E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > installed my swoop scoops !!!!!!

Closed Thread

08-12-2008, 02:27 PM   #23
darkphantom
Banned
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPIpower View Post
Thanks for posting. Now, our lawyer can contact d1sswoop
?? If he's fabricated this himself...there is no need for litigation...
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2008, 02:30 PM   #24
iwugolf
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 328i 6MT

Quote:
You guys came up with a 180$ scoop of metal, of course someone is going to make a replica and not mark it up 170 dollars over cost. I love this sue happy world
      08-12-2008, 02:59 PM   #25
N54YO
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW E92 335/2005 Scion tC

Quote:
If you get a chance to see his scoops the designs are completely different than the one RPI produces.

Plus, it's nice that somebody in the community want to help the rest of us out. We drive BMWs don't mean that we should pay a ridiculous amount of money for a piece of metal.

2008 BMW E92 335i
Sparkling Graphite/Coral Red/Grey Poplar
Sport/Navi/Premium/Comfort/iPod/6-Speed Manual
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2008, 03:12 PM   #26
polok with a 328
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: black on black 328i

Garage List
2007 328I  [0.00]
Quote:
Black on black 328i..Flat black with red lip 18x8.5 & 18x9 Rota SVN's..Muffler and resonator delete..Injen intake..Black kidney grilles..black headlight overlays..black roundels..20% tint..Nokya yellow fogs
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2008, 03:21 PM   #27
Rewted
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
That's the spirit! Showing your true colors makes us want to purchase from you.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2008, 03:47 PM   #28
alex2112
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1 M-Sport

Quote:
These kinds of posts makes people not want to buy from you. Including me.

If I remember correctly, you even threatened legal action against a member of this forum who posted a self-made DIY on how to make basic scoops out of a small piece of sheet metal.

Now you threaten the maker of these scoops as well? Have you done so to the guy who posted a DIY to make scoops out of a plastic heater vent sheild too? What about Gruppe-M in Japan? Are they infringing on you as well since they include carbon fiber scoops with their intake?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2008, 04:01 PM   #29
N54YO
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex2112 View Post
These kinds of posts makes people not want to buy from you. Including me.

If I remember correctly, you even threatened legal action against a member of this forum who posted a self-made DIY on how to make basic scoops out of a small piece of sheet metal.

Now you threaten the maker of these scoops as well? Have you done so to the guy who posted a DIY to make scoops out of a plastic heater vent sheild too? What about Gruppe-M in Japan? Are they infringing on you as well since they include carbon fiber scoops with their intake?
Seriously, RPI you guys make some good products however this cannot possibly put out a good image for you w/ the customers on this forum. Sometimes it's good just to let things go.

2008 BMW E92 335i
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2008, 04:31 PM   #30
RPIpower
Captain
Rep
Drives: F97 X3M, G80 M3

Let me explain myself. I work VERY hard to make a living to support myself, my employees and family. Its tough when we spend a lot of time and money to develope something that works for you guys and then to have them ripped off and sold. Now, I understand for many of you, $200 is a LOT of money. I have had the chance to get to know many of you from meets, drives, etc. and many of you have become our friends. Those who have, know what we do and how we come out with products. I do this for a living so, I need to protect our ideas and products. We have a lot of great ideas and have discourage different ways to make gobs of power in the E90. Many of those things are simple but we have not released anything for fear of something just like this. Maybe some of you are self employed and understand what we are going through.

So, lets do this. I challenge some of you to come up with an idea to improve something. Spend a few months of your life working on it. Make it, then let someone copy and take your idea. How would you feel?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2008, 04:43 PM   #31
E92_335
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54YO View Post
If you get a chance to see his scoops the designs are completely different than the one RPI produces.

Plus, it's nice that somebody in the community want to help the rest of us out. We drive BMWs don't mean that we should pay a ridiculous amount of money for a piece of metal.
+1 RPIpower you guys are very unprofessional. That's f*cking ridiculous get a life and stop overcharging for a scrap of metal from the junkyard with an "innovative design that no one else has" as you guys "claim."
      08-12-2008, 04:45 PM   #32
E92_335
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 330i

Quote:
Let me explain myself. I work VERY hard to make a living to support myself, my employees and family. Its tough when we spend a lot of time and money to develope something that works for you guys and then to have them ripped off and sold. Now, I understand for many of you, $200 is a LOT of money. I have had the chance to get to know many of you from meets, drives, etc. and many of you have become our friends. Those who have, know what we do and how we come out with products. I do this for a living so, I need to protect our ideas and products. We have a lot of great ideas and have discourage different ways to make gobs of power in the E90. Many of those things are simple but we have not released anything for fear of something just like this. Maybe some of you are self employed and understand what we are going through.

So, lets do this. I challenge some of you to come up with an idea to improve something. Spend a few months of your life working on it. Make it, then let someone copy and take your idea. How would you feel?
Bro they have different designs than you guys! You need to chill out
      08-12-2008, 05:03 PM   #33
N54YO
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I understand where you are coming from. However It is inevitable for people to come up w/ a better or different solution to the same product. It is just evolution. Take a look at the hi-tech industry and you see what I mean. I really doubt pressing charge and putting your attorney to work is going to benefit you in any positive way.

