E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Warranty on TurboChargers

09-08-2012, 09:29 PM   #67
shaginwagon13
Chartered Accountant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeritasTruthEmet View Post
Will replacing the turbos fix the wastegate problem or will this problem just recur again and again? What I'm trying to understand is whether the N54s can be repaired at all. If this engine is going to destroy itself every 2 years, then it's probably time to get another car. If anyone can give me some insight, it would be greatly appreciated.
I've heard the newer turbos have lengthened (corrected) rods but not sure if this was on later N54's or just on the N55's. Some members on the forums say that after replacing them the rattle never came back.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 11:01 AM   #68
Zebra99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is E93

Garage List
Hey guys,

Just an update. I contact that toll free number for Transport Canada (noted earlier above) and the investigator called me back. (Great service here)

He basically stated that although he understands our frustration, the WG rattle/limp mode it causes is actually a 'safety feature' and not considered a safety issue. Thus, it unfortunately doesn't qualify for them to do anything about it.

He did provide me with a contact # 1800-668-6767 for Environment Canada.
-I'm contemplating calling them too, but I'm worried about them sending someone out to see the car and seeing the mods lol... don't need more issues for myself.

I think I'll proceed with the Diagnostic at the dealer first and go from there....

Any thoughts folks?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 02:32 PM   #69
shaginwagon13
Chartered Accountant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra99 View Post
Hey guys,

Just an update. I contact that toll free number for Transport Canada (noted earlier above) and the investigator called me back. (Great service here)

He basically stated that although he understands our frustration, the WG rattle/limp mode it causes is actually a 'safety feature' and not considered a safety issue. Thus, it unfortunately doesn't qualify for them to do anything about it.

-I'm contemplating calling them too, but I'm worried about them sending someone out to see the car and seeing the mods lol... don't need more issues for myself.

I think I'll proceed with the Diagnostic at the dealer first and go from there....

Any thoughts folks?
They can't force you to show them the car even if they do come out and look (which I highly doubt they will do anyways). If they do, just simply say you only trust your mechanic to dig around under the hood and if they have any questions you can have your mechanic give them a call....
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 07:23 AM   #70
e90Nate
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
any updates?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 07:27 AM   #71
///Mandy
N54 <3
Rep
Drives: E90 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra99 View Post
Have someone with a stock car call them.

E90 335xi|Nav pkg|Sport pkg|Dakota leather|Brushed aluminum trim|MTech kit
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 09:50 AM   #72
e90Nate
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
my factory warranty is up in november, considering buying aftermarket strictly for this wastegate issue. if they extend the warranty on the wastegate for canada then i dont see the need in me purchasing the extended warranty. hopefully this will get resolved and we become apart of it.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 10:17 AM   #73
shaginwagon13
Chartered Accountant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNate View Post
my factory warranty is up in november, considering buying aftermarket strictly for this wastegate issue. if they extend the warranty on the wastegate for canada then i dont see the need in me purchasing the extended warranty. hopefully this will get resolved and we become apart of it.
We are all in the same boat too...
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2012, 07:31 PM   #74
kavadarci
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335xi

so no updates on this puppy? we all complaint but bmw canada is doing nothing while our cars sound like shit thanks to this "feature". just bad bad bad. i don't think i would get another bmw just because of these little tricks they do. same car, same model, same problem but no its in canada and we don't cover it. BULL....
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2012, 09:07 PM   #75
shaginwagon13
Chartered Accountant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavadarci View Post
so no updates on this puppy? we all complaint but bmw canada is doing nothing while our cars sound like shit thanks to this "feature". just bad bad bad. i don't think i would get another bmw just because of these little tricks they do. same car, same model, same problem but no its in canada and we don't cover it. BULL....
I agree, but I doubt Benz is any better. Don't forget they are in the market to make as much money as they can right. Its too bad they offer the warranty to the US guys and not us though, that is ridiculous, even more so because of the excuses why they won't warranty ours.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2012, 09:08 PM   #76
kavadarci
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335xi

i doubt benz is better but i don't own benz so i have to deal with bmw and just suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2012, 04:35 PM   #77
VeritasTruthEmet
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Cabrio

Brief update: BMW Canada paid for 4 thousand and made me pay for labour in the amount of ~$CAD1600. Both turbos failed and had to be replaced. The car is not the same, it has half the power it used to. The steering is also severely damaged: it pulls from side to side depending on the slope of the road and is hard to control when the road is bumpy. The dealer noted that pieces of the car became fused and had to be ripped apart. I think the wastegate defect profoundly damages much of the engine. The thing is incredible turbo lag and this is no longer anything like the vehicle I agreed to buy.

I no longer want to wait to assemble a class proceeding, I will be suing on my own. Best of luck to everyone else. I will still consider posting my statement of claim as a template.

