E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > USB input?

12-05-2012, 10:08 PM   #1
geyer25
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328 xi

USB input?

How do I play music through USB?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 11:43 PM   #2
snoozee
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 318i

copy your mp3 files to a usb flash drive and plug into the usb port. select usb source from your radio/idrive and you can select the track/folder you want to play the music from
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 07:58 AM   #3
geyer25
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328 xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoozee
copy your mp3 files to a usb flash drive and plug into the usb port. select usb source from your radio/idrive and you can select the track/folder you want to play the music from

Is there anyway to play Pandora from my iPhone through the USB?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 08:03 PM   #4
snoozee
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 318i

Quote:
Originally Posted by geyer25 View Post
Is there anyway to play Pandora from my iPhone through the USB?
depends on whether your car recognises the iPhone as a valid USB device or not. older versions of the BMW software do not recognise the newer iPhones. if you have iDrive, you might be able to update the software to recognise the newer iPhones.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 08:44 PM   #5
BmerMeUp
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cinderella: 2008 E91 328xi

I had a similar problem - I have a pre-LCI 2008 E91 (new to me) and tested a few options:
  • Blackberry in USB mode? Fail.
  • MP3 Player with USB plug? Fail.
  • iPhone with normal USB plug? Fail.
  • Plain-Jane USB stick with iTunes style music folders? SUCCESS!
So I bought an on-sale $15 "nano" sized USB stick with 16GB at Staples, sync'd it with a bunch of music in folders, plugged it into the armrest USB plug, works great. My own prsonal radio station always playing my favourites whenever nothing good is on the air.

NOTE: I have the "BMW Professional" header unit, not sure if that makes a difference.

EDIT: Not sure how stuck you are - but thought I'd add: Once you plug the USB stick in, press the "AUDIO" button to select USB as the input. After 30 seconds or so the first time you plug it in, the "- -" changes to a USB symbol. Select it... it starts playing. All kinds of options after that.

EDIT#2: Forgot to mention our iPhone doesn't work either. You will need the BMW Ycable or a Blutooth hub plugged into the AUX port. Or "update the software" - didn't know you could do that..?
Appreciate 0