2008 BMW E92 335i
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2008, 05:16 PM   #34
funkdoc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Space Gray/Coral Red

I can dig what you guys are trying to say only if the "perpetrator" in your eyes broke into your labs and stole the blueprints for the design mission impossible style and replicated it to the very tee. However, the enthusiast does not even have any reputation or vendor status like you, a website, or other marketing avenues which you as a business must incorporate to succeed. Do you solely rely on these forums to pimp your products? I doubt it. We are consumers and we have the ability to choose whats best for our needs. Don't you wish you could take back those fighting words now?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2008, 05:29 PM   #35
alex2112
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1 M-Sport

Quote:

I would understand what you are saying if these scoops in this thread were a COMPLETE rip-off of your own. Meaning, if they looked exactly like yours, all angles and material, just without the RPI logos. However, they are not rip-off's of your scoops. Yes they are scoops that direct air from the kidneys into the intake duct, but you can't claim that someone copied and took your idea for creating simple metal scoops. These look nothing like yours, and I am willing to bet that they are made completely differently. They are a unique design.

What you are saying is on the same basis as if Company 1 created a cold air intake for our cars, and Company 2 also created one but was of a completely different design with a different look, filter, etc. and Company 1 threatening legal action against them for "taking their idea." Its called competition.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2008, 06:16 PM   #36
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 AWD M3 Comp - SMB

LOL @ RPI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you are wasting your money if you attempt to sue i can't wait to see where this goes
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2008, 06:18 PM   #37
OverSpun
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW/CR E92 335i 6mt

good write up and review!
      08-12-2008, 07:31 PM   #38
Andrew@ET
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Red thing

sue AsR as well they made scoops too
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2008, 08:03 PM   #39
UdubBadger
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '04 330i ZHP

Garage List
2004 BMW 330i ZHP  [9.50]
2011 135i  [7.46]
2008 328xi  [8.76]
ehhh i dunno. I mean, the RPi scoops are nicer IMO... these look pretty shitty from what I've seen. and I understand where RPi is coming from.

1. He actually has a company, not sure who the hell this Swoop guy is but he's not a vendor to my knowledge, which means if swoop boy is selling um on here... he probably shouldn't be. If its just a dude who made some for a few local friends, i guess you can't do anything bout that.

2. RPi has another vaild point in the fact that he's spent a decent amount of time and money developing and testing (dyno runs aren't cheap) and put out all the info about these kinds of products on his dime... which is IMO why people want these. Then after he introduces them into the forum with the proof that these little pieces of metal actually do something and the dyno sheets to prove it, somebody says well he did the hard work so I'll just make them too cuz people want them, i don't think thats cool.

Is $200 a little steep? maybe since they are made a little easier than some products, however, its his company, his product, he should be paid for his hard work and also, he/supremepower are legit vendors so if its through this forum, he should be the only one selling them.

I'll just be honest and say its pretty bunk that people who can afford to drive, insure and put gas into a premium automobile (one that at the bottom end still runs about $33k new all the way past $50k) bitch about $200 bucks. If you don't like the price, don't buy um, but its a pretty dick move to start making your own and then on top of that advertise them (or have others do it for you) for others to see and compare to the RPi ones.

Get a tax number, pay someone for a logo, make a website then spend some money on dynoing these things... then become a legit vendor on here and maybe I'll feel differently but for now... my $199 just went to RPi since he's the only one who's earned it.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2008, 08:18 PM   #40
simp0man
Not looking 2 SPEED, just looking GOOD
Cambodia
Rep
Drives: 07 328i

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
I found out about the DIY before I saw RPI. In fact, I kinda figure it out myself thinking a scoop would be nice and a coule of days later when I was wondering the DIY and found the solution. It costs me 2.50 cents and about 3 dollars on glue.
      08-12-2008, 08:21 PM   #41
Andrew@ET
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Red thing

ok so no one can post a review on a product ? i never told any one ask me where i got them..
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2008, 08:53 PM   #42
Kiss335i
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i E92

Well! I don't think it's a good idea to install the scoops! Driving with that will affect the cooling system because of receiving less air to reduce the temp of the engine!

K.I.S.S ...Keep it simple stupid
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2008, 09:08 PM   #43
simp0man
Not looking 2 SPEED, just looking GOOD
Cambodia
Rep
Drives: 07 328i

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
I have it on for about a month now and it has not altered the cooling system.
      08-12-2008, 09:09 PM   #44
UdubBadger
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '04 330i ZHP

Garage List
2004 BMW 330i ZHP  [9.50]
2011 135i  [7.46]
2008 328xi  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamibusta69 View Post
ok so no one can post a review on a product ? i never told any one ask me where i got them..
no i didn't say that.

however a review is usually more of a plug for a product than anything, not that there is anything wrong with that but in this case since its not a legit product sold on here through a vendor its bound to stir up trouble... which it obviously has already.

i just think its so funny how people spend $40k on a car and complain the parts to bump up the performance are too expensive.

how much did everyone spend on their Cold Air/Short Ram intakes? probably $300 (most people probably above $499 is my guess) right? unless you got it used these things are pretty $$$ and put out minimal power. I'm pretty sure the average gain on most was less than 5hp... unless you got the new injen short ram.

RPi's scoops have been dynoed at +10hp and is less $ than ANY intake on the market right now. I just don't see why you'd go for the cheap home depot scrap part look on a product that at $199 is still worth the price because of the gains it makes.

maybe i'll go grab some cardboard and make my own Gruppe-M intake.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread