Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Wheel Hub-to-Fender Distances?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

04-06-2007, 02:38 AM   #1
Thor
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan (on order)

Wheel Hub-to-Fender Distances?

I have been trying to figure out the best offsets for certain wheels and tires for days now. I am trying to compare what others have and work off of that. The goal is a flush look that won't rub without having to roll the fenders any more than the come rolled from the factory.

I think I am going about it all wrong. The most telling number would be the distance from the wheel-touching edge of the wheel hub to the inner edge of the (factory-only rolled) fender. When I say distance, I am obviously talking about the hub-plane to the fender-edge plane (x-axis only) and not a diagonal distance (as this is totally useless)

Does anyone have these distances for both the front and the rear of an e90?

I would measure it myself, but my car won't arrive for a few more weeks and I want to order / get the wheels and tires before the car arrives.

Thanks,
Thor
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2007, 10:40 AM   #2
Fokusracing
Private
Rep
Drives: Alpine '17 M2

3.63 Inches on the front, and 4.28 Inches on the back, measured straight down from the fender edge (outside). (2006 330 measured). You can probably work with that front number, but the back number may need to be moved in a 1/4 inch to account for the lip.
Ultimately, number crunching cannot take the place of actually test fitting wheels, and there has been plenty of that done here. My recommendation would be:
8.5 wide up front with a 30et
9.5 wide out back with a 30et.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2007, 10:51 AM   #3
ksfrogman
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i 6MT

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
You also need to factor in the type of lowering you are considering (if any), the diameter and desired width of your aftermarket wheel. Some of the more aggressive offsets (e.g., 19x10 et 25 or 26) work for the rear because the negative camber is increased (absolute value sense) when the car squats.
      04-06-2007, 12:17 PM   #4
Thor
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan (on order)

Thanks guys.

Another potentially dumb question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fokusracing View Post
8.5 wide up front with a 30et
9.5 wide out back with a 30et.
I always see people stating something like the quote above, but no one ever mentions tire size.

Let's say you pick a wheel (19x10) and offset that is just short of rubbing on the back. The tire on the wheel is a 275. If you go 295, I would think you would now rub as you just added 20mm in total so 10 more mm extending over the wheel in each direction.

Is this right?

Also, anybody got the interior distance from wheel hub to suspension?

I don't see interior rubbing talked about much but I am considering a 8.5 wheel (et40) up front at the moment with a 255 tire. I don't think it will rub as there is at least one forumite who has a 19x9 (et38) in the front. Even though it is only a 225 tire, it can't be flush with his rim so the wheel is probably more the guide post.

Am I off my rocker?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2007, 10:45 PM   #5
fibercus
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Can someone chime in with regards to the pros and cons for these two setups. In this example Im talking same wheel & tire brand / type.

19x10 et 26 w/ 265 Tire
19x9.5 et 18 w/ 265 Tire

Do Both have the same fit / flushness?

The 9.5 / 265 Wheel would require more modification to fit. (con)
Lighter wheel? (if comparing same brand & type of wheels)

10 inch w/ 265 would need less mod, but will it appear as flush? It would possibly allow a more aggressive drop. Would a drawback be having the same rubber on the road, but heavier wheel?

Etc.

I've come to the conclusion that my setup would allow me a 275 tire on the 10inch wheel since I had to cut to squeeze my 9.5 ET18 265. And its very very close.

My current setup - 19x 9.5 ET 18, Same exact Tire as Ksfrogman, w/ cut instead of rolling, and its a tight squeeze

With the cutting I did, I feel I would be able to then fit a 275 on a 19x10 wheel (not that I want to) but it would explain the tight fit.

Talk about being off your rocker haha
Appreciate 0