E90Post

TireRack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion > I am Joe and I am a Christian.....WTF!

08-14-2013, 11:53 PM   #353
AndreyT
Captain

Drives: 2011 335i Sedan, Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42 View Post
What no independent thought, just what someone else thinks or says.
Sounds like a canned demagogic smoke screen. And a rather uninspired one at that.

Considering that the primary value of the aforementioned research is that it is based on factual data, I wonder what the above poster means by contraposing the therm "independent" to that approach. Like "independent from facts", perhaps? Delusional? Delirious?

Last edited by AndreyT; 08-15-2013 at 01:28 AM.
AndreyT is offline   United_States
      08-15-2013, 01:52 AM   #354
grimlock
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS

The problem is the definition of 'intelligence'.
Local (minute problem solving) verses global (macro comprehension or 'getting' of life)..
Andrey, so Intelligence+religiousity=1 ? (the two are inversely related)
Then are you overestimating intelligence and underestimating 'religiousity', which could otherwise understood as macro comprehension or wisdom.. ?
      08-15-2013, 11:36 AM   #355
i dunno
Lieutenant

Drives: a pair of legs

Garage List
2008 E92 328i  [0.00]
its hard to comment when we can't access the full meta-analysis. i'd like to see the controls they had in place to take into account environment, socioeconomic factors, etc.
      08-15-2013, 04:18 PM   #356
carve
Major

Drives: 335i

Just because nature has (as far as we can tell) always operated by fixed laws does not mean logic to understand them has always existed.

Quote:
log·ic [ lójjik ]
1.theory of reasoning: the branch of philosophy that deals with the theory of deductive and inductive arguments and aims to distinguish good from bad reasoning
2.system or instance of reasoning: any system of, or an instance of, reasoning and inference
3.sensible argument and thought: sensible rational thought and argument rather than ideas that are influenced by emotion or whim
Logic is a process and idea, and doesn't exist outside of a mind, even if everything were still operating by fixed laws of nature.
      08-16-2013, 02:44 AM   #357
grimlock
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS

^
Logic is how we can perceive/comprehend how the world works/the laws of nature.
It exists, and 'logic' is the tool of our conceptual mind that allows us to make sense of the world - to see the law of nature/that things makes sense, as opposed to being random
      08-19-2013, 12:00 PM   #358
Louchie
D:

Drives: 2 paur 2 aford kar :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by shah269 View Post
Looking at people’s names and locations this forum appears to be filled with very diverse group of people….which I have to say is very refreshing!
Hell there are even two girls here! Who knew!

Anyhow…I grew up in the (SPIT) Islamic (FUCKING) Republic of Iran. I had the great pleasure of being in Iran during the Iran and Iraq war. If you are too young to know what that is look it up. Long story short 1 million people died because some looser spoke to his imaginary friend. As such I have a very bad taste in my mouth when some ignoramus starts talking about the virtues of a theocracy.
Now that said…..I also find it very offensive when people introduce themselves at “Joe Dick and I am a Christian”.
I half feel like saying “I am Shah…self proclaimed ruler of the universe” ….yeah good luck proving me wrong with that one!

Am I the only one offended by this type of introduction or are there others like me?
What do people outside of the US feel about this?
What are your views on Zoroastrianism?

MBA Engineering PC
Louchie is offline   Lebanon