E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Info request - CCC idrive with iPod and spotify

10-15-2014, 06:32 AM   #1
Rush 335i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

Info request - CCC idrive with iPod and spotify

Before i go out and the buy the £35 apple iPhone 4 - iPhone 5 style adapter, does anyone know if it works with spotify? - i.e. steering wheel controls and info on screen?

I guess if spotify works with the original black y cable, it should work with the adapter, but i don't have an iPhone 4 to test it on!

Any info would be greatly appreciated, if it doesn't work may have to look into bluetooth / combos, as all my music is on spotify..

Cheers in advance!
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2014, 06:45 AM   #2
Waspo
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: E90 330i M Sport, Silver

I am sure i will be corrected by greater minds than me if i am wrong,

But IIRC Only way to get Track, Artist and Album cover is via CIC and Combox.
I have above retrofitted and it is Brilliant
      10-15-2014, 07:17 AM   #3
themanthatcan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waspo View Post
I am sure i will be corrected by greater minds than me if i am wrong,

But IIRC Only way to get Track, Artist and Album cover is via CIC and Combox.
I have above retrofitted and it is Brilliant
That's the way I understand it as well. I think your only option with CCC and Spotify is to output the audio only via the 3.5mm headphone jack.
      10-15-2014, 09:17 AM   #4
A4S
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D M Sport

I have CCC and use the pre-supplied iPhone 4 Y Cable in my E92 with an old iPhone 4s 32Gb. Using it mainly as an iPod, I can see tracks from Albums and Playlists and can use the controls on the steering wheel. What I cannot see is tracks from Spotify, though volume controls work fine. I can also update it from the comfort of my living room as it connects to home wifi when parked outside

Additionally I bought an iPhone 5s Y Cable but as the newer iPhone is no longer Analog Out (Digital Out only on newer models) I cannot see the Albums, Playlists and Tracks for anything. Sound output is fine and steering wheel controls still work but that's it!
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 01:34 PM   #5
Rush 335i
Private First Class
Rep

Ah man! so it seems no way to fully integrate spotify... That sucks

Ive seen another setup, where a US owner has used something like this, which could be an option..

http://www.amazon.com/BrightPlay-Blu.../dp/B00B1K6D5Y

It seems to work with spotify, pandora, and iTunes, but the guy was using a NBT unit... so still not a definite answer... might bite the bullet and try it out!
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 01:59 PM   #6
themanthatcan
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by R335 - b2b View Post
Ah man! so it seems no way to fully integrate spotify... That sucks

Ive seen another setup, where a US owner has used something like this, which could be an option..

http://www.amazon.com/BrightPlay-Blu.../dp/B00B1K6D5Y

It seems to work with spotify, pandora, and iTunes, but the guy was using a NBT unit... so still not a definite answer... might bite the bullet and try it out!
What that device will do is allow you to stream audio via Bluetooth AD2P; I used to use the same thing in my old E46.

You'll need something like the 30 pin BMW Y cable to get it working. The Bluetooth adaptor plugs into the 30pin connector on one end of the Y cable. Then you plug the 3.5mm at the other end of the Y cable into your aux in jack and the USB plug into either the USB under the armrest (if you have one) or into a cigarette lighter USB adaptor. The 3.5mm is for the audio and the USB purely to power the Bluetooth adaptor.
      10-17-2014, 02:19 PM   #7
Rush 335i
Private First Class
Rep

The car has a black iPod cable that goes into the glovebox, part of the iPod integration kit. no usb in arm rest, just an aux port.

So i should be ok? What i really care about is having track names displayed, and steering wheel controls to work...

I can always charge using an adapter in the armrest..
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 02:54 PM   #8
themanthatcan
Lieutenant
Rep

You won't have track names displayed or control through the steering wheel with that Bluetooth adaptor matey. Literally all it does is transmit audio..it has no understanding of the tracks it's playing.

You really won't be able to do what you're after with Spotify without upgrading to CIC and Combox
      10-18-2014, 06:50 PM   #9
Rush 335i
Private First Class
Rep

The Vid on this pic shows it working, but thats an NBT head unit right?

