E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > DR-JEKL's 335i Intro & Build Thread

07-19-2015, 04:07 AM   #551
iliketurtl3s
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Looks dope af Dr.j
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2015, 04:59 AM   #552
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtl3s View Post
Looks dope af Dr.j
Cheers dude!

One of those things that look a lot better in person than in the pics!

On another note I had an issue with my satnav CIC i drive today...

Rarely use the POS, but it was about 200kays out!

I was in Wahroongha and it was telling me I was out near Wollombi!?! (hunter valley - vineyards way)

Tried ejecting the disc and reinitilizing idrive, but still out by around 200 kays (I was 5 mins from my destination @ Lindfield and it told me I had 2 hrs to go )

If I dont sort this out soon, these types of issues tend to snowball, and before I know it I'll be ripping that CCC POS out and having a CIC system in (my cd stacker played up in my last car, and I ended up with a $15k sound system by FHRX)

*I realised shortly after typing this, I had removed the sharkfin antenna prior to the roofwrap to save time - thus forgetting this would impact on the satnav GPS position...*

Last edited by DR-JEKL; 08-03-2015 at 06:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2015, 05:04 AM   #553
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Woooahh that looks awesome DrJ... beautiful finish.... glass smooth...
Sat Nav problem might have to do with the reflective qualities of the the new wrap lol
more pics please when you get a chance
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2015, 05:24 AM   #554
donR
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: E91 335i, B5 RS4, F31 330i

Garage List
Yep, I dropped in this arvo to check out a couple of the finished cars at Carbon Daemon. Shane's car looked great out in the sun and you really wouldn't know it wasn't the real McCoy. I don't think the photos do it justice. Definitely a gloss finish in comparison with the usual 3M and Avery stuff which has more of a satin finish. A nice depth to the vvivid stuff also, you'd almost think it had a bit of a clear coat on it.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 01:59 AM   #555
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

Gave the old girl a detail today, and finally got some decent natural light to get some pics.

The CF wrap is very convincing, when you run your hand over the film it has a slightly rippled texture to it even

I'm extremely happy with it, now I just need a M3 bodykit and a M3 front bar lip and side skirt lips and I'll be happy with the external aesthetics!

Hopefully I'll have my car at advan next week to commence work on the m3 driveline upgrade and in a few weeks time I'll be finally able to have a car which shall handle adequetely to justify some Nitto NT05 semi's
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 02:11 AM   #556
woosh
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: rs

Money shot, that last one.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 02:56 AM   #557
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
just beautiful DrJ
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 02:58 AM   #558
Roman00
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Wow looks great shane, it definitely looks like the real deal! Glad everything worked out well on the day.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 06:05 AM   #559
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

Well I've finally got the car at advan to have the M3 driveline installed!

Hopefully Pete, Stu, Bill & the boys will have her on the road shortly I cant wait to finally rid the car of its elasticity feeling of the rear end suspension components deflecting under hard acceleration and the understeering front end due to the soft fluid filled front lower and upper links!

In conjunction to the M3 sussy/sways/ and LSD I have a set of BC BR's to slot in.

Alpinalux has done a comprehensive review on some M3 bits he's added to his 335i FYI (not a full M3 driveline swap)

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=379775

Once this is all in, it should cure most irritants I had with the OEM suspension setup, and the M3 parts also run some extra negative camber to provide sharper steering response and turn in (when I first got my bmw I was dissapointed as i felt the oem setup is somewhat vague, albeit this was with RFT's that improved dramatically with the goodyear F1's - but coming from a well setup RWD prior to the BMW the steering feel even with the goodyear F1's didnt match my previous car)

I couldn't justify upgrading to a serious road tyre on the oem msport suspension, but now that the driveline will be transformed shortly I've decided to bite the bullet and get some rather agressive tyres for the car that arrived today:

Nitto NT05 245/35 F & 275/30 R .

