E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > Just bought an e90 2006 bmw 325i! Suggestions on mods?

02-24-2014, 02:21 PM   #1
alexm325
Rep
Drives: 2006 bmw 325I

Just bought an e90 2006 bmw 325i! Suggestions on mods?

Hi everyone,

I recently just purchased my first ever car, a 2006 BMW 325I and I love it. As I just turned 18, I didn't want an m3 yet, plus they are quite expensive!

Anyways I really want to add some features to this car; ex; grill, lights, maybe some interior, etc. I honestly do not know where to start nor know where to buy these accessories from. Does anyone know a good website/dealer I could get pieces for my car from? I currently live near the Miami area in Florida. I REALLY want my car to look like an M3.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 02:27 PM   #2
Fortyb
M-GAM3
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO M3

here.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=53
      02-24-2014, 02:58 PM   #3
SgtGoldy
SuperFastYo
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 335i TiAg

C63 AMG
- LSD - Straight Pipe - EuroCharge v5 - Vossen CV7 -
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 04:07 PM   #4
silver07335i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i titanium silver metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexm325 View Post
I REALLY want my car to look like an M3.
Congrats on your new purchase! I would suggest saving the money that you would spend on modding your 325i to look like an m3 into a savings account to purchase an actual m3. In the end it's your money, so do whatever makes you happy. You may be considered a poser by some though...

Car: 2007 e90 335i 6MT - sports, premium, cold weather, light, and smoker's package. Performance Mods: Cobb AP v3, ETS 7" FMIC, Injen DCI, Michelin PSS, CDV delete, rear spoiler, BMW PE w/ Magnaflow tips, PTF pro-tune, VRSF downpipes, ER chargepipe w/ Tial Q, APEX 18" EC-7 wheels, MP outlet/ inlet, MMP Stg. 3 turbos. Other mods: BMW cargo liner, 20% window tint, BMW alarm system, Weathertech floorliner, Lux E90 V6 bulbs, Philips X-treme Vision H7 bulbs, Blackvue DR650GW-2CH.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 04:38 PM   #5
SgtGoldy
SuperFastYo
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 335i TiAg

I didnt even realize thats what he said. Dude... don't. You dont own a M3... You don't own a car close to the power a M3 has. Its like dressing a civic up to look like a nsx.

C63 AMG
- LSD - Straight Pipe - EuroCharge v5 - Vossen CV7 -
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 04:45 PM   #6
StogieScotch
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 335i xDrive TitSilv/Dakota

I agree, don't try to make it look like an M3. Mods are expensive and have high depreciation. You've purchased a great vehicle with it's own set of skin and bones. Dress it up for what it is if you like to, but if I were you and 18years old again, I would save that money by putting in a low risk investment. Then in a few years, look towards getting into an M car if the money is right.

I'm only 24 but I've been through a plethora of cars because I was always moving on to the next thing that caught my eye. Only recently after getting my first good job, buying a house and becoming engaged have I been able to look back and see how I would have been much better off holding on to things longer and saving the money instead of constantly upgrading, modding, and trading cars (you'll almost always take a larger loss than you realize until a few days after).

Not trying to preach, just sharing my experiences and perspective.

Congrats on the 325 and get some pics up here!
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 11:32 PM   #7
LocDawgg
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW e90

I also have a 06 BMW 325i. The first thing i recommend is hold off on the modifications. If its 06 im sure it has over 50k miles. if it has CPO warranty then great if not prepare yourself. i bought my car used as well and i highly recommend you do the maintenance FIRST! Ill keep it clear and add notes for you.

Oil Change first (5w-30 oil i recommend mobile 1 or castrol )
Oil Filter ( i recommend mann oil filter)
Brake pad change
Brake Fluid Flush
Check battery.
Transmission Flush
Change any cabin air filter.
Change intake air filter (unless you plan on buying an aftermarket intake)
Spark Plugs (should be close to need changing around 60-70k)

MOST IMPORTANTLY:
These cars have the infamous water pump/thermostat failures that will cause your car to overheat. Almost every pre-lci model experiences this, you can look it up if you'd like.

Replace Water Pump & thermostat even if it still is currently good because eventually it will blow. Mine failed just under 50k ive seen other members on here who has lasted longer and even shorter.

Some problems you might run into:

1. SZL (steering angle sensor problem) this causes a yellow triangle with an exclamation point. This will cause your cruise control to fail, DSC/DTC to fail and turn signals wont go automatically off when you use them.

