E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Shift Sector Single Turbo Vids?

11-15-2012, 01:16 AM   #67
CaptainInsano
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by smi1gj View Post
Thank you for clearing that up

And I'm not a mysterious ghost/banned member. Just another enthusiast who spends lot of time at my local track. It seems we took each other for something we weren't lol. I can apologize.

And I think you can find in all of my posts I've never talked "shit" about the Vishnu or single turbo kit. I simply have been(along with many others) baffled at the "implied" secrecy in all of this.

Water under the bridge

FWIW with all the options for upgraded turbos and me being in the market for them, I just wanted to see some everyday end user results as I'm on the fence between Vargas stage 2, RBs, and the fftec
I know it's a long way, but if you are ever around the south bay shoot me a PM. You can try it for yourself.
      11-15-2012, 01:25 AM   #68
AK 335i
Major
Rep
Drives: black 335i E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainInsano View Post
I know it's a long way, but if you are ever around the south bay shoot me a PM. You can try it for yourself.
every once in a while I fly thru California on my way to work or home. I'll keep that In mind if I see any flights thru the bay. Thanks, that's one hell of an offer!
      11-15-2012, 01:27 AM   #69
cupertinosteve
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

While I can't speak for anyone else, I'll just speak for myself.

I do have a decent 1/4 mile time (actually a little over 150+ slips) with my FBO+meth setup, I haven't gone lately for a few different reason:
#1 - I'm busy ... its 2.5 hrs to get there and I waste a whole evening instead of spending time with the kids, which I really enjoy.
#2 - I'm afraid I'm going to break something and I don't feel like doing that at this point. I will do it in the future, when I pick up another backup car. I sold my other 335 and so I'm just left with one car now - I have to be able to take the kids to school.

I think a lot of people underestimate that the drag race launch is very hard on the car, I don't feel like adding a half-shafts, valve body upgrades, torque converters or an aftermarket 6AT.

On the street with street tires, I have no issue or concerns, the tires will break traction far earlier than anything else breaking. As for my speed-ego, I know i'm faster than most things out there. There is always someone faster and I'm ok with that.

Regarding the 6AT shifting challenges, I'm not proud to say I've done a handful of 4-5 shift runs in a marginally safe manner and did not experience any shifting issues prior to the event. So I thought things would run smoothly.

The 6AT shifting problems only manifested itself at the airstrip event. Even on the drive home, I was able to do a 2-3-4-5 shifts under WOT with no issues. That's not to say we are close the limit on the 6AT. Who knows really.

As far as videos, I gave them to FFTEC ... they will do whatever they want with them. I'm too busy to do anything with them.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 01:32 AM   #70
skinrock
Agent Smith
Rep
Drives: 2016 i8

Garage List
2016 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick335 View Post
1. Nobody got humiliated.
2. Paying 400$ and having 2 full days to SAFELY run and tune your car at 100mph+ is well worth for some people. If u get caught doing 100+ on the street, u'll be out much more than a few hundred dollars.
3. Next time just show up and race
Agreed. And everyone that showed up was as nice as could be. That's what made this event so great, imo. Nice people, fast cars and great weather.

At the end of the day, the single turbo itself held up, and no one had any engine issues. On the street, it's fvcking fast. On a private track, it was still fvcking fast up to 150 mph...something most people never see. And so we got to race them and get logs to bring back home for the next event.

I won't say I'm sorry this isn't living up to the "hype" because I didn't go home upset.
      11-15-2012, 01:51 AM   #71
turb0mik3
Rep
Drives: E90 335i Racecar

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [8.90]
This thread needs more turns.

HG Motorsports | Motiv Motorsport | Sparta Evolution | BBS Motorsports | Sabelt | JRZ |
NASA ST1 SoCal --- 554whp/487wtrq --- 3200lbs <<YouTube Channel w/ Race Videos>>
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 01:59 AM   #72
Dave W.
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 951, 1992 Eagle Talon

Quote:
Originally Posted by turb0mike View Post
This thread needs more turns.
haha, how about this one?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 02:10 AM   #73
Sick335
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i / X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinrock View Post
Agreed. And everyone that showed up was as nice as could be. That's what made this event so great, imo. Nice people, fast cars and great weather.

At the end of the day, the single turbo itself held up, and no one had any engine issues. On the street, it's fvcking fast. On a private track, it was still fvcking fast up to 150 mph...something most people never see. And so we got to race them and get logs to bring back home for the next event.

I won't say I'm sorry this isn't living up to the "hype" because I didn't go home upset.
Exactly. I went there to have loads of (moderatly expensive) fun, not to have a cock measuring contest with the single turbo guys! I had a blast, ran all kinds of cars, and went home very happy. Tired as hell, but happy Both setups, single and twin, are awesome once upgraded. Our cars pull hard as hell. What more can we ask for? Oh yea... for our transmissions to hold the power
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 02:11 AM   #74
Sick335
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i / X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W. View Post

Good one Wedge
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 02:13 AM   #75
Dmacc
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W. View Post

thanks to MGallop
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 09:20 AM   #76
Ænema
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainInsano View Post
Meh let's see...

