E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Official cigar thread

06-15-2010, 02:47 AM   #1
radix
you know he kills little girls like you
No_Country
Rep
Drives: -

Official cigar thread

I don't know if there are any cigar buffs here on the forums. Today I had to say goodbye to some suspect old friends. After a careful inspection of this humidor (a Prometheus):

Name:  IMG_20100615_022246.jpg
Views: 3284
Size:  178.2 KB

I found several bad apples.

Name:  IMG_20100615_022531.jpg
Views: 3077
Size:  171.6 KB

Despite my best efforts, I must have been remiss as they all developed relatively minute, but still worrisome amounts of mold. I've purchased a replacement hygrometer as I'm certain that I've maintained the proper temperature and humidity. In all, three of my Trinidad Fundadores,

http://www.cigars-review.org/Trinidad-Fundadores.htm

two of my Por Larranaga Petite Coronas:

http://www.cigars-review.org/Por-Lar...it-Coronas.htm

and one Partagas Serie D No. 4

http://www.cigars-review.org/Flor-de...rie-D-No-4.htm

bit the dust today. I'm going to really miss the Trinidads.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2010, 02:51 AM   #2
radix
No_Country
Rep

Anyhow, I figured we could start an official cigar thread since we don't seem to have one. FWIW, I've got some Trinidad Robusto Extras on the way to console me for my loss. Although I've given plenty of advice on spotting fake Habanos on this forum before, when my next box arrives, I might post a quick tutorial here with photos.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2010, 02:53 AM   #3
Dan in PA
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Garage List
How do you know you're getting genuine Cuban cigars? I don't doubt that yours are real, I'm just curious.

Edit: You beat me to it.
      06-15-2010, 02:58 AM   #4
radix
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in PA View Post
How do you know you're getting genuine Cuban cigars? I don't doubt that yours are real, I'm just curious.

Edit: You beat me to it.
There are several ways. The first is buying from a known good vendor who is an authorized dealer for Habanos SA. The second method is be careful inspection of the packaging, this gets pretty detailed, but more on that later. Third would be observation of the presentation. Last would be an inspection of the bands and the cigars themselves. I personally don't buy from vendors that deband, but there are some legitimate ones that do nevertheless.

For the record, I'm not going to discuss sources in this thread, nor should anyone else.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2010, 03:01 AM   #5
Dan in PA
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by radix View Post
There are several ways. The first is buying from a known good vendor who is a friend of Habanos SA. The second method is be careful inspection of the packaging, this gets pretty detailed, but more on that later. Third would be observation of the presentation. Last would be an inspection of the bands and the cigars themselves. I personally don't buy from vendors that deband, but there are some legitimate ones that do nevertheless.

For the record, I'm not going to discuss sources in this thread, nor should anyone else.

Interesting. I live close to Cigars International, their retail location is very nice. The entire store is a humidor and the smell is just delicious.

I know very little about cigars and no longer consume tobacco or alcohol, but they're still an interesting topic.
      06-15-2010, 03:03 AM   #6
kaykay
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP

Garage List
The difference between a Cuban and a Dominican cigar is night and day. You can tell the moment you light up.

Montecristo No. 3 is my top cigar, not too heavy, just nice. Can't go wrong with a Cohiba Piramides Millenium. My father loves Partagas, they're very nice. Some of their limited or special cigars are fantastic. Romeo y Julieta's belong in the humidor as well.

Haven't order cigars, usually pick them up from the airport or cigar shops while abroad.
'08 550i M-Sport, Carbon Black (Gone but not forgotten), '06 W211 E55 AMG (Gone, miss this animal),'01 E39 540i Sport
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2010, 03:05 AM   #7
radix
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in PA View Post
Interesting. I live close to Cigars International, their retail location is very nice. The entire store is a humidor and the smell is just delicious.

I know very little about cigars and no longer consume tobacco or alcohol, but they're still an interesting topic.
Of course they won't have habanos, at least not in the walk-in humidor, but that doesn't mean that you can't enjoy a good Padron or Fuente now and again.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2010, 03:08 AM   #8
radix
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
The difference between a Cuban and a Dominican cigar is night and day. You can tell the moment you light up.

Montecristo No. 3 is my top cigar, not too heavy, just nice. Can't go wrong with a Cohiba Piramides Millenium. My father loves Partagas, they're very nice. Some of their limited or special cigars are fantastic. Romeo y Julieta's belong in the humidor as well.

