E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Buying a decent watch - Any experts?

03-11-2014, 01:14 PM   #1
Drrncour
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M Sport

Buying a decent watch - Any experts?

Hi,

I'm lucky enough to get a yearly May bonus. I normally spend it (life's to short hey). Last year I bought my bmw with it, this year I want to put most of it in the bank, go on holiday and buy a decent watch.

I'm leaning towards a Tag chrono, as I've always wanted a Tag watch. I'm not an expensive watch person normally. The most expensive watch I have is £100, but want something decent when I go out.

I want to be able to give it to my boy when he's 18 (if I haven't broken it by then) so needs to be a timeless piece ideally (he's only 3) so do we have any watch experts, any tag recommendations or other makes that I should consider? Do they require maintaince ect?

Also any places I should look to buy from? I only know of Ernest jones and goldsmiths.
Cree angel eyes - 19" 313 OEM alloy wheels - 15mm rear spacers - Black performance Grilles - Alloy pedals - Tinted windows - Shadowline trim - M3 rear Spoiler - Tail light mod - LED interior lighting - k&n panel Filter - Performance Diffuser - Carbon Badges alround - Bluetooth - Air intake scoops - Painted Calipers - Custom Stainless Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 01:59 PM   #2
225_AB
Major
Rep
Drives: M235i

Garage List
2014 M235i  [0.00]
2009 BMW 330D  [0.00]
The choice depends on a number of things
1. Your budget
2. Would you consider second hand?
3. What sort of watches do you like, sports?, dress? Chrono?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 02:01 PM   #3
Drrncour
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc_ab View Post
The choice depends on a number of things
1. Your budget
2. Would you consider second hand?
3. What sort of watches do you like, sports?, dress? Chrono?
Like chronograph watches full metal. Would consider 2nd hand if it great condition and budget is about 2k

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 02:05 PM   #4
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

have one of these
https://shop-uk.tagheuer.com/en/chro...12-ba0858.html

Bought from goldsmith and can't fault it.

Not sure if it retains its price or if it works after few year.
      03-11-2014, 02:11 PM   #5
E92Dan
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330d

I've also got an F1 TAG. No real maintenance but it needs a battery every 3 or so years. That costs about £30
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 03:04 PM   #6
Alex.J
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 335i MSport

Totally depends what you class as a decent watch! It's all relevant!

Watch enthusiasts do not class a tag as a decent watch you see!

Chronograph watches tend not to be timeless and date in appearance, a clean, uncluttered simple face watch will age better!

My advice would be an automatic calibre watch!

Tag carrera plain face auto for example, understated, classy and timeless!

Possibly a used omega seamaster planet ocean, but again, plain faced..
      03-11-2014, 03:34 PM   #7
briers
Ben
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla p85d

edited: missed the budget

Last edited by briers; 03-11-2014 at 04:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 03:38 PM   #8
afalton
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: bmw e92 330i m sport

Watchfinder.Co.UK do great watches and 0% for 6 months
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 03:51 PM   #9
Jedimindtrix
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Alpina D3 MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by afalton View Post
Watchfinder.Co.UK do great watches and 0% for 6 months

But don't always supply all the boxes and papers for your watch.

Try blowers jewellers, Dominic at Hackett Watches or try Dee at watches.co.uk.

For your budget, both of these are tempting

Tag heuer autavia

http://www.hackettwatches.com/hw/items/LMMN8KHRZV

Or tag heuer Monza

http://www.hackettwatches.com/hw/items/PART9GNKVK

Alpina D3 sold 2015

Last edited by Jedimindtrix; 03-11-2014 at 03:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 06:39 PM   #10
225_AB
Major
Rep
Drives: M235i

Garage List
2014 M235i  [0.00]
2009 BMW 330D  [0.00]
Tz-uk.com is a decent watch forum with lots of info, sign up and browse the forums.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 06:43 PM   #11
MEGA
Dieseasal
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: LCI E92 335d M-Sport

I have a Tag Carerra Calibre S and love it ...

(Like this one: )

03-11-2014, 07:31 PM   #12
Reece
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e90 lci 330d

Scrap the holiday and money in the bank, a 15 year old rolex/omega in good condition and being the right type will possibly be worth more in 15 years than its worth now.

