E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Cleaned intake manifold now getting P0402 & P0087 & LIMP mode

05-11-2015, 07:33 PM   #1
dr_dirtg
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335d

Cleaned intake manifold now getting P0402 & P0087 & LIMP mode

I removed my intake, took it apart ( flaps) and got it cleaned out. I cleaned out the valve cover ports as best I could and used a vacuum with a small hose attached to vacuum out the valve cover ports. I then re-assembeled the intake manifold, and put it back in.

I fired up the car, let it idle for 20min. Gave it a few revs. Then I took it for a spin, and now I get P0402 Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow Excessive Detected,
AND
P0087 Fuel Rail/System Pressure - Too Low
The engine goes into Limp mode when I push the pedal down 1/3 of the way, so when my boost turns up to 15-18psi, the engine shuts it down and goes into limp.

I used to get Limp mode every once a while, but Never had codes, and it was from a much higher demand ( at least 3/4 of the pedal , and turbo pressure would push 25-28psi).
- This is why i chose to clean out the intake manifold.

I'm not sure wtf is going on, i thought if i cleaned the intake out, it would get more air and such...

I will hook up inpa tommorrow and play with it to see some values.
Does anyone know what fuel pressure should be at idle?

Anyone have any ideas, suggestions?

I did run a JBD at 80%, it has been removed completely since the intake cleaning.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 08:14 PM   #2
GreekboyD
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335d

Garage List
2009 BMW 335d  [8.00]
Sounds like your boost pressure sensor might be the problem.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 04:29 AM   #3
kiel_dafo_kenyg_as
DIE ANTWOORD
Germany
Rep
Drives: 335d E92

Are all of the red seals in place? Is one of the vacuum lines squeezed between manifold and head cover (where they're crossing the engine front)?
      05-12-2015, 10:57 AM   #4
command_liner
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 335d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_dirtg View Post
I removed my intake, took it apart ( flaps) and got it cleaned out. I cleaned out the valve cover ports as best I could and used a vacuum with a small hose attached to vacuum out the valve cover ports. I then re-assembeled the intake manifold, and put it back in.

I fired up the car, let it idle for 20min. Gave it a few revs. Then I took it for a spin, and now I get P0402 Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow Excessive Detected,
AND
P0087 Fuel Rail/System Pressure - Too Low
The engine goes into Limp mode when I push the pedal down 1/3 of the way, so when my boost turns up to 15-18psi, the engine shuts it down and goes into limp.

I used to get Limp mode every once a while, but Never had codes, and it was from a much higher demand ( at least 3/4 of the pedal , and turbo pressure would push 25-28psi).
- This is why i chose to clean out the intake manifold.

I'm not sure wtf is going on, i thought if i cleaned the intake out, it would get more air and such...

I will hook up inpa tommorrow and play with it to see some values.
Does anyone know what fuel pressure should be at idle?

Anyone have any ideas, suggestions?

I did run a JBD at 80%, it has been removed completely since the intake cleaning.
Having been in this particular zone of hell for about 100 days now, I conclude that diagnosibility of these cars is pretty low, even once you have some experience.

The EGR code may come from the MAF! That would happen because there is a vacuum leak. The system has "plausibility knowledge" about what the MAF, EGR, injector pulse width and oxygen sensor should be as a group. If you introduce a vacuum leak, you change the intake mass flow and then EGR becomes improbable. Similarly for leaky injector. Mass flow changes.

Change your vacuum lines, or at least check them very carefully.

When I cleaned my manifold I was careful to use new gaskets exactly so I would not have to worry about boost leaks.

Vacuum leaks for the actuator to switch between turbos will result in lag and boost "at the wrong time", which *might* cause a problem like you see.

Use a stopwatch and vacuum guage to check the vacuum system at shut off. Does the line to the turbo actuator take less than 10 seconds to come up to atmospheric? If so, check the lines again and again.

