E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > N54 Extended Warranty

03-01-2013, 04:20 PM   #1
Toad335
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: LCI 335i

N54 Extended Warranty

Fellow drivers - I have been doing lots of research related to extending the warranty on my soon-to-be-expired 2009 LCI E90 335i Manual. I've read lots of posts and threads that state opinions, but I'm not interested in someone's risk profile versus mine. I'm interested in what could actually go wrong with my car and if it is work $3k for another 3yrs of warranty (yes, that is the best price I have been quoted for a 7yr/100k GOLD warranty). I am NOT considering the maintenance option.

If you have had any issues with your car between 50k and 100k, what where they? The issues that I know are common are HPFP and Turbos, both now covered until at least 8 years.

I have had my rear LED tail lights replaced due to a known issue, HPFP replace 3 times and now on the recall pump, battery, FRM, spark plugs, some trim, and the radio head unit replaced under bumper-to-bumper.

I'm worried about heated seats/steering, active xenon headlights stopping their movement, all the modules in the car, the steering angle sensor, and the transmission (again, it's a manual).

What else have people had happen to them? What was the cost to repair?

I'm looking for real data, not conjecture. My gut is telling me let the warranty expire and pay out of pocket for repairs I can't make on my own, but not sure how much things could add up and if that is a bad idea. I love the car and will probably keep it another few years if it doesn't become a money pit.

Thanks guys! Hope this can become a reference for others, so links to repair threads would be great, too.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 04:44 PM   #2
ef11
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Sedan M-Sport

I just bought the 84M 100K Platinum for $3800...I have Nav and HK sound so I paid the extra $300 for platinum over gold. Gold at $3000 seems like a pretty good deal.

There is a thread here that lists the common problems and cost to fix each...should be on page 1-5 currenlty.

I would just do it for peace of mind....I don't think twice about flooring mine now.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 04:48 PM   #3
Neothin87
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e90 335i

water pumps fail a lot in that mileage range
      03-01-2013, 04:55 PM   #4
iBoost
Retired e90post Member
Rep
Drives: real slow

since were talking about extended warranty, anyone have a 3rd party warranty? is it possible to get a car with 100k miles a warranty?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 05:20 PM   #5
techwhiz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i Sedan - Arctic

Under extended warranty on my car.
Injectors, but would be covered under bulletin, but got new plugs at the same time.
HPFP, again under a bulletin.
Crank sensor and related. (Earlier this week).

Right now in for diagnostic for rough idle and multiple codes related to P112D.
Looks like more bad injectors and possibly coil packs.

Add to this list my water pump at 76K miles.

Driving a 3K mile F30 328. Yuck!

Last edited by techwhiz; 05-08-2013 at 08:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 06:01 PM   #6
reck
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Sedan

I purchased an extended warranty on an identical car as you in Nov.

2009 335i Sedan, MT, Sport, Premium, Nav
Gold package 7/100 (extended from 5/2013 to 5/2016)
Passport BMW
$2840

I reality is if you aren't going to work on your car yourself, then you should purchase the warranty. Read the forum, the typical repair is around $1200. Think about the repairs you have had thus far...on a "newer" vehicle no less. Repairs generally don't decrease when you rack on the miles.

On a side note, a considerable amount of the turbo failures are not related to the extended warranty you are talking about.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 09:11 PM   #7
menewtobmw
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBoost View Post
since were talking about extended warranty, anyone have a 3rd party warranty? is it possible to get a car with 100k miles a warranty?
You can usually grab a policy before 100K, I have not seen one for cars north of that mark.

Even in the 60+K range, the cost is high and coverage in miles and years is small.
      03-01-2013, 09:12 PM   #8
menewtobmw
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBoost View Post
BTW - I do have a 3rd party warranty until 98K. Though, it is a BMW so I will sell it at 90K.
      03-01-2013, 09:13 PM   #9
Toad335
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: LCI 335i

Thanks guys - great feedback. Though so far the advice is much like I have seen - it's probably a good idea... but what are people actually getting fixed... ie - will I get my money's worth, or just assuming that average repairs are $1200. I would have to have 3 repairs to pay back the warranty in that case. What 3 things (or hopefully 5+) should I expect to go wrong to make it worth the cost? So far I've heard water pump and crank sensor (sounds scary ). Obviously I'm asking because in general warranties are designed to make BMW money, not lose it. I'd rather pay for repairs I can't do out of pocket if the likliehood that I have 3 $1200 repairs is small, though I do think the peace of mind is worth something as well (plus ease of resale). I'm leaning towards it for sure, but want as much data as I can to push me over the edge.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 09:19 AM   #10
Fun w/N54
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 335is AW/CR/DCT

I'm in same boat with my 09 e92. Great car and very reliable but close to 50k mark. On these forums you read more about the bad than the good but you also can educate yourself on the items most likely to fail.

Not all extended warranties are the same, the BMW ones offer zero pro-rated refund if claims have been paid. Pay 3k for 3 years of coverage and car gets totalled out after small claim and you are out of luck. Most 3rd parties reduce by claims then pro-rate on time/miles.

Take the time and read the sample contract before you buy anything. Most will frown on ANY mods and can (will) use wording in contract to deny claims. One I saw required oil changes every 5k miles or 6mo. Not a huge deal but again if not followed you will be SOL.

I plan on keeping mine another year and believe will be easier to sell as all warranties can be transferred for small fee. If not private party sale and I trade in I can cancel and get some refund.

