Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Do tires go bad?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

04-24-2007, 04:31 PM   #1
bartman32
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

Garage List
2017 M2  [0.00]
Do tires go bad?

Obviously I am a noob with this tire thing...
I had a second set of rims/tires (Toyo's) for my e46 sedan for driving schools but found out that the offset won't work for my e92 so I'm getting a set of rims that came off a non-sport e90 sedan.

The problem is that the old rims/tires have been sitting in the garage and used once in the last 2 years. I was thinking about taking the Toyo's off the e46 wheels and putting them on the new rims as track tires so I'm not running run-flats on the track but I am wondering do tires go bad? Did my Toyo's go bad sitting in my nice cool garage for the past 2 years?

Thanks for the help!
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2007, 06:40 PM   #2
cgnahc
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: TiAg E90 ZSP

Tires do degrade but not significantly within a controlled environment, especially in 2 years. However, depending on what orientation and condition they are stored may affect the integrity of the tire. Ideally you want store them flat on it's side, but not 4 high either. Add some pressure to the tire, not zero psi. What you are doing is to maintain the shape of the tire as best you can. Extreme hot and cold cycles may cause degredation, but again, not in 2 years. Now, hold on!! changing them out for track use is a risk I probably am not willing to take. I'd test them out in normal driving conditions first. Take some high speed turns, hard brake, highway speeds and see how they react.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2007, 08:42 PM   #3
bartman32
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

Garage List
2017 M2  [0.00]
Thanks for the info Cgnahc. They are Toyo T1S's so I would change them out probably a week or so before the event and drive on them on the street to "break them in". They were stored in a pretty cool place with air in them so that should be good. However they were stacked 4 high. From your reaction it doesn't seem like you are too worried though. Thanks for the insight!
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2007, 09:05 PM   #4
cgnahc
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: TiAg E90 ZSP

OK, sounds good. Warm up the tires too before the high speed on the track. Test the tire against the track conditions first. A short 3 min routine to test brakes, grip, handling. GL.
Appreciate 0