The nitto's get rave reviews from a lot of owners, and whilst these are marketed as a semi slick, apparently they're still quite streetable and can easily handle wet weather (of course they wont handle 300+ RWKW in the wet if you drove like a knob)

I was surprised with how light they felt and easily carried both 275/30 tyres one in each hand, whereas I recall the oem 255/30 RFT's being quite heavy!

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188261

http://www.nittotire.com/passenger-t...formance-tire/

Since I do 2-4k kays a year in her, I'm not really worried about increased tyre wear and I only ever drive her for fun on the odd weekend away with the boys or going for a blap out on some quite country roads, so the tyre noise wont be an issue either (but some reviews I've read have stated these are a really quite tyre anyhow!)

I plan to eventually add an M3 front bar, skirts and mtech rear in the next 6 months, and was starting to think whilst the 313M rims look great and ooze oem class and style, they may clash somewhat with the agressive M3 kit (they suit the M sport kit beautifully, but I want the M3 kit a lot more!!)

I'm over slammed cars with huge camber and scrubbing tyres on the guards, these shall provide a neat setup that will run minimal negative amber and fill the guards right out, and a set of oem M3 'competition pack' 359M rims which are 19x 9 +31 & 19 x 10 +25 fit the bill perfectly as they will provide an oem classy appearance, yet also look tough complimenting the M3 bodykit.

Unsure of wether or not to keep them silver or to spray them satin black... Talking to a 1M owner recently his gloss black 359M rims were covered in brake dust after 1 day of use (street driving) so I'm kinda hesitant to paint them black, but was hoping a satin black would help mask the brake dust...

Thoughts guys?

Vote exhibit A silver rims

Vote exhibit B black rims

Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 06:32 AM   #560
AUSf22
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C HS & Ferrari Roma

Garage List
ooo exciting times ahead Shane! I definitely vote for option A (Silver). I think I'm going to pull the trigger on M359 reps now that you've gotten your genuine set. I also have the option of going with either black or silver but I'm 90% sure I'm getting silver and living with having to clean my wheels every week

Excellent choice in tyres btw
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 06:38 AM   #561
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i MT

I'd go silver, see too many cars with black. Love the 359 and looking to get a set but can't find any reps locally with wierdass e82 offsets.
      08-03-2015, 07:17 AM   #562
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUSf22 View Post
ooo exciting times ahead Shane! I definitely vote for option A (Silver). I think I'm going to pull the trigger on M359 reps now that you've gotten your genuine set. I also have the option of going with either black or silver but I'm 90% sure I'm getting silver and living with having to clean my wheels every week

Excellent choice in tyres btw
Yup your car will look money with some M359 rims

Treat the rims with some nanolex wheel sealant, I high reccomend that stuff (like opticoat that is easily DIY and sold by CCP @ Five Dock)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtl View Post
I'd go silver, see too many cars with black. Love the 359 and looking to get a set but can't find any reps locally with wierdass e82 offsets.
Have you tried sourcing them from ozzy tyres (I believe they're the avantgarde distributor) alternatively I believe there are a few vendors on this site that offer them at good prices shipped from the USA?

I agree that black is kinda played out, and it reminded me of the chrome craze in the 90's and early 2000... But just looking at pics the black rims seems to display the concavity of the rear rims to more effect

I normally apply a somewhat practical approach to aesthetics, so considering the black rims is something out of the norm for me!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 07:55 AM   #563
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Can't wait to hear what you think if the M3 bits once you have a few miles of driving under your belt. Nice new rims and rubber will totally change the look. I vote silver with a set of ceramic brake pads to get rid of the dusties. +100
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 05:34 PM   #564
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR-JEKL View Post
Have you tried sourcing them from ozzy tyres (I believe they're the avantgarde distributor) alternatively I believe there are a few vendors on this site that offer them at good prices shipped from the USA?