2. Door lock failure - doors fail to lock.

3. Tensioner for Serpentine Belt my fail causing a loose belt. - the A/C might stop working, alternator will stop and the car will run on the electricity of the battery. Battery icon should pop up

All i can think of currently.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 07:26 AM   #8
Mike.
Mike: Everyone's Pal
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW 335xi  [10.00]
after the maintenance stop by the NA forum...we will guide you

Alpine MSS Stage 2+ E30 tune|MST Intakes|VRSF Single Mid Pipe|Agency Power Intercooler|VTT Full solution crank hub fix
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 09:31 PM   #9
BOOSTLEE
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i, Ducati 996

Quote:
I REALLY want my car to look like an M3.
look here
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=666756
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 08:36 AM   #10
xxxjecxxx
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M sport

Garage List
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Hi everyone,

I recently just purchased my first ever car, a 2006 BMW 325I and I love it. As I just turned 18, I didn't want an m3 yet, plus they are quite expensive!

Anyways I really want to add some features to this car; ex; grill, lights, maybe some interior, etc. I honestly do not know where to start nor know where to buy these accessories from. Does anyone know a good website/dealer I could get pieces for my car from? I currently live near the Miami area in Florida. I REALLY want my car to look like an M3.
Here is mine

I have a 2006 325i. Here is what I would recommend for cosmetic mods (staying away from looking like an M3). There is not a lot worth doing for performance so most mods are cosmetic.

1) LCI or Pre-LCI Euro Xenons (the corners are clear). Here is a picture of the pre-lci euro xenons

2) M sport steering wheel (the airbag will have to be changed) before and after pictures

3) LCI rear light conversion (the trunk will have to be changed)
4) Black grills
5) springs to lower the car
6) Wheels. A lot of OEM wheels look better than aftermarket.

Like mentioned above, do maintenance first, then move on to mods. Check for leaks here. Also recommend doing a coolant flush (it's cheap).

And the area were the ratchet is.

Welcome to the BMW world. Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 04:55 PM   #11
mammothboarderdc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328i Sport

wow i can't believe this generation is already 8 years old! just keep an eye on that water pump enjoy it, its a fun car.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 07:29 AM   #12
alexm325
Rep

Guys i do appreciate the help! I'm silly and I now understand why it shouldn't be dressed as something it's not... no one likes that. I guess you can say I love BMW's to much haha. Anyways, my car is currently at 80,153 miles, should I worry at any point? I don't drive far.. i live in the city (sort of) and work is only 5 minutes away and that's usually the farthest I go. My friends all live close to me and other than that, I rarely drive far.

Any suggestions? I have not had my car for long and I always hear that the 06 325i is a great car, and then I hear a lot of (oh shit, no warranty? your fucked). Is all of this true?
I mean come on... my sister has a 2000 honda civic with 129k miles and she's changed one small thing on the car in a year...

Should I be worried about the costs of this car, or am I just over thinking this? I will be the guy to do every maintenance check up on time etc, I'm not lazy, I don't want my car going to waste when i just recently bought it ya know...
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 10:02 AM   #13
XM_Rocks
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 GTI, sold my E90 N54

Your car is the Camry of BMW's... so very reliable if you keep up on your maintenance.

With your driving habits try to get in a few longer drives to bring the car up to full temp... or just change your oil sooner.

You can also do Blackstone Oil Analysis to find the sweet spot.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 10:09 AM   #14
najin23
Private
Rep
Drives: e92 n54 LSD....

Garage List
2007 335i e92  [0.00]
n52 engines should be pretty reliable as long as you maintain. Save your money, cuz I think it's worthless modding n52 if there's any. Consider owning e46 m3 or e90/92 m3 if feasible as a second car only if you are into m3s.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 10:44 AM   #15
alexm325
Rep

Alright guys cool. Yeah, I don't plan on modding my car really. I just want it to be reliable and not have it break down and pay a shit ton...

I baby this car and drive it smoothly, so that being said, with it also having 80,000 miles, when should I worry about the car acting up? I've heard the 120k mark, is this true, or could it be sooner?

My last question is, as long as I keep maintenance good and drive it smoothly, will it be more reliable than most cars? examples include: honda, nissan, ford
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 01:59 PM   #16
Stonyo
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI 335i Xdrive

Quote:
Alright guys cool. Yeah, I don't plan on modding my car really. I just want it to be reliable and not have it break down and pay a shit ton...

I baby this car and drive it smoothly, so that being said, with it also having 80,000 miles, when should I worry about the car acting up? I've heard the 120k mark, is this true, or could it be sooner?

