E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > About those underseat Subs

01-19-2007, 03:02 PM   #1
Supr7
Rep
Drives: 07 328i

About those underseat Subs

I'd like to work with the basic (not Logic 7) underseat 6-inch subs, or mid-subs or whatever you want to call them, not only for cost reasons but to keep the system clean. I notice that with a well produced, bass-heavy source tune, they sound better and go deeper than I might have expected. I'm not into rap or massive bass thump but I like to hear the bass fill.

So my options would seem to be: 1) amp the existing subs a bit; 2) replace them with logic 7 subs, maybe amped; 3) see if the 5-series 8-inch underseaters (or so I'm told) might fit. Has anyone tried any of these options? Or something else? I don't know what the cost of a swap might be, but if it means buying parts from the dealer, I'd expect to get dinged pretty good- maybe more than a mainstream subwoofer + amp install. It would be nice to keep the upgrade under $500. If this stratgegy isn't an option, I'm thinking about a free air 10-incher mounted on the plastic panel between the back seat and the trunk. Those can sound really good if done right.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2007, 09:11 PM   #2
s4iscool
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

stick an infinity basslink in the trunk
they work great, are cheap, and easy to install
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2007, 08:25 PM   #3
cychan
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

I totally agree with you. I change all my speakers to Morel but leave the 2 sub stock. I power the 4 Morel with 2 Helix A2 amp and the 2 stock sub with a Apline 160w amp. With this setup, the audio system in my 330i just become so good now.
      01-20-2007, 08:28 PM   #4
cychan
Hong Kong
Rep

Further more on my setup. I power the Morel high with one A2 bridge mono, The mid with One A2 bridge mono and the Sub with the Apline mono with no cross-over. Balance it yourself with gain and you get the best sound
      01-20-2007, 08:36 PM   #5
cychan
Hong Kong
Rep

One thing. The factory HU have no sub output but the factory amp have sub filiter. I have try 2 setup with the sub setup and its what I have find out

From the HU, I use a Audio Control LC6 to link high power out from HU to RCA my Helix and Apline amp. On doing this. I found that if you just bridge the sub from your HU source. It will give you Mid- low all the time and its no good for what I want to do. I use the Apline for the sub is the Apline has low pass filiter and it will filiter anything above 25 H. However, if you don't have an amp with low pass filiter. Use the factory Amp and get the sub output from the factory amp not the HU. then pass it to the Audio Control LC6 and it will do the work. The factory amp do have low pass filiter.
      01-21-2007, 02:58 AM   #6
marcm
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 LCI

I'm looking to do the same with an Infinity Basslink. It fits perfectly in the well under the boot floor in my E61. The problem is here in the UK I dont have the HiFi setup, just standard sound with Navigation Professional.

I have been looking all over the car for an amp to hook up to, the same way I did in my E46 touring (that was dead easy as the amp was under the floor in the boot), but I cant find an amp.

I guess I'm going to have to tap off the back of the headunit.

Does anyone know the pinout of the back of the headunit or is there another place the amp could be located ?

Thanks
MarcM
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2007, 03:18 AM   #7
RaptorKTM
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1 M Coupe

Garage List
2011 BMW 1 M  [0.00]
the amp is in the trunk of the car on the left side under a panel
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2007, 03:47 AM   #8
marcm
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Not in the UK its not, I've had all the panels out in the back of the car.

From what I understand the stock UK system the amplification is done in the head unit
The HiFi system which is stock in the US there is an amp in the rear of the car.
The ProLogic also has an amp in the rear of the car.

Next dilema now is how to remove the head unit to access the wires at the back.

Does anyone know how ?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2007, 05:47 AM   #9
boggysv
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: A4, but riding the bus for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by cychan View Post
Further more on my setup. I power the Morel high with one A2 bridge mono, The mid with One A2 bridge mono and the Sub with the Apline mono with no cross-over. Balance it yourself with gain and you get the best sound
You power your highs with a A2?
wow....I used to have a A4 for all front components (spx177r), and a A2 amp (bridged mono) for the sub.

I dont understand, how do you power your speakers bridged mono? does it mean you dont get left/right?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2007, 10:04 AM   #10
cychan
Hong Kong
Rep

Hi Boggysv,
My mistake, I don't bridged mono with the 2 A2. Just cut the cross over from the Mid and high and use one A2 to power the mid and one to high. Only bridged mono on the Apline for the sub.
      01-21-2007, 10:11 AM   #11
cychan
Hong Kong
Rep

Concerning take the HU out. You need to use a small screw drivers to get into the Air-cond unit and found the little lock that hold the air-cond unit in place. Do it very careful and if this is the first time you are doing it. You might need to apply some force to unlock it. Once you get the lock open. Take the air-cond unit out and there are two screw to unlock the HU.
      01-21-2007, 10:14 AM   #12
cychan
Hong Kong
Rep

However, I don't need to take out the HU for the setup of my audio mod. Find the factory Amp and and jump the speakers wire from there. The only time I take the Unit out is because I need to install the Parrot Blue Tools with the mute wire to the HU.
      01-21-2007, 02:06 PM   #13
marcm
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Great, managed to get the head unit out and as you say I was careful as I didnt want to snap any plastics.

I have routed some line level signals to the back of the car where I am going to put the sub. Just need to get the power to the basslink now.

Ive seen in another post that it is possible to tap power from the block that is on top of the battery. I would love to know what the part number is for one of the crimps that goes inside the plug.

I will post how I did it when its all working.

Thanks for the help.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2007, 10:23 PM   #14
cychan
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcm View Post
Great, managed to get the head unit out and as you say I was careful as I didnt want to snap any plastics.

I have routed some line level signals to the back of the car where I am going to put the sub. Just need to get the power to the basslink now.

Ive seen in another post that it is possible to tap power from the block that is on top of the battery. I would love to know what the part number is for one of the crimps that goes inside the plug.

I will post how I did it when its all working.

Thanks for the help.
Do tell us the outcome. I am very interested on your setup. Might copy what you have done.