E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Intake Manifold / Swirl Flaps / Glow Plugs / Glow Plugs Controller DIY

02-26-2017, 05:40 PM   #1
Hockey13
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M-Sport

I just completed the changing of my glow plug and glow plug controller. Wasn't a hard job, but my connector for the controller wouldn't release, costing me hours of time. Here is a brief write up with photos. I have a short video I'll add later as well. if you know the correct torque specs for the plugs, manifold screws, please add.

*** 121,xxx mi. 95% Time I use HPR Diesel

- Intake Manifold Removal / Swirl Flap Access -

1.****** Remove cabin filter housing and nearby plastics.

2.****** Remove strut bars: on the plastics near windshield, there is a circle plug near the middle. Use a flat heat to turn the plug counter-clockwise and remove. Remove the one bolt located there, and the two bolts at the opposite ends of the strut bars.

3.****** The plastic piece that the strut bars pass through to be bolted by the windshield needs to be removed. There are two screws, one on each end, once the screws are removed the plastic pieIce pulls out.

4.****** Remove front and rear engine covers.

5.****** Disconnect the EGR to throttle body, and the plastic connectors (two or three IIRC) that connect to the throttle body.

6.****** Unplug plastic connector at rear of engine, and the connector on driver side near the back of the engine.

7.****** Unbolt all bolts and screws. There are two ?hidden?, one in front by EGR under the two vacuum lines, and another in very back of the engine.

8.****** Unscrew two screws that attach the swirl flap actuator located on the driver side of engine near the rear of the engine.

9.****** Be careful when removing the intake manifold as there are ?backup rings? that will fall out and are hard to find. I lost 3 which cost me ~$15 ea. From the dealership. They are located under the manifold where you remove all of the bolts.

10.** The intake manifold should be easy to lift off and remove at this point.

**** You have access to some vacuum lines that I recommend replacing.

- Glow Plug Removal / Install -

1.****** Glow plugs have caps which are release upon squeezing the caps.

2.****** With the caps removed, I used a torque wrench set to ~20-25 ft. lbs. and a deep socket to remove each plug. I did not use anything to help ?release? the plugs. They came out with no issue.

3.****** I installed each plug using the reverse however, I added anti-seize to the threads of each glow plug, and torqued to ~20 ft. lbs. IIRC.

4.****** Push the glow plug plastic caps back on until a click is made.

- Glow Plug Controller -

1.****** Unbolt the controller as there is a bolt on each side. 2 total

2.****** Remove the ?Y? coolant to block piping. Coolant will spill out!

3.****** Squeeze to release the big rectangle plug. Mine would not slide off so I purchased pliers with 90* turn, this broke one of the tabs that you would squeeze off. I then used a 90* pick to slide from the side opposite of the thumb tabs to life the levers and this allowed me to remove the plug.

4.****** I used the pick for the smaller plug as well.

5.****** This step took me probably more than an hour and the rectangular plug would not release.

6.****** To install the new controller, just plug the proper plugs into the unit and re secure using the bolts.

7.****** Put a towel or paper towels above the controller before you reattach the coolant pipe as it will leak coolant again.

8. Add coolant to make up for what was lost.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Torqu3319.00
      02-26-2017, 08:19 PM   #2
Hockey13
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Controller Removal Tip

Appreciate 2
Torqu3319.00
      02-27-2017, 03:22 PM   #3
charlie fairmont
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: His & hers, GC & X5

Thanks for putting this together. It'll come in handy for me, next weekend.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 06:14 PM   #4
fsd350
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335d

Garage List
Your ports are very clean
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 09:23 AM   #5
lnxguy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey13 View Post
Controller Removal Tip

This looks like a glowplug HOWTO video, nothing to do with the controller. OP you upload the wrong vid?
      02-28-2017, 10:40 AM   #6
Hockey13
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnxguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey13 View Post
Controller Removal Tip

This looks like a glowplug HOWTO video, nothing to do with the controller. OP you upload the wrong vid?
good catch. correct one up now.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 11:45 AM   #7
9mmkungfu
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335d, 535d, 750i, X5 35d

I was wondering the same thing. Glad I wasn't the only one. Haha. And thank you for the pics and info. I'm going to be doing this soon.
Appreciate 0