My last question is, as long as I keep maintenance good and drive it smoothly, will it be more reliable than most cars? examples include: honda, nissan, ford

Good, don't mod it. Second, I think the 120k mark is something of a concern for 335i models that have turbos and other "finicky nannies" that could cause a problem; not so much for your 325. However, be aware that 120k miles is a lot for any car really and you should expect to encounter some issues, hopefully they aren't seriously debilitating.

As for reliability, brands such as Honda, nissan and ford, are all generally pretty reliable, more so than what a BMW at that age ('06) can be. Subaru is also right at the top when it comes to reliability.

Good luck with the car. Save your money and treat it nicely.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 09:26 PM   #17
FONZIMACBOOKPRO
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325I ALPINE WHITE

Garage List
2006 bmw 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocDawgg
I also have a 06 BMW 325i. The first thing i recommend is hold off on the modifications. If its 06 im sure it has over 50k miles. if it has CPO warranty then great if not prepare yourself. i bought my car used as well and i highly recommend you do the maintenance FIRST! Ill keep it clear and add notes for you.

Oil Change first (5w-30 oil i recommend mobile 1 or castrol )
Oil Filter ( i recommend mann oil filter)
Brake pad change
Brake Fluid Flush
Check battery.
Transmission Flush
Change any cabin air filter.
Change intake air filter (unless you plan on buying an aftermarket intake)
Spark Plugs (should be close to need changing around 60-70k)

MOST IMPORTANTLY:
These cars have the infamous water pump/thermostat failures that will cause your car to overheat. Almost every pre-lci model experiences this, you can look it up if you'd like.

Replace Water Pump & thermostat even if it still is currently good because eventually it will blow. Mine failed just under 50k ive seen other members on here who has lasted longer and even shorter.

Some problems you might run into:

1. SZL (steering angle sensor problem) this causes a yellow triangle with an exclamation point. This will cause your cruise control to fail, DSC/DTC to fail and turn signals wont go automatically off when you use them.

2. Door lock failure - doors fail to lock.

3. Tensioner for Serpentine Belt my fail causing a loose belt. - the A/C might stop working, alternator will stop and the car will run on the electricity of the battery. Battery icon should pop up

All i can think of currently.
I got a 325i 2006 103k Yeah you named pretty much everything I did thank god my doors still lock.. i just got a new thermostat and electric water pump car was over heating 900 my AC is close to its death but it runs like new due to keeping up with it.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 10:04 PM   #18
Andrew5
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Alpine White

I had an injen intake and a muffler delete on my old 325 and it sounded pretty nice, check it out
H&R Sport Springs, Depot Headlights and Tail lights
LCI Front Bumper and Hood
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2014, 09:41 PM   #19
snaimpally
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i MT

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
In this forum, there is a marketplace section where forum vendors offer cosmetic as well as non-cosmetic parts for BMWs. I suggest you review their offerings, check out their websites, and support them. Their sponsorship allows us to have this great forum, they are known to be reliable, their parts will fit etc. better than buying from an unknown seller.

Personally, I am more into performance changes rather than exterior changes, but whatever floats your boat. However, I suggest that rather than trying to make your car an M3 replica in appearance, customize it and make it YOURS. Make it as unique as you are.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 02:05 AM   #20
ARosee90
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxjecxxx View Post
Here is mine

I have a 2006 325i. Here is what I would recommend for cosmetic mods (staying away from looking like an M3). There is not a lot worth doing for performance so most mods are cosmetic.

1) LCI or Pre-LCI Euro Xenons (the corners are clear). Here is a picture of the pre-lci euro xenons

2) M sport steering wheel (the airbag will have to be changed) before and after pictures

3) LCI rear light conversion (the trunk will have to be changed)
4) Black grills
5) springs to lower the car
6) Wheels. A lot of OEM wheels look better than aftermarket.

Like mentioned above, do maintenance first, then move on to mods. Check for leaks here. Also recommend doing a coolant flush (it's cheap).

And the area were the ratchet is.

Welcome to the BMW world. Hope this helps.
Does that wheels paddle shifters actually work? Jw l
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 02:14 AM   #21
ARosee90
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 328xi

Quote:
Hi everyone,

I wanted to make my car look like an m3 as well at first, but it's not worth it since it isn't an M in the first place. So I'm doing a few tasteful mods instead thatll give it more of an aggressive look without being an m poster lol

So far I've done gloss black grills, black reflectors, both from **********s
A painted boot kid from carid
And a europlate

I'm looking to get wheels, splitters and install an sub next!
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 08:12 AM   #22
xxxjecxxx
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M sport

Garage List
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARosee90 View Post