"How do you say "Toyota" in German? BMW."
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2012, 04:41 PM   #78
shaginwagon13
Chartered Accountant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Brief update: BMW Canada paid for 4 thousand and made me pay for labour in the amount of ~$CAD1600. Both turbos failed and had to be replaced. The car is not the same, it has half the power it used to. The steering is also severely damaged: it pulls from side to side depending on the slope of the road and is hard to control when the road is bumpy. The dealer noted that pieces of the car became fused and had to be ripped apart. I think the wastegate defect profoundly damages much of the engine. The thing is incredible turbo lag and this is no longer anything like the vehicle I agreed to buy.

I no longer want to wait to assemble a class proceeding, I will be suing on my own. Best of luck to everyone else. I will still consider posting my statement of claim as a template.
That sucks man I feel for you. If you don't mind me asking, how did you even get them to cover the $4000 in parts when out of warranty?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 10:15 AM   #79
e90Nate
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
wow that is terrible hopefully your lawsuit works out favorably for yourself and everyone else in turn. I ended up purchasing extended warranty in fear of this happening.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 11:10 AM   #80
E90TT721
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Sport

I have heard about this but not have not really looked into until now. I bought my car this year in August from Town+Country BMW and I did buy the extended warranty for it. It is a certified series car and if anything I was told that the turbos where covered by the sales guy. I am now understanding why the sales guy told me that after being on this forums. lol!
      10-15-2012, 12:17 PM   #81
shaginwagon13
Chartered Accountant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90TT721 View Post
I have heard about this but not have not really looked into until now. I bought my car this year in August from Town+Country BMW and I did buy the extended warranty for it. It is a certified series car and if anything I was told that the turbos where covered by the sales guy. I am now understanding why the sales guy told me that after being on this forums. lol!
How much did the extended warranty run you if you don't mind me asking I am thinking about buying it.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 01:14 PM   #82
ASPEC135i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: sideways always

I have just gotten both turbos replaced in my 2008 n54 135i - under CPO coverage (ends April 2014). Thought I'd share my experience with you good folks and return back to this community.

I have had the rattle for around ~1 year now and it definately gets worse as time goes by.* At first I just ignored it as the car runs fine for everyday use (I only drive hard once in a while, here and there), no time from my work hours, and I usually listen to music when I'm driving.* Driving in and around parking lots, especially underground ones were pretty embarassing though as people who turn to see what car was making such noise.*

I've been a lurker on this forum and have read many threads/posts about the rattle and getting the dealership to fix it - sounds like they usually give us Canadians a hard time about it!

The replacement process all started when my waterpump failed.* While the car was getting repaired at the dealership (fully covered by CPO - no questions asked), I also brought to their attention about the rattle.* The SA's initial assumption was "a loose heatshield", and that I will have to pay $135+tax for diagnostic fee.* I did not have time to address the rattling issue and argue with them at the moment in time, so I just told him to document it and I will be back again when I had the time.*

A month later, I went back to the dealership on my day off and told them to look into the rattling sound (I was pretty darn sure it was wastegate rattling from the hundreds of threads and postings I have been reading / researching on here).* The SA arranged for a shop foreman to go for a test drive with me.* After the test drive, the foreman thinks that it had something to do with my exhaust (beating around the bush?* or perhaps they have to go through all these diagnostic procedures before they could officially request from BMW NA on performing a big warranty job such as replacing turbos).* During this time, I really wanted to tell them to stop wasting my time and that it was wastegate issues, but I decided it was a smarter move to play it "dumb" and "cooperate".* They kept my car for another entire day and performed a "scope test" and "intake and exhaust system leak check with the smoke machine".* No air leaks were found.*

I recieved a call from them the end of that day, and the SA says that there were no issues with my exhaust.* Next step is to drop my turbos, and "go on straight time to perform benchmark test as per DIS" to get some values and send to BMW NA to see if the turbos were out of sync to the point where they would approve new turbos.* This took two full days.* I recieved another call in the morning of the third day saying BMW NA has approved of new turbos and they will be replacing mine (takes another full day).*

All in all, although the process was pretty tedious and time consuming, it was all worth it!* I am a strong supporter of CPO.* Out of it, I have had new weatherstrippings replaced, new radio, exhaust checked for free, and new turbos.*

The best part?* I only paid $50+tax deductible for all of this (all $135+tax diagnostic fees refunded after they have confirmed the part was covered)*

I'm at work at the moment, but will scan the invoice for you guys when I find the time

PS-* A little friendly pointer:* Don't go into the dealership thinking you know it all.* Be courteous, cooperative, but also let them know you know what you are doing.** I think that helps when asking for a big "favor" from them.*
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2012, 01:38 PM   #83
E90TT721
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaginwagon13 View Post
How much did the extended warranty run you if you don't mind me asking I am thinking about buying it.

