E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > I-Drive Navigation Retrofit!

11-20-2008, 05:09 AM   #309
Booster4075
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90, 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by song8062 View Post

Thanks for this information, it does help alot. You said you have ordered something via BMW? Do you mean voice enable code (a disk which has all the vin that was built with pro nav?)? but you said your car vin is not in the disk, so how does this enable code (or disk) work for you? or do you mean the part that BMW guy helped you to oder was not the enable code (normal enable code disk), it's something special which can eable vioce control on any car?

I am a computer system engineer, I know some programming and xml, where can you see them? how can I obtain the xml file and even I can modify it how can it be loaded on to CCC?

Sorry about too many questions, I just need to understand how does this voice control enable works.
Its not something I ordered...its a set of files ordered and obtained from BMW electronically for dealer use only. Its an enabling code (really just two computer files...an XML file and a security cert.) There is a DVD that all dealers have that contains all of the "authorized" VIN's for enabling voice control. These are cars that came with Nav and have voice control when built. I originally had voice control, but merely had the "Professional" radio - these enabling codes are not necessary unless you have Navigation. These two files are encoded with your individual VIN and will only enable one (your) car per its VIN. The files are used at the end of a programming session with the dealership programming system (SSS) to re-enable voice control. You cannot load it on the CCC...Progman just enables the voice control (in the TCU) to work after being re-flashed. All of these codes are on a special DVD which only dealers have - it has thousands of files (VIN's) which are factory enabled. This was a new concept since Progman v25, likely to maintain control of the dealers charging people to enable voice control on cars which had the hardware, but didn't have the option "turned on."
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2008, 04:03 PM   #310
song8062
Rep
Drives: e92 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booster4075 View Post
Its not something I ordered...its a set of files ordered and obtained from BMW electronically for dealer use only. Its an enabling code (really just two computer files...an XML file and a security cert.) There is a DVD that all dealers have that contains all of the "authorized" VIN's for enabling voice control. These are cars that came with Nav and have voice control when built. I originally had voice control, but merely had the "Professional" radio - these enabling codes are not necessary unless you have Navigation. These two files are encoded with your individual VIN and will only enable one (your) car per its VIN. The files are used at the end of a programming session with the dealership programming system (SSS) to re-enable voice control. You cannot load it on the CCC...Progman just enables the voice control (in the TCU) to work after being re-flashed. All of these codes are on a special DVD which only dealers have - it has thousands of files (VIN's) which are factory enabled. This was a new concept since Progman v25, likely to maintain control of the dealers charging people to enable voice control on cars which had the hardware, but didn't have the option "turned on."
Thanks for the information again, I can now understand how it works. but the vin of your car was not in the file, so you mean someone in dealer has done something tricky to enable that function for you? so guess is either they somehow encode your vin into the file and load it in at end of the programming session, or they did not even use the enable code (file/disk) at all , and enable it for you by using some other method?

Also I know your car has the microphone before, do you know where does that connect to? from the nav->pro retrofit documentation, it says the microphoe connect to CCC directly, but I want to know if the car had ULF or TCU(like your one) then how does the voice control work if the microphone is not connect to CCC. (I can't see the microphone that connect to CCC in the bluetooth retrofit documentation)

If you can tell me how your Microphone connect in your car that would be great.

Thanks

Last edited by song8062; 11-20-2008 at 10:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2008, 03:49 AM   #311
Booster4075
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by song8062 View Post
Thanks for the information again, I can now understand how it works. but the vin of your car was not in the file, so you mean someone in dealer has done something tricky to enable that function for you? so guess is either they somehow encode your vin into the file and load it in at end of the programming session, or they did not even use the enable code (file/disk) at all , and enable it for you by using some other method?

Also I know your car has the microphone before, do you know where does that connect to? from the nav->pro retrofit documentation, it says the microphoe connect to CCC directly, but I want to know if the car had ULF or TCU(like your one) then how does the voice control work if the microphone is not connect to CCC. (I can't see the microphone that connect to CCC in the bluetooth retrofit documentation)

If you can tell me how your Microphone connect in your car that would be great.

Thanks
BMW actually encodes the VIN into the files. They are VIN specific from BMW. The dealer just uses the files with Progman. Without the files, the programming fails and voice control is not enabled.

I believe that there are two microphones - one for the CCC and one for the TCU, both in the upper console. (My car was already set up with it all working, so I never investigated further)
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2008, 10:40 PM   #312
mcrussell
Rep
Drives: e90 Alpina D3

I have been told that the FSCode uses RSA crypting (public key and private key). Public key you can read in *.dtd file, but private key is known only by BMW FSC-maker, so there is no way to replicate the security certificate that matches the xml file you need to activate the voice recogniton.

I have a copy of the files used if anyone wants to take a look

Regards

Jason
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2008, 08:34 PM   #313
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
Rep
Drives: fast, sometimes slow

Wow, awesome project! I just got a 08 335xi w/o navi, and am looking at possibilities of what I can get into it... I wonder if it would be worth it or not to do the dash swap but put in an aftermarket navi, rather than iDrive (but then again...... the screen size is non-standard, right? So that probably wouldn't work, at least not without additional fabbing).
      12-02-2008, 07:23 PM   #314
song8062
Rep
Drives: e92 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrussell View Post
I have been told that the FSCode uses RSA crypting (public key and private key). Public key you can read in *.dtd file, but private key is known only by BMW FSC-maker, so there is no way to replicate the security certificate that matches the xml file you need to activate the voice recogniton.