I lost to longboarder (s/c M3), but he will have a video of that soon so you can judge for yourself. He jumped the line and I had wheelspin on the inside lane, but he was really fast regardless, and I won't make excuses Mad respect for the guy.

I beat another supercharged E9X M3 coupe, sorry I don't remember the guys name, he came up with his friends to the FFTEC crew to ask about the single turbo kit afterwards. If you are out there man, I loved your car.

I lost to the HPF E46 M3 by a mile, the guy admitted to having 900hp. I also had pretty bad wheelspin. I didn't really figure out how to do a clean burnout until near the end of the event.

I won against Tomas@GIACs A4, not really a fair race but to make it fair I got my heaviest friend (450lb) to sit in the passenger seat.

I lost to one of the GTRs, but not by much, again with a passenger and bad wheelspin.

I won against a Shelbygt500 in a pretty clean race.

I won against one of the 6AT single turbo 335i. (sorry I'm really bad with names and met too many people)

I lost to the F10 M5. I had bad wheelspin and thought I might be able to catch the guy, but couldn't quite catch him.

The first run of the first day was against a chick in a slightly modified ZR1, I barely lost to her and the running joke was that if I kicked my passenger out of the car I would have won. From then on we called him "dead weight".

I lost to Shiv earlier on the first day pretty badly, man I just didn't know how to drag race at all.

I lost to Roberts Z06, I'll just post the story I already typed out again here:

Honestly, there were a lot of cars I raced, I tried to go out for every session and I just can't remember them all. My consistency was terrible, but overall it was about 50/50.

For reference I'll also post CupertinoSteve's results (I think he's 6AT?):

Sorry I didn't have a camera. I know it's disappointing for you guys. I just bought a gopro black edition. Steve says he will have some vids soon.

You guys should really try to make it out to the next event. It's one of those things you have to experience in person.
Cool, thanks.
      11-15-2012, 09:36 AM   #77
JStang
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: FDB M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasBoosted View Post
I don't get how all of these people all of a sudden realized they can't shift to 5th... had they never tried a run to that speed before?
I have never sniffed that speed. I am too much of a pu$$y to go that fast on public streets. You have a cop clock you and you and your car are done for a long time.

EDIT: Maybe being a pussy isn't the word. Maybe I'm just wise enough to not do that. I get scared shitless of getting popped doing a 3rd gear pull to 100 mph while logging.

Last edited by JStang; 11-15-2012 at 09:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 09:46 AM   #78
Fully_Bolted
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

LOL, i hit 160 going up the buckman bridge racing an SS the other night. Pick your runs wisely.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 10:05 AM   #79
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '16 MK7 GTI

Your transmission is overheating, which is why its limping to save itself. Maybe get a tranny cooler?
      11-15-2012, 10:35 AM   #80
GetSomeE92
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Space Gray E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTech335coupe View Post
Im in Orlando. Going to Bradenton this weekend. Maybe I'll go down to PBIR soon, so much better than Orlando Speed World. It'd be a good opportunity to possibly sell my old AR DPs to a guy down from that area.

That road that goes to PBIR is perfect for some high speed runs
If you guys go to PBIR, I'd be down to drive up from Miami to meet you all and get some runs in, especially if the weather will be cooler. Even though you all will kill me, considering your single setup and smi1gj's high 11 second run, it would be fun. (My best is a 12.5 at 112.7 during the summer at PBIR running a DCI and a JB4 on old firmware).

As for the road that leads to PBIR (the Bee Line), I wouldn't play around on that one. Since it is so close to the track, the cops like to set up speed traps on it quite often. You're better off waiting until you get to I-95 or the Turnpike.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 10:40 AM   #81
AK 335i
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetSomeE92 View Post
If you guys go to PBIR, I'd be down to drive up from Miami to meet you all and get some runs in, especially if the weather will be cooler. Even though you all will kill me, considering your single setup and smi1gj's high 11 second run, it would be fun. (My best is a 12.5 at 112.7 during the summer at PBIR running a DCI and a JB4 on old firmware).