In watchmakers eyes a tag is a daily watch but there still nice pieces

Cant go wrong with a carrera but for that money you really want to try and get an automatic
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 04:29 AM   #13
Drrncour
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEGA View Post
I have a Tag Carerra Calibre S and love it ...

(Like this one: )

Something like that looks great
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 04:32 AM   #14
Drrncour
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
Scrap the holiday and money in the bank, a 15 year old rolex/omega in good condition and being the right type will possibly be worth more in 15 years than its worth now.

Cant go wrong with a carrera but for that money you really want to try and get an automatic
I couldn't spend that much money on a watch, the misses is having palpitations about spending 2k.

Need to keep the rest of the money to invest in a new house in a few years, and rent mine out.

Would love a Rolex, maybe in 10 years time when I'm a little older. Thanks for the input
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 04:33 AM   #15
Drrncour
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for all the site suggestions so far, going to have a look at them over the weekend.

Might also pop to the Chester oaks when I pop up north to see my sister, as I'm sure they had some nice watch shops there at reduced prices.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 04:50 AM   #16
Reece
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Yeh i treated myself with my tax rebate last year the wife werent to pleased but if i ever get in to money troubles its a bit of back up aswel.

Your best bet is to go and try a few watches on, if you can get an automatic plain'ish face, chances are it will still be in fashion in years to come.

A few years ago it was the bigger the better, now all the thiner plain faces are back in
      03-12-2014, 04:55 AM   #17
Alex.J
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 335i MSport

Quote:

Quote:
Yeh i treated myself with my tax rebate last year the wife werent to pleased but if i ever get in to money troubles its a bit of back up aswel.

Your best bet is to go and try a few watches on, if you can get an automatic plain'ish face, chances are it will still be in fashion in years to come.

A few years ago it was the bigger the better, now all the thiner plain faces are back in
Anyone would think you read my post and just reguritated the information in a different format!
      03-12-2014, 05:36 AM   #18
p1tse
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Need more space

I've been looking but closer to the £1k
I'm looking at Automatics only, as people say for this budget should be automatic and not quartz
Enthusiasts as mentioned above aren't keen on Tag, too commercial and quartz at my budget whilst other players are better Swiss finish
I'm leaning towards Longines Hydroconquest Chronograph, but need to see it in the mental and try on. I think that will be a classic type look

I don't want anything simple face as already have one
      03-12-2014, 07:42 AM   #19
Guvernator
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i SE Cabriolet

As already mentioned by many, Tag isn't seen as a great watchmaker by most watch enthusiasts, often citied as not being that well made and too expensive for what you get. Yes it's a popular brand but more due to marketing and the fact that they seem to have become the go to watch for people who want an expensive watch who don't really know a lot about watches. More style over substance essentially which is fine if you just want to have a nice looking watch to wear. However I doubt it would make for a great heirloom to pass onto your son as it probably won't last that long and they are worth bugger all second hand.

You might want to look at other Swiss makes or even second hand as you could definitely buy something better in terms of build quality and longevity for your £2k.

I know a lot of people are scared off by PH but they do have a decent watch forum with some very knowledgeable chaps (if a little snobbish about watches) so might be worth also asking on there for advice, however be aware they'll probably be a lot more scathing about Tags then I have.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 09:43 AM   #20
chedixon
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 YMB Coupe

Get yourself an automatic Omega

best advice would be to find a model you like and go around your local jewelers playing them off against each other 20% + discount should be easily acheivable/
      03-12-2014, 10:38 AM   #21
Oxygen Thief
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 3.0sd M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedixon
Get yourself an automatic Omega

best advice would be to find a model you like and go around your local jewelers playing them off against each other 20% + discount should be easily acheivable/
^ +1

I bought myself an Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean Automatic a few years back. It's chunky enough to wear day to day and not worry too much about breaking it and it still looks classy enough to wear in a suit.

Phil
      03-12-2014, 12:04 PM   #22
Reece
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex.J
Quote:

Quote:

Anyone would think you read my post and just reguritated the information in a different format!
Sorry i forgot on this forum your not allowed to say what you think, your supposed to magically get in to everyone elses brain and say the right thing not to upset anybody, sorry for just saying to the op from my little bit of experiences with watches.

Sorry again Alex.J