E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Base Stereo Upgrade, Need Advice

09-14-2012, 12:34 PM   #1
jaymd123
Private
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 335i

Base Stereo Upgrade, Need Advice

First off I'd like to give props to Technic for his awesome harness, jtsherri for his awesome spacers, and VPElectricity and kmarei for their advice.

I just finished "most" of my upgrade by adding the MS-8, XD600/6, Infinity Kappa 42.9i center channel, and SWS-8X underseat subs. I couldn't recode my HU (try as I might) so I'm using high-level inputs. The MS-8 setup looks like this:

MS8 CH1 -> XD600 CH1 -> FL (crossover @ 80hz)
MS8 CH2 -> XD600 CH2 -> FR (crossover @ 80hz)
MS8 CH3 -> RL (crossover @ 80hz)
MS8 CH4 -> RR (crossover @ 80hz)
MS8 CH5 -> CTR (crossover @ 80hz)
MS8 CH6 -> XD600 CH5 -> SL (crossover @ 30hz)
MS8 CH7 -> XD600 CH6 -> SR (crossover @ 30hz)

My first impression was WOW! The MS8 + center channel made a WORLD of difference. Almost to the point where I considered not even installing the Morel Dotech Ovations I purchased. The SWS-8X added a lot of bass, but not the bass I was looking for.

I listen primarily to Hip-Hop and some Techno and Top40. The SWS-8X plays really low, maybe a bit too low for me (I guess I'm getting old because as a kid I would've loved that). What I'm looking for is a more refined, clean, punchy bass.

I still have to add my Morel Dotech Ovations this weekend. Also, I haven't really "tuned" anything properly other than by ear at this point and I'm by no means an audiophile. So I have a few questions:

1) Will the Dotechs do anything for me to achieve more "punchy" mid-bass?

2) Does anyone have any tuning suggestions? I read the Alpine manual but I don't have one of those sine wave CD's.

3) The SWS-8X's seem to be "topping out". I'm not sure how to explain it but almost like they are being overdriven with certain songs. I'm not running them bridged so right now they are only getting 75W each and the gain is set to a little less than half. I know there are no obstructions because I've checked and cut back the carpet. Why is this happening? Do I need to go up on the crossover point?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!!
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 02:00 PM   #2
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

You need to have separate ms-8 channels for underseats.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 02:08 PM   #3
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

1) If they are the 4" Dotechs then no, won't do much for the bass
2) for tuning suggestions do a search on the ms-8. Or read the thread titled "guide to level matching"
3) Maybe the sws will benefit from more power. Would be better to bridge them and then have the other 2 channels for your Dotechs. The centre will be loud enough on ms-8 power. But from what you are saying you might prefer to get mid bass drivers instead

I would also set all your crossovers to 200hz@24db, and the subsonic at 40ish hz@24db
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 02:37 PM   #4
jaymd123
Private
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by taibanl View Post
I am using CH6 and CH7 of the MS8 for sub left and sub right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mob17 View Post
2) for tuning suggestions do a search on the ms-8. Or read the thread titled "guide to level matching"
3) Maybe the sws will benefit from more power. Would be better to bridge them and then have the other 2 channels for your Dotechs. The centre will be loud enough on ms-8 power. But from what you are saying you might prefer to get mid bass drivers instead

I would also set all your crossovers to 200hz@24db, and the subsonic at 40ish hz@24db
Thanks for the advice. I'll try your suggestion and look for the guide matching post. I was just under the assumption that all of those required a "tuning CD" in order to adjust.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 03:00 PM   #5
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

Sorry, what did you think required a tuning cd? Do you mean the setup cd that comes with the ms-8?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 04:12 PM   #6
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymd123
Quote:
Originally Posted by taibanl View Post
I am using CH6 and CH7 of the MS8 for sub left and sub right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mob17 View Post

Thanks for the advice. I'll try your suggestion and look for the guide matching post. I was just under the assumption that all of those required a "tuning CD" in order to adjust.
Ok. I was thinking "side" left and right

Set your fronts as 2 way with a 45/24db subsonic and a 200/24 high/low pass. Configure as sub:none
Appreciate 0