strong since it does not move.

also shocks do not determine ride height that is what the spring is for. there is lowering springs and shocks for lowered cars not lowering shocks

if the ride is rougher than normal it sounds like road vibrations are transferring into the cab. when the rubber bushings in your control arms and other locations around the car get old they start to sag which will not allow for the bushing to buffer the vibration. also when the bushings start to sag this will give you the lowering effect you speak of..

I would peek around at the suspension bushings
It makes perfect sens, I do notice more road vibrations and noise transferred to the steering. I will talk to my indie garage.

Thanks a bunch
'11 335d + BMW Perf Susp + JL600 +Technic Harness + Bavsound Stage One + Injector #3 replaced and other 5 cleaned by diesel shop+Fuel filter and EGR valve replaced
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 09:52 AM   #4
335stoner
BRR tuned
Rep

also you mentioned you have an alignment plan... if you get it aligned and have no adjustments made it may give you an idea of where you need to start looking.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 10:33 AM   #5
Torqu3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

While we're in here talking suspension, I wanted to piggy-back on this post.

I have the sport package and my car seems to ride really rough. Maybe I'm just used to softer suspension, but I'm not a giant fan of it, since it is my road cruiser.

I also notice an air hissing noise every time I go over a bump. It sounds like a very fast hiss that goes away almost instantly, but is that normal?

I want to lift my car ever so slightly. No more than an inch, just because of where I drive, I'd like a little more clearance. Is there adjustable suspension I can swap in to do this, or would just swapping in the base suspension be my best bet?

Lastly, what exactly does a suspension swap entail. Coilovers/shocks/struts/arms, it is all black magic to me, much like how a transmission doesn't make complete sense to me. Any good kit recommendations?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 10:46 AM   #6
335stoner
BRR tuned
Rep

The "air hiss" should be normal that should be the oil and gas flowing through the shock

as for the swap it could be as easy or hard as you want to do it
wanting to lift it and get a little softer might just be easier to swap in the non sport.. probably going to be easier on the wallet as well.. from what I read the non sport will get you .6 up.. if you want to go higher then you might look into coilover kits... but you might be looking into an odd market.. I think all the coilovers will lower more than stock at max height and lower you more.. I could be wrong on that????

I would not mind doing something to the tune of a swap I want to go a little lower and more firm... I just cant get my wife to see the same as me lol..
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 10:58 AM   #7
Torqu3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The "air hiss" should be normal that should be the oil and gas flowing through the shock

as for the swap it could be as easy or hard as you want to do it
wanting to lift it and get a little softer might just be easier to swap in the non sport.. probably going to be easier on the wallet as well.. from what I read the non sport will get you .6 up.. if you want to go higher then you might look into coilover kits... but you might be looking into an odd market.. I think all the coilovers will lower more than stock at max height and lower you more.. I could be wrong on that????

I would not mind doing something to the tune of a swap I want to go a little lower and more firm... I just cant get my wife to see the same as me lol..
As close as you are to me, a swap could very easily be a possibility. And it sounds like you're pretty knowledgeable on this stuff. Depending on how hard the job is to do, we could just park somewhere and swap suspension bits.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 11:11 AM   #8
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerup-sonny View Post
Lately I notice my 335d rides pretty rough and the steering is much harder than before. Seems like the car is getting lower, could the shocks start shagging now. I was at Justtires to do the wheel alignments and the bottom of the car is touching the ramp, this did not happen before, as I was just there 6K miles ago to do wheel alignment, I bought their 3-year wheel alignment plan, so I have them check every time they do the tire rotations.

I swapped out my 335d non-sport suspension to BMW Performance Suspension at 30K miles, now it has 95K miles. How long should I expect these shock last?
When I pushed down on the car's front and back bumpers, it hardly moves.
Shocks don't sag: springs sag. Shocks on BMWs generally last anywhere from 75K to 125K. BMW springs can sag, but usually the rears not the fronts.

I suspect that the roughness you're encountering is natural, and is due to your summer tires getting harder due to the cold weather (LA has been having colder-than-normal weather, right?)
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 11:15 AM   #9
bimmerup-sonny
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
also you mentioned you have an alignment plan... if you get it aligned and have no adjustments made it may give you an idea of where you need to start looking.
They actually told me they made lots of adjustment, they were surprised
after only 6K miles, but then they just changed it to a newer more automated
system. This time they can choose the Performance Suspension as an option, I am not sure if they have that option last time
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 11:20 AM   #10
bimmerup-sonny
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
Shocks don't sag: springs sag. Shocks on BMWs generally last anywhere from 75K to 125K. BMW springs can sag, but usually the rears not the fronts.

I suspect that the roughness you're encountering is natural, and is due to your summer tires getting harder due to the cold weather (LA has been having colder-than-normal weather, right?)
Yes, been colder then normal, I have Pirelli P7 on mine
There was an earlier post that mentioned road noise/vibration which I feel much more now, so a look into bushing may worth while
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 12:09 PM   #11
supermann125
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqu3 View Post
While we're in here talking suspension, I wanted to piggy-back on this post.