Good luck
      03-02-2013, 09:48 AM   #11
reck
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toad335 View Post
Thanks guys - great feedback. Though so far the advice is much like I have seen - it's probably a good idea... but what are people actually getting fixed... ie - will I get my money's worth, or just assuming that average repairs are $1200. I would have to have 3 repairs to pay back the warranty in that case. What 3 things (or hopefully 5+) should I expect to go wrong to make it worth the cost? So far I've heard water pump and crank sensor (sounds scary ). Obviously I'm asking because in general warranties are designed to make BMW money, not lose it. I'd rather pay for repairs I can't do out of pocket if the likliehood that I have 3 $1200 repairs is small, though I do think the peace of mind is worth something as well (plus ease of resale). I'm leaning towards it for sure, but want as much data as I can to push me over the edge.
I'm surprised there isn't a sticky on it..because the things that go wrong seem to be overall common place (at least on the forums).

1. Fuel Injectors
2. Coils
3. VANOS Solenoids
4. Mechatronics sleeve leaking
5. Oil filter housing leaking
6. Adaptive headlight failure
7. Window regulators/pulley failures
8. Water pump
9. Turbo failures outside of the waste gate related issues
10. Intake valve cleaning (I listed this because if you run into idling issues, the dealer/warranty will in fact cover a walnut blast..your mileage may vary).

Some of these items seem to come up more than once in the life of the car..which IMO is ridiculous. Out of that simple list of 10 items.. I'm betting you will run into a least 3 before you hit 100k. Maybe it's just me, but I've had to deal with a few of them before I was out of warranty.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 09:51 AM   #12
reck
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toad335 View Post
Also, you are right about the resale.. I dreaded the idea of trying to sell the car with absolutely no warranty. I rarely trade in vehicles..so I knew this would be a factor for me selling the vehicle privately. Like others stated, I'll probably sell around 85-90k.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 11:14 AM   #13
ChasVS
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 MB ML350 Bluetec

A Warranty isn't a "get my money's worth" proposition. It's an insurance plan. Like any insurance plan, you're betting something, or multiple things will break and you'll save more money overall than paying out of pocket. The Warranty Company is betting that won't happen. They make a profit by playing the odds, and the odds are in their favor or they'd go broke. As many have listed already, there are a few things that could go bad, but many happen to be covered under a recall or otherwise not going to be expensive enough to bother with an extended warranty.
      03-02-2013, 11:17 AM   #14
bender rodriguez
Banned
Rep
Drives: Audi

Quote:
Originally Posted by menewtobmw View Post
BTW - I do have a 3rd party warranty until 98K. Though, it is a BMW so I will sell it at 90K.
Why do the cars explode after 90k?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 01:06 PM   #15
iBoost
Retired e90post Member
Rep
Drives: real slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by menewtobmw View Post
Lol good plan
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 01:41 PM   #16
Fun w/N54
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 335is AW/CR/DCT

Not sure of 3rd party deals with adaptive head lights, VANOS, walnut blasting, etc as they list the stuff they cover and don't cover but items like these not mentioned in either.

One warranty actually identifed coverage for OEM Turbo 'Housing'...am I supposed to assume it covers the blades, seals, and other vital items?

So the BMW warranty may have some advantages with these type of brand specific repairs.
      03-02-2013, 01:58 PM   #17
Jon2168
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW E92 Coupe

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Waterpump Failed @ exactly 55k miles. Lucky had CPO, about $1k for the job.

Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 07:33 PM   #18
menewtobmw
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Ritz View Post
Why do the cars explode after 90k?
No, but they become very cost prohibitive. Especially considering that mine has been tuned since 30K and I drive hard.
      03-03-2013, 01:38 PM   #19
MountainStone
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 335i Sedan

If you have a good indy mechanic and/or like to do your own repairs, you'd prolly come out ahead by self-insuring. If you don't have a garage/tools/inclination or a mechanic you trust, you should prolly get the warranty. A warranty does make it easier to sell, but I dunno if you'll get enough extra for the car to justify the $3K cost...
      03-03-2013, 02:10 PM   #20
BMV///M3
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW f80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon2168
Waterpump Failed @ exactly 55k miles. Lucky had CPO, about $1k for the job.
Nice. That justified a but chunk of your CPO. I had to have it when I purchased mine. I think it's def worth it on a 335. I'm at 47k and am cpo'd till 5/2015. I'll prob sell it before it expires.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 02:34 PM   #21
Vector
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '09 335i coupe - Space Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by reck View Post
I'm surprised there isn't a sticky on it..because the things that go wrong seem to be overall common place (at least on the forums).

1. Fuel Injectors
2. Coils
3. VANOS Solenoids
8. Water pump
10. Intake valve cleaning (I listed this because if you run into idling issues, the dealer/warranty will in fact cover a walnut blast..your mileage may vary).

Some of these items seem to come up more than once in the life of the car..which IMO is ridiculous. Out of that simple list of 10 items.. I'm betting you will run into a least 3 before you hit 100k. Maybe it's just me, but I've had to deal with a few of them before I was out of warranty.
Thought the VANOS Soleniod was related to the Twin-Scroll Turbo (twin-power) on the 2011+s
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 06:46 PM   #22
Greatdane84
Leeeroy Jankins
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i e90 LCI

Garage List
2009 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector
Quote:
Originally Posted by reck View Post

1. Fuel Injectors
2. Coils
3. VANOS Solenoids
8. Water pump

Thought the VANOS Soleniod was related to the Twin-Scroll Turbo (twin-power) on the 2011+s
Yes but we're talking about his 09'

"If you're not 1st, you're last" -Ricky Bobby
Appreciate 0