I have a copy of the files used if anyone wants to take a look

Regards

Jason
If you have the file, can you send it to me:
song80@xtra.co.nz
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2009, 11:42 AM   #315
bimmer heaven
Rep
Drives: 08 E93 328

i have 2 complete retro fits available.. one is from a 2008 e92 12/07 production 6 button.. the other is a 2007 e90 with the plain front..
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2009, 12:14 PM   #316
baltik
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: porsche 944 turbo

have you confirmed that the 08 parts work in older models - plug and play?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2009, 01:09 PM   #317
Booster4075
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I don't think there is confirmation that they will work 100%. I have "heard" that it should work, but the custom buttons may not be programmable. Can someone confirm this?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2009, 04:11 PM   #318
BMW Mike
Rep
Drives: E90 320

Is it possible to connect all the wire (I drive, ccc, CID) to the loom of the radio. If i read your post, i need
power,
ground,
K-can H,
K-can L
Those are the only wires i need to hook up. Right? I do not want to splice or disconnect to much connectors.

Regards MIke

Last edited by BMW Mike; 03-29-2009 at 06:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2009, 05:28 PM   #319
BMW Mike
Rep

:-)

Last edited by BMW Mike; 03-29-2009 at 01:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2009, 10:18 PM   #320
gqmd
Chemo Doc
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i 6MT

I just spent over an hour reading through all these posts and I have come to one conclusion..."Booster is my new HERO!!!!"
      04-05-2009, 04:28 AM   #321
Booster4075
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Mike View Post
Is it possible to connect all the wire (I drive, ccc, CID) to the loom of the radio. If i read your post, i need
power,
ground,
K-can H,
K-can L
Those are the only wires i need to hook up. Right? I do not want to splice or disconnect to much connectors.

Regards MIke
Yes, you CAN hook them all up to the back of the radio connector. This will work. However, it does not make for a seamless and "correct" OEM installation, and there will be faults stored (since the CID and controller will not be hooked up to the correct locations in the JBE.) But for testing purposes (or just to simplify things), this will work.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2009, 04:31 AM   #322
Booster4075
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gqmd View Post
I just spent over an hour reading through all these posts and I have come to one conclusion..."Booster is my new HERO!!!!"
Thanks GGMD. Although, I'd really love to be someone's hero on the Next-gen i-drive retrofit! Hahaha....
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2009, 12:11 PM   #323
BMW Mike
Rep

Booster4075,

After some nights of thinking and reading the post again and again, i finally make a discision. The best way and the only way is to hook up the wires to the oem connectors. I can " simply" reach the neccessary connectors without replacing the dashboard. So to test everything is working, i just connect the wires and let someone reprogramming the ecu. If everything working fine, then the great replacing will be done.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2009, 04:41 PM   #324
TheUltimateDrivingManiac
Freude am Fahren.
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 xDrive35i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booster4075 View Post
Thanks GGMD. Although, I'd really love to be someone's hero on the Next-gen i-drive retrofit! Hahaha....
Don't try this at home : )

Basically this retrofit is quite easy from electrical point of view - just plug & play new stuff instead of old, some coding, which should be easy for you now but... Voice activation and Navi will not work, because it will require activation code from BMW...

But! You was successful in getting this code for CCC before, may be you will be successful with CIC as well. But your car was not fitted with navi before so it can become a problem. And there's no part number in ETK (hope it will be in future) for this options as it was for voice activation for CCC.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2009, 06:34 PM   #325
Booster4075
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I think the real problem (and most I think will agree), is getting Progman to actually program a CIC in an older car. Autologic guys will probably have much better luck, but that pretty much keeps us from ever getting software updates/any sort of programming or diagnosis through traditional BMW equipment (unless an OEM retrofit software package is released.)
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2009, 01:06 AM   #326
lul77
Lieutenant Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: e92

i just found out the new idrives tell you the weather, stocks, and gas prices! this makes me want a retrofit even more!!! damn bmw

available for photoshoots in NJ/NY area. click links for ::samples:. http://lul77.zenfolio.com/
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2009, 02:12 AM   #327
Booster4075
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lul77 View Post
i just found out the new idrives tell you the weather, stocks, and gas prices! this makes me want a retrofit even more!!! damn bmw
They (we?) are working on it...
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159604
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2009, 05:48 PM   #328
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 | X5 xdrive 35i MSport

Garage List
find this on ebay, for anyone looking to do a navi retrofit, its basically the whole dash and everything else needed to do a full retrofit
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-3...Q5fAccessories
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2009, 06:15 PM   #329
m5sparky
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

thanks booster for making my dash changeout alot easier with you diy. i owe you!!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2009, 04:32 PM   #330
kyd335xi
Private
Rep
Drives: alpine white 335xi coupe

im going to be parting out my totaled 335 e92 soon so if u need the stuff for a navi let me know as i will be taking the navi system out with the dash and hardrive for it
Appreciate 0