E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > canadian shop for bimmer in states

03-03-2008, 03:13 PM   #1
kson929
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 328

canadian shop for bimmer in states

I was just wondering how come there are so many people going to the states
and get a bimmer to drive in canada, and let say if its cheaper on the msrp, but the what about the canada tax when they drive the car into city? and how can they do that?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2008, 03:58 PM   #2
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

It's like 20 grand cheaper these days when you buy it in the US - there are no duties, so you can just drive it home and pay the tax at the border - same tax you would pay if you bought locally, but you just paid 20 grand less for the car. It is pretty easy to do and is why so many people are doing it - BMW has been trying to stop it, dealers in Canada are giving people with US cars grief on service - they cannot refuse you, but can make you wait longer, provide no loaners etc. I don't think the maintenance has to be covered either, but the 4 oil changes a a pair of brake pads they do in 4 years doesn't add up to that much. They are trying to tell US dealers not to sell out of the country, but most ignore them and since you need to have it paid for to import it, the dealer just does the deal takes your money and gives you the car - you could make up an address for all they will know!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2008, 04:24 PM   #3
YYC Bimmer Driver
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 & 2018 X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkillrob View Post
It's like 20 grand cheaper these days when you buy it in the US - there are no duties, so you can just drive it home and pay the tax at the border - same tax you would pay if you bought locally, but you just paid 20 grand less for the car. It is pretty easy to do and is why so many people are doing it - BMW has been trying to stop it, dealers in Canada are giving people with US cars grief on service - they cannot refuse you, but can make you wait longer, provide no loaners etc. I don't think the maintenance has to be covered either, but the 4 oil changes a a pair of brake pads they do in 4 years doesn't add up to that much. They are trying to tell US dealers not to sell out of the country, but most ignore them and since you need to have it paid for to import it, the dealer just does the deal takes your money and gives you the car - you could make up an address for all they will know!
Not quite correct, aside from the modifications the dealer determines you require to comply with RIV, you also need to pay 6.1% import duty on BMW's that were imported into the USA (everything except the X5, and Z4's at present).
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2008, 05:13 PM   #4
Jaws
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by kson929 View Post
I was just wondering how come there are so many people going to the states
and get a bimmer to drive in canada, and let say if its cheaper on the msrp, but the what about the canada tax when they drive the car into city? and how can they do that?
:r epost::rep ost::repos t:
Appreciate 0