Also check the not-so-obvious. That vacuum manifold/fitting under the intake has different sized ports. (IIRC 0.8 mm and 0.5 mm) The tubes have to go back in the same order as they came off.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 06:32 PM   #5
dr_dirtg
Private First Class
Rep

Well, I have an update...

I hooked up INPA, cleared the codes with that, went for a spin and no more issues...

Car pulls strong, boost builds up to 28psi...

Will put JBD back on in a couple of days.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 02:54 PM   #6
dr_dirtg
Private First Class
Rep

Well, looks like this issue has not been resolved.

I now get boost to build up sometimes to 25psi, sometimes only 15psi, there isn't anything I do differently, I just stomp on it. And if I keep the pedal pushed down for what seems to be 2 or 3 seconds the engine does go in limp mode.

I would like to fix this so I can put my jbd back in, and I was hoping to take it take it to jarek and get his software and urea removal done.

I have ordered one boost actuator to see if that is causing issues. I wont have it for atleast another week though.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 09:47 PM   #7
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M-Sport

Check your vacuum routing for any leaks.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2015, 10:02 AM   #8
dr_dirtg
Private First Class
Rep

car threw a engine light, after a week of driving it went away on it's own, and i finally got time to dig, so i'll be going thru all vacuum lines starting in the next 5min.

these are the codes inpa read:

4b81 abgasruckfuhrraten regelung, regelabweichung
p0402 abgasruckfuhrung zu hoher durchsatz erkannt

4687 Drosselklappensteller
p0638 bereichs oder leistungsproblem

4679 Einspritzmengen uber wachung
p323F Steuergerate uber wachung kraftstoffvolumen - luftmasse / lambda - eingespritztes kraftstoffvolmen korrelations fehler

English google translation:

4b81 exhaust jerk drove rate control, control deviation
p0402 exhaust gas recirculation to high throughput recognized

4687 Throttle
p0638 range or performance issue

4679 injection quantities via monitoring
p323F control units about monitoring fuel volume - air mass / lambda - injected fuel volume correlation error
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2015, 09:50 PM   #9
Xtremektm
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Do adaptation on flaps, egr and pump
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 11:36 PM   #10
dr_dirtg
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtremektm View Post
Do adaptation on flaps, egr and pump
Ok, so I have good news, but I think I have a few problems in total.

I found the problem, it was a dirty maf. And how did it get dirty, well, the air filter deteriorated, it was a "Pipercross" which I bought off ecs tuning. I only had it about 1 year, and it literally fell.apart and bits and pieces of it got all over the maf, and which worries me most, it probably got burned and "processed" in the dpf. Could this have cause issues to the dpf?

So since I cleaned the maf and put it back together, the engine runs fine, its.smooth and boost holds without ever going into limp. Except, I have a new issue, boost doesnt build up to 30psi anymore, and the switch between turbos is now slow.and noticeable on boost guage pointer movement.

I have since purchased the turbo switchover valve, and a vacuum valve. But im not sure which turbo switchover valve to swap out?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2015, 01:59 AM   #11
Ti317
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

There is an S.I.B. out about the need for a software update after major engine work. If you have access to a dealer, you may want to go talk to a service advisor there. I have my paperwork filed away but if you need the S.I.B. number, let me know and I'll look it up tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2015, 10:11 AM   #12
dr_dirtg
Private First Class
Rep

I had the car at the dealer for recall of the scr tank this past january, they didnt mention of updating software, but maybe it was done?
Its different in canada too, the recall was a voluntary recall, only if owner insisted or if it broke, in mine the heater circuit broke.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2015, 08:58 PM   #13
dr_dirtg
Private First Class
Rep

I swapped out the two valves I bought, I swapped the vacuum one and the big turbo actuating valve. I also replaced a bunch of vac lines, all the ones at the valves and right side of motor since some did feel hard and brittle.
I have full boost now.
I think I will.buy the small turbo valve and just replace it as a preventative maint. Item.
Appreciate 0