E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Just the tip ;)

07-16-2012, 11:01 AM   #45
///Mandy
N54 <3
Rep
Drives: E90 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara504 View Post
haha I know I know!! Lets do it. Girls everywhere will thank us. Gloves work but my hands get sweaty in them its gross. Makes my whole body hotter. I dunno maybe thats just me.

Where'd you go camping at? I havent been since I was like 16.
I wonder how many other girls out there do work on their cars tho lol

Try using cotton gloves, it allows for your skin to breathe through. It sounds like maybe you are using rubber ones (?)

We went to a campsite about an hour away from us. It's really nice, has an outdoor movie theatre, showers (thank goodness haha) and even washing machines. I def want to go back.

You should go for a weekend! It's alot of fun when you go with a group of friends.

E90 335xi|Nav pkg|Sport pkg|Dakota leather|Brushed aluminum trim|MTech kit
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 11:05 AM   #46
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: A car

Quote:
Originally Posted by omaragha View Post
Hahaha - im sorry but I just had to laugh at this - 50 shades of E90 post !!
Sex sells. I choose my words wisely so I'd get help in this thread.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 11:07 AM   #47
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mandy View Post

Try using cotton gloves, it allows for your skin to breathe through. It sounds like maybe you are using rubber ones (?)

We went to a campsite about an hour away from us. It's really nice, has an outdoor movie theatre, showers (thank goodness haha) and even washing machines. I def want to go back.

You should go for a weekend! It's alot of fun when you go with a group of friends.
Wouldnt cotton absorb though?? The worst part is over. Now its just going to be maintaining it so that should be easy.

I have cotton riding gloves that I use with my horses and you are right, its very breathable. I wear those for hours while lounging and riding.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 11:08 AM   #48
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mandy View Post

Did you camp outside in a tent or in a cabin?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 11:14 AM   #49
///Mandy
N54 <3
Rep
Drives: E90 335xi

Quote:
Wouldnt cotton absorb though?? The worst part is over. Now its just going to be maintaining it so that should be easy.

I have cotton riding gloves that I use with my horses and you are right, its very breathable. I wear those for hours while lounging and riding.
It may, but I think it depends on how thick the gloves are (like don't use those thin ones you'd wear in the winter of course). I have some gardening ones I'm considering using because they're thick but still allows for the skin to breathe.
Rubber just makes your hands sweaty, chalky and disgusting.

Oh we just stayed for the day, being that I've never camped before in my life, I thought to check it out and get a feel. There are cabins we could rent but it's big enough to only sleep in and they are like deep into the forest ::creepy::
We have tents that we're going to be bringing next time.

E90 335xi|Nav pkg|Sport pkg|Dakota leather|Brushed aluminum trim|MTech kit
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 11:40 AM   #50
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep

I have a new level of respect for people who detail cars.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 12:07 PM   #51
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzo23 View Post
^ edited with pics of my nightmare lol
How long did it take you?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 01:45 PM   #52
benzo23
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 14 F30 AW MSport

Quote:
How long did it take you?
Total car took me 6.5 hrs, I washed the tips with the wheel mit to knock the loose stuff, thats what the middle pic is, then used the metal polish and 0000 steel wool and a few microfibers prob 20 min on both tips?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 02:09 PM   #53
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Total car took me 6.5 hrs, I washed the tips with the wheel mit to knock the loose stuff, thats what the middle pic is, then used the metal polish and 0000 steel wool and a few microfibers prob 20 min on both tips?
6.5 hours???
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 02:29 PM   #54
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

Good job!

Now that they are clean, this is the easiest way to maintain them. It takes me about 1 minute a week to keep them looking like new with this......
Attached Images

07-16-2012, 02:35 PM   #55
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrickem View Post
Good job!

Now that they are clean, this is the easiest way to maintain them. It takes me about 1 minute a week to keep them looking like new with this......
How is this different than Mothers polish?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 03:12 PM   #56
benzo23
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
6.5 hours???
Interior, cleaned and conditioned leather, vac, all that...cleaned engine, washed wheels and barrels & exhaust tips, washed car, clayed, washed again, dried, spot sprayed and hand waxed, treated glass lol, in that order. 6.5 Hrs later...im not coming to LA
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 07:16 AM   #57
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

Quote:
How is this different than Mothers polish?
It's easier because it is all in one - wadding infused with cleaner/polish so you just rip off a piece , clean your tips, buff to remove the residue and you're done. I have to say Mother's smells better than this does.
      07-17-2012, 07:44 AM   #58
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrickem View Post
It's easier because it is all in one - wadding infused with cleaner/polish so you just rip off a piece , clean your tips, buff to remove the residue and you're done. I have to say Mother's smells better than this does.
Well I used almost half the jar of Mothers just this past weekend. So when I run out, I'll look into your suggestion. I do remembering seeing it on the shelf when I was at the store.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 10:57 PM   #59
JerryK73
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 LeMans Blue Coupe