I have the sport package and my car seems to ride really rough. Maybe I'm just used to softer suspension, but I'm not a giant fan of it, since it is my road cruiser.

I also notice an air hissing noise every time I go over a bump. It sounds like a very fast hiss that goes away almost instantly, but is that normal?

I want to lift my car ever so slightly. No more than an inch, just because of where I drive, I'd like a little more clearance. Is there adjustable suspension I can swap in to do this, or would just swapping in the base suspension be my best bet?

Lastly, what exactly does a suspension swap entail. Coilovers/shocks/struts/arms, it is all black magic to me, much like how a transmission doesn't make complete sense to me. Any good kit recommendations?
I've got some base suspension springs for you with 85k miles if you pay the shipping.
Appreciate 1
Torqu3319.00
      01-31-2017, 12:16 PM   #12
Torqu3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermann125 View Post
I've got some base suspension springs for you with 85k miles if you pay the shipping.
I'm a bit strapped for cash right now, but am interested. What's shipping to 77808? Can anyone tell me what would happen if i put on base springs but kept the sport struts?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 09:39 PM   #13
supermann125
Private First Class
Rep

I was just in college station driving at TWS! About $25 UPS. I'm in corpus.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 12:09 AM   #14
Torqu3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermann125 View Post
I was just in college station driving at TWS! About $25 UPS. I'm in corpus.
Did you drag the D up here? I had quite a few friends running out at the drags, and thought they'd give me shit for not bringing mine out to run when there was another one. If you get another buyer, feel free to go ahead and sell, but if you hold on to them a few months, I'll get in touch. I have some other expenses to deal with right now.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 05:39 AM   #15
Persian Whisperjet
Kind of a Big Deal
United_States
Rep

I changed my stock units at around 80K with FSDs. Car handles a bit better but the old shocks were not hosed by any means, surprisingly.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 07:13 AM   #16
rulonger
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d E90 & 2010 328i E91

I just installed the B12 at 91k miles. Car rides much firmer but also more composed over bumps and such.

I had replaced the RF strut about 25k miles ago after a little pothole incident. The other three corners (LF strut and both shocks) were completely shot.

So I have a stock RF strut and the four base suspension springs in a box in the garage if anybody is in need of them.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 07:25 AM   #17
Pierre Louis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 535d

Quote:

I want to lift my car ever so slightly.........
My 2011 sport suspension seems very sensitive to tire pressure. If I run it 2-3 PSI higher than the 35/42 psi recommendation the steering becomes a bit lighter and the suspension softer. Seems like sitting on the sidewall makes the ride harder and the wide tread allows a slight balloon effect. I use Michelin PSS but found the same effect with the original Bridgestone RFT's.

PL
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 07:39 AM   #18
dmanb2b
Banned
Rep
Drives: G07, F97, F30, E90, E46, E30

I went from Bridegstone RFT's to my winter set at 70K miles. While the winters corner like crap, the highway cruise is much more comfortable. Amazing how much difference the tire makes in soaking up road imperfections.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 05:58 PM   #19
335dM
Major
Rep
Drives: 335d m package

Tire pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Louis View Post
Quote:

I want to lift my car ever so slightly.........
My 2011 sport suspension seems very sensitive to tire pressure. If I run it 2-3 PSI higher than the 35/42 psi recommendation the steering becomes a bit lighter and the suspension softer. Seems like sitting on the sidewall makes the ride harder and the wide tread allows a slight balloon effect. I use Michelin PSS but found the same effect with the original Bridgestone RFT's.

PL
You run 35/42 with non-RFT PSS????
225/255?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 07:49 PM   #20
Pierre Louis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 535d

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dM View Post
You run 35/42 with non-RFT PSS????
225/255?
No. 38/45
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2017, 09:49 AM   #21
bimmerup-sonny
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Louis View Post

PL
Bingo... Pierre
Last night I checked my front tire pressure, and sure enough the tire shop that did the wheel alignment under inflated them by 5 psi, they were at 28. I brought it up to 33 and this morning the ride and steering were much better.

Last week, I purposely told them to make sure the tire pressures were correct, and they still messed up.

On a side note, Has anyone looked at their suspension/arm bushings?
I plan to have my indie check when I have the car in for brake pad check, believe it or not I am at 95K miles, and no pad replacement yet, and I bought he car at 27K miles.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2017, 09:55 AM   #22
Torqu3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerup-sonny View Post
Bingo... Pierre
Last night I checked my front tire pressure, and sure enough the tire shop that did the wheel alignment under inflated them by 5 psi, they were at 28. I brought it up to 33 and this morning the ride and steering were much better.

Last week, I purposely told them to make sure the tire pressures were correct, and they still messed up.

On a side note, Has anyone looked at their suspension/arm bushings?
I plan to have my indie check when I have the car in for brake pad check, believe it or not I am at 95K miles, and no pad replacement yet, and I bought he car at 27K miles.
Funny you mention that. I was under my car last Thursday and went and looked at everything. 82k miles and everything appears to be in good shape. I also inflate my tires 3 psi over what's on the door with all of my cars.
Appreciate 0