Well my car is a 2007 and bought it this year in August. So the manufacture warranty is up in January next year so the one I bought is for an extended 2 years coverage on more things then the factory one is. I think was cost me around $3000. I have to check but think that is ball park figure. Sorry if this does not help much but I can pm you later.
      10-16-2012, 01:51 PM   #84
E90TT721
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASPEC135i View Post
I have just gotten both turbos replaced in my 2008 n54 135i - under CPO coverage (ends April 2014). Thought I'd share my experience with you good folks and return back to this community.

I have had the rattle for around ~1 year now and it definately gets worse as time goes by.* At first I just ignored it as the car runs fine for everyday use (I only drive hard once in a while, here and there), no time from my work hours, and I usually listen to music when I'm driving.* Driving in and around parking lots, especially underground ones were pretty embarassing though as people who turn to see what car was making such noise.*

I've been a lurker on this forum and have read many threads/posts about the rattle and getting the dealership to fix it - sounds like they usually give us Canadians a hard time about it!

The replacement process all started when my waterpump failed.* While the car was getting repaired at the dealership (fully covered by CPO - no questions asked), I also brought to their attention about the rattle.* The SA's initial assumption was "a loose heatshield", and that I will have to pay $135+tax for diagnostic fee.* I did not have time to address the rattling issue and argue with them at the moment in time, so I just told him to document it and I will be back again when I had the time.*

A month later, I went back to the dealership on my day off and told them to look into the rattling sound (I was pretty darn sure it was wastegate rattling from the hundreds of threads and postings I have been reading / researching on here).* The SA arranged for a shop foreman to go for a test drive with me.* After the test drive, the foreman thinks that it had something to do with my exhaust (beating around the bush?* or perhaps they have to go through all these diagnostic procedures before they could officially request from BMW NA on performing a big warranty job such as replacing turbos).* During this time, I really wanted to tell them to stop wasting my time and that it was wastegate issues, but I decided it was a smarter move to play it "dumb" and "cooperate".* They kept my car for another entire day and performed a "scope test" and "intake and exhaust system leak check with the smoke machine".* No air leaks were found.*

I recieved a call from them the end of that day, and the SA says that there were no issues with my exhaust.* Next step is to drop my turbos, and "go on straight time to perform benchmark test as per DIS" to get some values and send to BMW NA to see if the turbos were out of sync to the point where they would approve new turbos.* This took two full days.* I recieved another call in the morning of the third day saying BMW NA has approved of new turbos and they will be replacing mine (takes another full day).*

All in all, although the process was pretty tedious and time consuming, it was all worth it!* I am a strong supporter of CPO.* Out of it, I have had new weatherstrippings replaced, new radio, exhaust checked for free, and new turbos.*

The best part?* I only paid $50+tax deductible for all of this (all $135+tax diagnostic fees refunded after they have confirmed the part was covered)*

I'm at work at the moment, but will scan the invoice for you guys when I find the time

PS-* A little friendly pointer:* Don't go into the dealership thinking you know it all.* Be courteous, cooperative, but also let them know you know what you are doing.** I think that helps when asking for a big "favor" from them.*

Question for you did you at any point in time mention that you found information for this issue from a BMW forum site or searching the web? I am getting a rattle when on start up only and thinking of going in to have them look at it, but not exactly sure what to say to them.

Thanks for your informative write up on your issue.
      10-16-2012, 10:55 PM   #85
shaginwagon13
Chartered Accountant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Well my car is a 2007 and bought it this year in August. So the manufacture warranty is up in January next year so the one I bought is for an extended 2 years coverage on more things then the factory one is. I think was cost me around $3000. I have to check but think that is ball park figure. Sorry if this does not help much but I can pm you later.
Ya thats around what I figured. I am going to call BMW tomorrow and see what kind of warranty package I can buy...
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 07:59 AM   #86
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.

Quote:

Do yourself a favor and keep it to yourself until its over. Another guy broadcast his legal issues here and it severely affected the outcome.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 08:18 AM   #87
ASPEC135i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: sideways always

Quote:
Question for you did you at any point in time mention that you found information for this issue from a BMW forum site or searching the web? I am getting a rattle when on start up only and thinking of going in to have them look at it, but not exactly sure what to say to them.

Thanks for your informative write up on your issue.
That rattling on start up MAY actually be the valve opening of the exhaust. Search and perform "golf-tee mod" if you have not already, and see if that is your solution.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 01:49 PM   #88
KPDoubleX
❤ 335i love ❤
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaginwagon13 View Post
I've heard the newer turbos have lengthened (corrected) rods but not sure if this was on later N54's or just on the N55's. Some members on the forums say that after replacing them the rattle never came back.
I just got mine completely replaced and asked them about it. They redesigned a lot of the parts in the turbo, the whole wastegate and the oil cooling. The wastegate is longer and the spring is stronger supposedly. I guess the problem is not supposed to come back again (from what they said) once this is all replaced. Nice having a $3000 job covered under warranty!
Appreciate 0