I agree that black is kinda played out, and it reminded me of the chrome craze in the 90's and early 2000... But just looking at pics the black rims seems to display the concavity of the rear rims to more effect

I normally apply a somewhat practical approach to aesthetics, so considering the black rims is something out of the norm for me!
Looked on the ozzy tyres website but they only list 8" width for 18". Not interested in going 19", would prefer the ride compliance of an 18" and prefer the look of a chunkier tyre anyway. I might have to shoot them an email to ask them for different widths/offsets

With your M3 LSD install, are you going to upgrade the diff bushings? I'm thinking of going for poly bushings when I do mine.
      08-03-2015, 05:53 PM   #565
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtl View Post
Looked on the ozzy tyres website but they only list 8" width for 18". Not interested in going 19", would prefer the ride compliance of an 18" and prefer the look of a chunkier tyre anyway. I might have to shoot them an email to ask them for different widths/offsets

With your M3 LSD install, are you going to upgrade the diff bushings? I'm thinking of going for poly bushings when I do mine.

Yeah give them a call and see what they can do for you in 18". Sometimes their websites don't have all sizes/fitments listed.

I sat on the fence regarding the solid bushes for a long time... Last month TMS had a sale on their bushes also, but decided to leave the oem bushes in (for no real reason other than the fact to save some $ and the bushes only have 2 years of use and I guess I can always do them at a later stage - even though it would be much easier to do them now)
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 05:56 PM   #566
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socket View Post
Can't wait to hear what you think if the M3 bits once you have a few miles of driving under your belt. Nice new rims and rubber will totally change the look. I vote silver with a set of ceramic brake pads to get rid of the dusties. +100
Yeah I'm very keen also to see how it all performs!

Silver definitely seems to be the majority so far, and is the safer option
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 06:00 PM   #567
naynay
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2006 E92 335i FBO

go black. i bought some silver concave concepts and immediately painted them back a few days later
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 06:14 PM   #568
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

I found this pic, and that's exactly what I had in mind in terms of black wheels with a lip on front M3 bumper and lip for side skirts!

Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 07:29 PM   #569
JJH
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: IB E92 M3 DCT; SG E90 325i

Great to hear that the next big step forward is happening for you Shane. Just to throw another thought out there on the wheel colour choice, I'd be leaning towards a darker colour but not black as I agree it is a bit of a current trend that is bound to fade. Have you thought about charcoal grey as that would still give you a nice contrast with the SG and pick up the carbon on the roof; and the front lip/rear spoiler?
      08-04-2015, 06:09 AM   #570
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJH_335 View Post
Great to hear that the next big step forward is happening for you Shane. Just to throw another thought out there on the wheel colour choice, I'd be leaning towards a darker colour but not black as I agree it is a bit of a current trend that is bound to fade. Have you thought about charcoal grey as that would still give you a nice contrast with the SG and pick up the carbon on the roof; and the front lip/rear spoiler?
Yes I have consider it, I was trying to get a 'gunmetal' colour but apparently that's an expensive paint colour to get and would have to go through a wheel refurbisher whereas my mate who is a spraypainter can easily do satin black...

Joe had his rims painted on his 1M (tad too light for my liking)

These are too light also

gunmetal on white

I wonder if these are gunmetal..

[img][/img]

Last edited by DR-JEKL; 08-04-2015 at 07:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 07:09 PM   #571
JJH
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: IB E92 M3 DCT; SG E90 325i

Apart from the white M3 in your pics above, agree the gunmetal is too light a shade. The charcoal I was suggesting is darker again which would give the contrast you want but is not black. If that makes sense!!!

This is claimed to be charcoal > http://s1.cdn.autoevolution.com/imag...ls-67359-7.jpg

Last edited by JJH; 08-04-2015 at 07:43 PM.. Reason: Added link to pic.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2015, 11:08 PM   #572
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJH_335 View Post
Apart from the white M3 in your pics above, agree the gunmetal is too light a shade. The charcoal I was suggesting is darker again which would give the contrast you want but is not black. If that makes sense!!!

This is claimed to be charcoal >
Hmm yes that's a nice colour combo, almost looks like satin black
Appreciate 0