E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Excessive Exhaust Fumes/Smoke - Worse when idling

12-18-2013, 06:10 AM   #1
JAE91
Rep
Drives: E92 325i

Excessive Exhaust Fumes/Smoke - Worse when idling

Hi All,

I’ve been reading the forum for a while as recently picked up my 2008 325i M-Sport e92

It only has 36k on the clock and has full BMW service history.

Runs smoothly as you’d expect but have noticed that I get an almost constant stream of white smoke/steam coming from the exhaust more noticeable on idle.

As the temperatures have (gradually) been dropping over the last couple of weeks I initially put it down to condensation especially as I was predominantly only doing relatively short journeys, however I have been back in work this week and have been doing 20 miles each way with the engine obviously fully coming up to temperature in that time and I still notice the smoke/steam quite heavily when stopping at traffic lights, when in traffic jams crawling etc.

I checked my oil and coolant levels when I first brought the car home and have monitored in the mean time, both are still at max which makes my situation somewhat more confusing. I did notice a very small amount of white milky substance on the bottom of my oil filler cap when I checked first thing this morning after the car had sat 12 hours overnight.

I have arranged for a trusted independent meccy to plug it in tomorrow to see if diag’s brings anything up but just wanted people’s opinions/suggestions as to what the cause may be? Whether this is completely normal? And whether any have noticed similar symptoms.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
James
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2013, 12:10 PM   #2
CustomColours
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i SE

I may be being really obvious. But during these months of cold moist air you will find that you exhaust will pour out allot of vapour. Could it be that or am I being too simple.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2013, 02:11 PM   #3
ukbeemerboy
Beemer Heaven
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CustomColours View Post
I may be being really obvious. But during these months of cold moist air you will find that you exhaust will pour out allot of vapour. Could it be that or am I being too simple.
As above, sounds quite normal for a petrol straight 6 this time of year. They are pretty bomb proof engines.

2018 BMW M4 Competition
2019 Mini Countryman Cooper S : 2008 Mini Cooper
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2013, 03:13 AM   #4
JAE91
Rep

Thanks for the replies, as mentioned I had put it down to Condensation due to the slightly reducing temperatures however my concern was more that it seems to continue and possibly even become thicker etc when the engine/oil is fully up to temperature? Would you still say that is condensation etc?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2013, 04:02 AM   #5
ukbeemerboy
Beemer Heaven
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAE91 View Post
Thanks for the replies, as mentioned I had put it down to Condensation due to the slightly reducing temperatures however my concern was more that it seems to continue and possibly even become thicker etc when the engine/oil is fully up to temperature? Would you still say that is condensation etc?
Sounds like you do short journeys and the car could do with a good run....

2018 BMW M4 Competition
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2013, 05:41 AM   #6
JAE91
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukbeemerboy View Post
Sounds like you do short journeys and the car could do with a good run....
Was thinking the same thing, what distance would you suggest to clear it out?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2013, 05:48 AM   #7
CustomColours
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i SE

A good 25miles should sort you right out. A bit more would be even nicer. Depends where you fancy going. Lol
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2013, 12:29 PM   #8
ukbeemerboy
Beemer Heaven
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CustomColours View Post
A good 25miles should sort you right out. A bit more would be even nicer. Depends where you fancy going. Lol
As above, a nice run along a dual carriageway or motorway for a few miles to really dry out the exhaust and get everything nice and hot. You'll find your white steamy smoke will be gone then.

2018 BMW M4 Competition
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2013, 04:11 PM   #9
JAE91
Rep

My commute is a 10 mile motorway journey and I'm always up to temp just before if not shortly after getting onto the motorway. Did an extra 10/15 miles on the way home this evening and as I've found previously when I then leave my car idling for a couple of minutes or so the exhaust fumes etc start coming out pretty heavily. I let my car sit for the last 4 hours and just went out to have a nose under the bonnet, still no signs of losing any coolant but under my oil cap there is a reasonable amount of milky white/Brown oil around the cap. Is this normal condensation for this time of year etc?

Last edited by JAE91; 12-19-2013 at 04:17 PM..
Appreciate 0