You could also try Flitz Metal Polish. It comes in a tube like toothpaste. I prefer that over Mother's. Also if you have chrome after using polish or steel wool spray it with scrubbing bubbles for a brilliant shine.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 08:57 AM   #60
._.
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Interior, cleaned and conditioned leather, vac, all that...cleaned engine, washed wheels and barrels & exhaust tips, washed car, clayed, washed again, dried, spot sprayed and hand waxed, treated glass lol, in that order. 6.5 Hrs later...im not coming to LA
That's quick. I usually leave the conditioner on the seats all day in the sun for maximum penetration. The last/first detail I did was 16 hours over 3 days, that was a two step correction though. Professional detailers have patience I cannot begin to understand.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 09:03 AM   #61
benzo23
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by R 4 5 T 4 M 4 N View Post
That's quick. I usually leave the conditioner on the seats all day in the sun for maximum penetration. The last/first detail I did was 16 hours over 3 days, that was a two step correction though. Professional detailers have patience I cannot begin to understand.
Yea it was just a quick thing i did after work, I could of done more...
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 12:04 PM   #62
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Glad to hear you are taking care of your ride! I commend you for trying some new things and learning more about your car and how to care for it. For reference I'd suggest checking out our detailing guide and our Ask a Pro Blog if you have any questions. Both of those links should provide a wealth of information on most of the common steps for detailing a vehicle.

As for your tips steel wool does work quite well, but I'm not a huge fan. I fear with repeated use it could add enough micro-scratches to create little pits where more road grime will accumulate in time and it could dull the finish. So I'd suggest saving the steel wool for when it's absolutely necessary. For regular cleanings a metal polish like the Chemical Guys Metal Shine Polish and Protection should be perfect. It's a deep cleaning formula and it also leaves a coating of protection behind that helps make future cleanings easier. Another option is to use the CarPro Iron X Iron Remover ( IronX w/cherry scent ), which is quickly becoming one of my favorite products! It's awesome at removing iron deposits and so much more. I use it on the paint most commonly but I've also used it on wheels and exhaust tips with great success.

Here are some exhaust tip cleaning articles if interested:
http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-P...k-detail-tips/
http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-P...tip-detailing/

As always if you have any questions please let me know. If interested in any of these items we offer 10% off to forum members with the code e90post.

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 12:10 PM   #63
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detailed Image View Post
Glad to hear you are taking care of your ride! I commend you for trying some new things and learning more about your car and how to care for it. For reference I'd suggest checking out our detailing guide and our Ask a Pro Blog if you have any questions. Both of those links should provide a wealth of information on most of the common steps for detailing a vehicle.

As for your tips steel wool does work quite well, but I'm not a huge fan. I fear with repeated use it could add enough micro-scratches to create little pits where more road grime will accumulate in time and it could dull the finish. So I'd suggest saving the steel wool for when it's absolutely necessary. For regular cleanings a metal polish like the Chemical Guys Metal Shine Polish and Protection should be perfect. It's a deep cleaning formula and it also leaves a coating of protection behind that helps make future cleanings easier. Another option is to use the CarPro Iron X Iron Remover ( IronX w/cherry scent ), which is quickly becoming one of my favorite products! It's awesome at removing iron deposits and so much more. I use it on the paint most commonly but I've also used it on wheels and exhaust tips with great success.

Here are some exhaust tip cleaning articles if interested:
http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-P...k-detail-tips/
http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-P...tip-detailing/

As always if you have any questions please let me know. If interested in any of these items we offer 10% off to forum members with the code e90post.

Greg @ DI
Thanks so much Greg. Ive heard nothing but wonderful things about Chemical Guys. I have someone concerns regarding my rear bumper and pollen I will PM you about when I can get photos soon.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 12:19 PM   #64
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

I have my tip polished atleast once a week....actually all 4 of them.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 01:04 PM   #65
DUI Elite
///M at Heart
Rep
Drives: 06 SGM E90, 15 BSM E84

No offense, but I'd shoot myself if I spent 6.5 hours cleaning tips. The steel wool took about 20 minutes.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 08:22 AM   #66
divisionbell77
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i XDrive Coupe

Quote:
No flaming me.

Not many girls I know would give up their Saturday morning manicures to be hot, sweaty, get filthy, and break a nail just to polish their tips.

Ive had my car a year this month. I've never really cleaned the exhaust BUT Im going to start keeping up with it every weekend.

I bought "Mothers" polish. I spent a good hour or more on just the tips and I still cannot get them back to day I bought her.

It says there is no need to rub hard. Rubbing the shaft it came off very easily with hardly any effort. However around the edges I cannot get it come off. I scrubbed and scrubbed pretty hard.

Do I just need to keep trying and eventually it will break off or is there another product that will break down the gunk faster?
I use a brillo pad and spray the tips with P21S. Also will put some of Bar Keepers Friend on the brillo pad.

Also, never forget that just the tip leads to promise i'll pull out which leads to shotgun wedding.
Appreciate 0