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=885318
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2014, 03:22 AM   #10
themanthatcan
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

My apologies I really should have read the details about the Bluetooth dongle you posted; it looks like someone has actually developed a dongle that essentially fools the BMW iPod integration into thinking there is a physical device connected..nice!

I'd be very tempted with one of these, although currently have an iPod nano permanently plugged into my 30pin connector which holds all my music. The only downside with this is keeping it up to date when I buy new music!

Would be interested to hear the results if you do buy one. My main concern would be audio quality, as most Bluetooth adapters while sounding ok on most car audio systems, can sound crappy on the higher end systems, so it'd be good to know if they've implemented the AAC codec on this device for higher quality streaming.
      10-19-2014, 09:03 AM   #11
Rush 335i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by themanthatcan View Post
My apologies I really should have read the details about the Bluetooth dongle you posted; it looks like someone has actually developed a dongle that essentially fools the BMW iPod integration into thinking there is a physical device connected..nice!

I'd be very tempted with one of these, although currently have an iPod nano permanently plugged into my 30pin connector which holds all my music. The only downside with this is keeping it up to date when I buy new music!

Would be interested to hear the results if you do buy one. My main concern would be audio quality, as most Bluetooth adapters while sounding ok on most car audio systems, can sound crappy on the higher end systems, so it'd be good to know if they've implemented the AAC codec on this device for higher quality streaming.

Yeh, it took me a while to find a solution in all the threads, then once i did it seemed like such an obvious piece of kit!!

I m hoping quality will be good too, but considering how poor the stock set up is anyway, I'm not worried.. it would be hard to make it any worse!

I looked at the specs, but it doesn't say anything about AAC. is there anyway to tell? Will keep the post updated if i get one, and maybe it'll mention AAC in the instructions somewhere?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 07:43 AM   #12
A4S
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Quick update on the Tune2Air device...

After re-reading this thread, (where I then mentioned earlier on, that I bought a iPhone 5s Y Cable and it would not show albums and track listings etc.), I remembered a mate with an Audi had one of these devices - so a quick pit stop on the way home and asked to try it in my motor which has CCC.

All I will say is IT WORKS!!! I wish I had known about one of these devices long before now!

I had this plugged in to the original iPhone 30 Pin Y Cable that came with the car and my iPhone 5s paired to it straight away, showed all my albums and tracks and playlists etc. on my CCC display PLUS it reconnected every time I re-started the car, from where it left off! My mate uses it in his Audi with his Android phone too!

I had tried one of those standard shiny black 30 pin bluetooth dongles months ago and the sound quality is undeniably greater with this device - I have read on other forums that there is an inbuilt DAC of sorts - it really is not that far off (by a few %) from having my iPod Nano plugged in directly to the Y Cable. The Tune2Air does weigh considerably more than a standard dongle too.

I have since ordered one and it should arrive from Amazon today

Hope this helps others!
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 01:14 PM   #13
Rush 335i
Private First Class
Rep

Oh thats so well timed, i was just about to go and buy one of the cheaper ones for £5!

The tune2go sells for £50ish, which is more expensive that the 30-pin to iPhone 5 adapter cable..... so not sure what to choose here... one can charge and is cheaper, the other is wireless but more expensive... hmmmmm

Cheers for the info and testing anyway, let us know how it goes with when your unit turns up!
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2014, 04:52 AM   #14
A4S
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Oh thats so well timed, i was just about to go and buy one of the cheaper ones for £5!

The tune2go sells for £50ish, which is more expensive that the 30-pin to iPhone 5 adapter cable..... so not sure what to choose here... one can charge and is cheaper, the other is wireless but more expensive... hmmmmm

Cheers for the info and testing anyway, let us know how it goes with when your unit turns up!
Unit turned up yesterday and it works fab! Music starts immediately, when I start the car, even with my phone in my pocket, showing all the albums and tracks on the screen etc.

As I said earlier, I bought the iPhone 5 Y Cable and now it is a waste of time as you can play music but get nothing on the screen (only shows "Aux") and not all steering wheel functions work!

I wish I had known about this device last year, rather than spending out trying lots of other things to get my iPhone 5s to play music, while retaining all the on screen functionality!
Appreciate 0