Haven't order cigars, usually pick them up from the airport or cigar shops while abroad.
Never tried the No 3's to be frank, I'll have to give em a shot. I still have a few Edmundo's and several No 4's as well. The Edmundo's are pretty good, but not as good as the Serie D's IMO. The No 4's are a decent giveaway or daily smoker. PLPCs give you more for the price though IMO.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2010, 06:11 AM   #9
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

There is a cigar shop by my place and EVERY day ALL day from morning until night the lot is full of Mercedes and such. I may be in the wrong bizzness.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2010, 07:59 AM   #10
Feyd
Major
Rep
Drives: a DEEZZULL

MMmm... I like cigars.

OP you should check out Bodeva humidipaks.... I was skeptic, but I've been using them for over a year now and they work wonders, and there is very little/no chance of mold.

I really like dunhills... just something about that connecticut wrapper that makes them so good.

I've only got one Cuban at the moment (Cohiba) that I actually got from Wolfgang Puck ironically... but I'm waiting for a special occasion before I tear into that one.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2010, 08:16 AM   #11
2000gsr
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4

I'm onto the Romeo & Julietta no#2 right now.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2010, 10:37 AM   #12
OEMconcept
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000gsr View Post
I'm onto the Romeo & Julietta no#2 right now.
+1 best bang for the buck IMO
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2010, 11:38 AM   #13
PsychoSlug
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Big fan of Rocky Patel's Vintage 1999. I haven't tried any of his others, but plan on it.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2010, 01:50 PM   #14
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
Have very casually smoked cigars before, Montecristo was my favorite, not too expensive or heavy. I always see ads for Davidoff...what's the word on those?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2010, 02:30 PM   #15
Feyd
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTM View Post
Davidoff...what's the word on those?
They aren't bad, but in my experience they are pretty expensive. There are better smokes for that kind of money IMO. $18-$30 a stick kind of takes the fun out of it. LOL..
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2010, 02:35 PM   #16
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feyd View Post
They aren't bad, but in my experience they are pretty expensive. There are better smokes for that kind of money IMO. $18-$30 a stick kind of takes the fun out of it. LOL..
Haha wasn't aware they were that expensive...hard for me to spend that much on cigars...I like drinking much better than smoking, I'll just save it for my scotch budget
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2010, 02:43 PM   #17
Feyd
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTM View Post
Haha wasn't aware they were that expensive...hard for me to spend that much on cigars...I like drinking much better than smoking, I'll just save it for my scotch budget
They do have some less expensive ones, but they are a really small gauge.... Trust me, you don't want to be caught in public smoking a cigar the size of a #2 pencil.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2010, 03:21 PM   #18
Lagger1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: valvetronic engaged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feyd View Post
They do have some less expensive ones, but they are a really small gauge.... Trust me, you don't want to be caught in public smoking a cigar the size of a #2 pencil.
why not?!? I do all the time (well not that real skinny shit I think you're talking about). The minitaures are more convienent about 90% of the time when you dont have an hour & a half to burn having a stogie. Besides, CAO's little cameroons & maduros are not bad. Padron's always gonna be best bang for the buck. Patel's killing it with his line ups right now and I like La Flor Dominicana after it opened back up & Camacho.

Appreciate 0
      06-15-2010, 03:35 PM   #19
Feyd
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagger1 View Post
why not?!? I do all the time (well not that real skinny shit I think you're talking about). The minitaures are more convienent about 90% of the time when you dont have an hour & a half to burn having a stogie. Besides, CAO's little cameroons & maduros are not bad. Padron's always gonna be best bang for the buck. Patel's killing it with his line ups right now and I like La Flor Dominicana after it opened back up & Camacho.
I'm 6'3" @ ~255lbs, and built like a brick shit-house..... they look a bit "diminuative" when I smoke them.

Also, I only smoke cigars when I have the time to enjoy them completely. Outdoor party/golfing, etc. If I needed/wanted to smoke more frequently maybe my story would be different, but I don't so it isn't.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2010, 04:05 PM   #20
Lagger1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: valvetronic engaged

Damn dog, and you drive a 135?!? But yeah, smoking stoges that small, people think you be smoking blunts

but yeah, kidding aside, I feel ya on the occassional front. Definately good to keep to minimum. On a side note, I like enjoying my cigars rolling thru a Vegas lobby or after a good Mortons/Mastros steak & bottle of wine.

Appreciate 0
      06-15-2010, 04:23 PM   #21
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Crap, what a disappointment this thread is... I was expecting Monica Lewinsky noodz....
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2010, 04:29 PM   #22
Feyd
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagger1 View Post
Damn dog, and you drive a 135?!?
Yep, and quite comfortably. I actually used to own a Z4 before the 135. It's important to note that I am far from "heavy-set" just kind of wide... Shoulder clearance has always been my issue.
Appreciate 0