E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Owners reviews/genuine experience

09-10-2014, 05:00 AM   #1
JJ0063
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90

Owners reviews/genuine experience

Coilovers, talk to me.

I've had coilovers on my past probably 4 or 5 cars, and loved the firmness until I fitted them to my 2004 Vectra CDTI.

(Jesus, I miss this car!)

It made the ride bloody awful, it shot a top mount through the bonnet within a couple of weeks, I ended up on -45mm springs which sat roughly the same, somehow!

Apart from that my experience has been good with them, had a couple of sets on a previous 306 I had..

I'm only going to be spending a couple of hundred on a set, something like these

I'm looking to see if anyone has these (Or similar) fitted, and to know what you think of them?

My concern is that I do 20k+ a year, so they need to be relatively comfortable (Which from the previous cars had been fine until the Vectra)

Any thoughts are very much appreciated.

Cheers
Jordan
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 06:17 AM   #2
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
Worth checking out the Suspension, Brakes and Chassis section of the forum:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38

Lots of opinions on suspension set-ups there, though many are from the US. In my (limited) experience with coilovers, if good ride quality is important to you, you get what you l pay for (and cheapo stuff off eBay probably won't do it for you)...
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 06:37 AM   #3
M5rius
Banned
Lithuania
Rep
Drives: e92

Garage List
2007 bmw e92  [9.00]
If you going to slam it than anything than coilovers the way forward, but if you only after 20-30mm get set of springs.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 07:07 AM   #4
dest
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: LCI E91 320d M Sport

If you're going to buy a set of coil overs that cost the same price as a decent set of springs, what else do you expect apart from a shit ride and shit quality?
I had Eibach Pro Street S coil overs on my Audi S4 and at just under grand they were good at best, but could of been a lot better.

Buying cheap coil overs made from recycled Chinese coke cans is always going to end in disappointment one way or another, be it a crap ride, they break or seize up.

If you're only looking to spend a couple of hundred quid you'd be MUCH better off buying H&R or Eibach springs.
I wouldn't touch £169 brand new coil overs with a very very very long bargepole....
Appreciate 1
      09-10-2014, 07:35 AM   #5
Nobber
Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: 'That' 335i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by dest View Post
If you're going to buy a set of coil overs that cost the same price as a decent set of springs, what else do you expect apart from a shit ride and shit quality?
I had Eibach Pro Street S coil overs on my Audi S4 and at just under grand they were good at best, but could of been a lot better.

Buying cheap coil overs made from recycled Chinese coke cans is always going to end in disappointment one way or another, be it a crap ride, they break or seize up.

If you're only looking to spend a couple of hundred quid you'd be MUCH better off buying H&R or Eibach springs.
I wouldn't touch £169 brand new coil overs with a very very very long bargepole....
+1. dest speaks the truth. Eibach Pro springs on M-Sport suspension IMO for sub £200 gives you the best height/ride.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 07:36 AM   #6
Josh1a1h
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AzuriteBlack 335i E92

Save you money and invest in something decent. It will save you hassle in the long run.

YOu need to spend at least £650-1000 on a decent enough set of coilovers.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 09:40 AM   #7
Pacman83
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92

Been there many times before with several different cars. I'm absolutely amazed the way the e92 M Sport handles with bog standard suspension. I will not be touching it at all. Amazing ride and handling. I had never previously had a rear wheel drive car in 25 years of driving and was always a little skeptical about why BMWs are all rear wheel drive. Now I know, although last week when applying the power MID corner (sharp & off camber) the car told me exactly what it thought of me ..... GULP.... Lesson learnt after 2 corrections at 40mph on wet road

Last edited by Pacman83; 09-10-2014 at 09:43 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 04:55 PM   #8
Digitalize
Photographer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D

The M Sport suspension as standard is awful, twitchy and uncompliant over bumps. Lacks any kind of confidence inspiring feel and fails to keep a good contact patch with the road. It's not designed for our roads at all.

Get a decent set of springs if you can only spend a few hundred and want a decent ride.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 04:48 AM   #9
Edinnit
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i Hunting

£600ish buys you a full BC settup doesnt it?
If so id defiantly go for that.....