E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Just bought a rebuilt 335i, looking for mods

09-02-2016, 08:47 AM   #67
BeastMode335i
Maximus Decimus Meridius
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Welcome Jtone, glad to have you in the group man.. If you need any help, I'm in Fort Myers just hit me up.. There's a few of us in the group chat and also on here who've been through just about every N54 nightmare you could imagine.. I do all my own work too, don't really trust many shops around here.. Plus there's really not much you can't do on your own with this motor.. It's tight work space in there, but definitely manageable..
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2016, 01:27 PM   #68
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

Don't waste your money on a chargepipe unless you need to. I ran 18.5 psi for a year and sold the car still holding boost strong on stock DVs. Don't change it unless they leak.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2016, 02:57 PM   #69
Jklad
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyzee125
Don't waste your money on a chargepipe unless you need to. I ran 18.5 psi for a year and sold the car still holding boost strong on stock DVs. Don't change it unless they leak.
Depends on the year of the car. The earlier years had a different charge pipe design that for whatever reason was stronger and less prone to breaking even at higher boost. The 2009 and later cars seem to blow pipes on stock boost.
      09-16-2016, 02:11 PM   #70
musa
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F86, E92, E53, E39.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastMode335i View Post
Welcome Jtone, glad to have you in the group man.. If you need any help, I'm in Fort Myers just hit me up.. There's a few of us in the group chat and also on here who've been through just about every N54 nightmare you could imagine.. I do all my own work too, don't really trust many shops around here.. Plus there's really not much you can't do on your own with this motor.. It's tight work space in there, but definitely manageable..
Hey Beastmode, how's the going? Totally agree with you there....you inspired me to tackle my smoking issue all by myself. Changed the valve cover and had my rb turbos reconditioned- I'm smoke free now. I also changed the oil pan gaskets while at it, did walnut blasting too. Now I'm struggling with one lingering issue that's been there for a long time- limp mode under WOT during which car bucks and hiccups like a lunatic bull. Shut car off and restart and all's fine. No other codes except dsc code. Clear it and car drives great for miles and miles until I do a WOT. Thoughts?

Last edited by musa; 09-16-2016 at 02:16 PM..
Appreciate 1
      09-16-2016, 03:07 PM   #71
BeastMode335i
Maximus Decimus Meridius
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by musa View Post
Hey Beastmode, how's the going? Totally agree with you there....you inspired me to tackle my smoking issue all by myself. Changed the valve cover and had my rb turbos reconditioned- I'm smoke free now. I also changed the oil pan gaskets while at it, did walnut blasting too. Now I'm struggling with one lingering issue that's been there for a long time- limp mode under WOT during which car bucks and hiccups like a lunatic bull. Shut car off and restart and all's fine. No other codes except dsc code. Clear it and car drives great for miles and miles until I do a WOT. Thoughts?
Hey brother, glad to hear u got that smoking issue fixed, what a pain right..!?!?

And it may sound kind of simple, but one thing I'd start with is plugs, coils, and injectors.. Mine did exactly as you described and it was a fried MOSFET chip inside my DME, and also one of my coils was fried.. The MOSFET in the DME was a cheap easy fix at a local TV Repair shop, and the coils I got for the low on ebay.. I'd definitely start with the plugs and coils and see if that fixes it..

Also, what are you using to read codes..??
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2016, 05:43 PM   #72
musa
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F86, E92, E53, E39.

Quote:
Hey brother, glad to hear u got that smoking issue fixed, what a pain right..!?!?

And it may sound kind of simple, but one thing I'd start with is plugs, coils, and injectors.. Mine did exactly as you described and it was a fried MOSFET chip inside my DME, and also one of my coils was fried.. The MOSFET in the DME was a cheap easy fix at a local TV Repair shop, and the coils I got for the low on ebay.. I'd definitely start with the plugs and coils and see if that fixes it..

Also, what are you using to read codes..??
Wow, incidentally I got new plugs and coils at home planning to install this weekend! Can't wait for tomorrow! I know the coils are originals and my car's at 103k miles. I'm using INPA and ISTA/D to read the codes, unfortunately after the car has been shutdown and restarted after the limp mode episode. How did you know the MOSFET was fried? I guess my son in the navy can help in that department- he is an accomplished Electronics Technician there. Did you start a thread for your limp mode saga? I'd like to take a peek at what you did.

Last edited by musa; 09-16-2016 at 05:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2016, 07:24 PM   #73
2007BMW335i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Garage List
I have a 2007 with 125,000 miles on it. If you have E85 available in your area you will have a pretty hot runner pretty quick.

I replaced my spark plugs, Installed a VRSF 5" stepped intercooler, bought the metal charge pipe with the FMIC, Got the 3" catless down pipes from vrsf, dropped in a upgr8 air filter. Bought MHD programmer, monitor and some tunes.

WedgePerformance hooked me up with a custom tune installed via MHD.

It's an E50 tune, 21 psi boost target.

Stock turbos won't go much past 400 whp but with a good tune you will get over 500 ft/lbs of torque. Torque is what moves the vehicle.

Anyway here are some of my runs short shifting at around 5000 rpm. It's enough power that with 265/35-18's AA traction rating all season radials can barely hold the power in 3rd gear. I have boost reduced to 13 in 1st and 17 in 2nd and it still spins the tires.

Some Virtual dyno runs to look at.
Attached Images

149,000+ miles, MHD, VRSF 5" FMIC, Aluminum charge pipe. E50 tune by Wedge Performance. 3" Catless DP's. Secondary Cat Delete. DCI cold side w/silicone Inlets. N20 TMAP, "Stage 2" Walbro 450 LPFP. xHP Stage 3. 1/4 mile 12.079sec @ 118.79mph. (2.03 60')Before xHP flash and rear cat delete.
Appreciate 1
Jtone10.00
      09-19-2016, 07:39 AM   #74
BeastMode335i
Maximus Decimus Meridius
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by musa View Post
Wow, incidentally I got new plugs and coils at home planning to install this weekend! Can't wait for tomorrow! I know the coils are originals and my car's at 103k miles. I'm using INPA and ISTA/D to read the codes, unfortunately after the car has been shutdown and restarted after the limp mode episode. How did you know the MOSFET was fried? I guess my son in the navy can help in that department- he is an accomplished Electronics Technician there. Did you start a thread for your limp mode saga? I'd like to take a peek at what you did.
I actually threw a SES light, limp mode situation, and 30BA code (30BA and 30BB are MOSFET codes), so that's how I knew.. A weak coil will take a MOSFET with it when it dies sometimes, so just giving you a heads up..!

And yes definitely start with the plugs/coils than go from there, hope it works for you!
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2016, 08:11 AM   #75
xyaaeg234g234
happy.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e90 335i

Quote:
If you need any help, I'm in Fort Myers just hit me up.. There's a few of us in the group chat and also on here who've been through just about every N54 nightmare you could imagine..
Just so happens I just got a place in Boca Raton and will be moved in by the 1st.

Maybe I'll hop over the peninsula and say hey sometime!
      09-19-2016, 08:27 AM   #76
BeastMode335i
Maximus Decimus Meridius
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by prodigymix View Post
Just so happens I just got a place in Boca Raton and will be moved in by the 1st.

Maybe I'll hop over the peninsula and say hey sometime!
That's awesome man! I lived in Boca for a little while in Mizner Park before moving back over to Fort Myers, it's a nice area..

And yeah we all get together on occasion, we could def set something up though!
Appreciate 1
      09-19-2016, 09:41 AM   #77
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 335 e93

I'm at both Boca and with beast in ft Myers all the time. Set it up.
Appreciate 1