As for the road that leads to PBIR (the Bee Line), I wouldn't play around on that one. Since it is so close to the track, the cops like to set up speed traps on it quite often. You're better off waiting until you get to I-95 or the Turnpike.
yes I agree... if coming from the north probably ok.. but from our end it's a bad idea lol. I'll hit you up as well when I'm home See this is what it's about getting together and having fun. 12.5 with those mods at 112 is impressive!!! that's right in line with what I was runnin this summer with those mods.. Be Proud!!
      11-15-2012, 12:00 PM   #82
GetSomeE92
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Space Gray E92

Quote:
yes I agree... if coming from the north probably ok.. but from our end it's a bad idea lol. I'll hit you up as well when I'm home See this is what it's about getting together and having fun. 12.5 with those mods at 112 is impressive!!! that's right in line with what I was runnin this summer with those mods.. Be Proud!!
I'm with you, bud. I just like to go fast, and like cars that go fast as well. My last time at PBIR was a track rental in June (first and only time there with the car so far). One of the runs I had was against a 9 second supra (ran a 10.2 @ 141 when I ran him). That was fun! Had other runs against modded, low ten second ZR1's.

Anyway, I felt like the summer heat was killing me. The IAT was showing 160*+ on the top end of the track. I would love to see what the car can do in the cooler weather and with the newer software on an E85 blend. Even still, I was pretty happy with my time, considering the weather and my lack of mods.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 12:05 PM   #83
tmo335tt
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 2008 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainInsano
Quote:
Just about everyone nearing or above 500wtq, including myself, are having some sort of transmission issues on this platform. You just went off on a rant about the economy and not being able to afford to go to a test and tune 1/4 mile. Are you serious? If someone can spring for a single turbo kit they can pay 20 bucks and drive a few hours to make a 1/4 mile pass. I simply do not believe that no one has ran a 1/4 mile pass with the kit. I'll rephrase that, if no one has made a quarter mile pass, it could only be because you told them not to. Like I stated before, if there is a legitimate reason why, just say it. No nonsense excuses about a guy spending 7K plus for the kit but then the troubling economy preventing him from paying 20 bucks or so to see a real world result.
and trust me, I know busy. I spend 28 (24 hour) days a year flying between the oilfield on the arctic ocean in Alaska and my home state of Florida. I could easily afford the "kit" and make time to run tons of quarter mile passes. Until I see real world results I'll hold off on deciding the route to go with upgraded turbos.
Calm your beard Shivs old drag times aren't good enough? They should be a good indicator.

No one is telling anyone not to go to the drag strip. That's just stupid. There's a lot of pressure for the singles to go, precisely because there haven't been many runs. But really, we all have lives. I'd prefer to go road racing on one of the few weekends I can get away, rather than sit at the drag strip.

However, after my body work is finished up I"m planning on heading down to Sacramento Raceway to get a few runs in. I have never drag raced before, but Shift S3ctor has given me an itch, and I"m ready to try it out. Hopefully my gopro black will be in by then.

Believe it or not, there really aren't very many of us around. I'm sure Shiv will go back to the track with his new found power to set a better time soon. Although, somehow, I don't think you really care about the single turbo drag times, and just like to argue on the internet.

See you on the track sometime.
+1
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 12:06 PM   #84
AK 335i
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetSomeE92 View Post
I'm with you, bud. I just like to go fast, and like cars that go fast as well. My last time at PBIR was a track rental in June (first and only time there with the car so far). One of the runs I had was against a 9 second supra (ran a 10.2 @ 141 when I ran him). That was fun! Had other runs against modded, low ten second ZR1's.

Anyway, I felt like the summer heat was killing me. The IAT was showing 160*+ on the top end of the track. I would love to see what the car can do in the cooler weather and with the newer software on an E85 blend. Even still, I was pretty happy with my time, considering the weather and my lack of mods.
the ER fmic was my best mod.. Like you i would see 160-170 IATs by the time i was in 4th at the track. The new FMIC gave me 2-3mph in trap speeds and now IATs sometimes even fall from 120 or so in the staging lane to 110.

If i start around 100F now i end around 110 and no more pesky 4th gear timing drops. I love when i get my ass handed to me at the track, i respect the winner regardless of type of car/tune and i strive to go faster the next track day
      11-15-2012, 12:07 PM   #85
AK 335i
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmo335tt View Post
+1
Dont worry i shaved my beard
      11-15-2012, 12:36 PM   #86
Dmacc
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M

Quote:
Dont worry i shaved my beard
No shave November my friend

thanks to MGallop
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 12:43 PM   #87
AK 335i
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmacc View Post
No shave November my friend
Yes it is the literal beard is filling in for the season
      11-15-2012, 01:35 PM   #88
ChuckD05
NeedsMoarBoost
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i / 06 e90 325xi

Garage List
terrys 135 ran side by side with the e63 amg that seemed to do just as good as the ST cars did or better... honestly i expected the single turbo 6MT cars to shit on some cars and people to shut their mouths but imo there is more of an invitation to be sceptical after this event... like shiv in particular yet i have heard no mention of him running anything like he did the first time, which imo gave the single turbo kit some good press...

i am by no means a nutswinger on either side, just my observation... the e63 even offered to run anyone that wanted a good fill in car for comparison to terrys car, did anyone take him up on that? the tuned e63?