E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > My short-lived BMW ecstasy

07-07-2013, 09:17 PM   #45
Supreme214
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Why dont you get used lexus is350 or gs350? I've had is350 before my 335i and its was pretty fun to drive and meets your criteria
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2013, 09:32 PM   #46
krhodes1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Wagon

Garage List
2011 128i  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i Touring  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentOSU View Post
Pretty sure CPO doesn't cover free brakes...? It's a wear item. Also, I think just get the stuff fixed, do the preventative maintenance..it might be cheaper than hopping into a new vehicle. If you think BMW fixes are $$$, Lexus, Mercedes, etc will be just as expensive.
This. ALL premium vehicles are expensive to maintain. And the majority of issues the OP has had are just maintenance. The brakes on an Acura will be no cheaper. I think the main thing here is that the OP is freaking out at getting a warning. But they are just advisory warnings, not prophesies of impending doom. Cheaper cars don't tell you when the brakes need service, you know when you start hearing nasty grinding noises, or the brakes start shuddering.

And ultimately, you have to live within your budget, if you can only afford a $30K car, DON'T BUY A $30K USED CAR, you won't be able to afford to maintain it while making the payments. A depreciated $50K car is still a $50K car to fix, even if you only paid $25K for it. And extended warranties are a suckers bet.

'11 328! Touring - Tasman on Chestnut, 6spd manual, factory upside-down "i" option
'11 128i Convertible - Space Gray on Savannah Beige, 6spd manual,
also '14 Mercedes-Benz E350 wagon, '95 Land Rover Discovery, '74 Triumph Spitfire
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2013, 09:40 PM   #47
E90gone
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90

Why not get an Pontiac G8 GT? Still good on gas, 4-doors, has 300+HP, auto, RWD, cheaper to maintain then a BMW. And going to be a hella lot more fun to drive then most Jap cars.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2013, 09:44 PM   #48
tad
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328i

bummer on your problems

I leased a new 2007 328i; after the lease expired I purchased the car and currently have 106,000 miles. The car has essentially been problem free.
Only real expenses were tires. At about 100,000 miles I replaced the plugs and recently after 7 years of ownership had the brakes replaced.
My first non maintenance expense took place this week. There were leaks detected on the front end that required replacement of thrust rod bushings (whatever that is).
I guess I have been lucky but the entire ownership experience including of course the fabulous day to day driving has been outstanding.
Sorry you have not had the same luck
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2013, 10:10 PM   #49
newoldbeemer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 328i

Update

Hi all

Thanks for your replies! Yes, lesson learnt about staying in budget with a new car of that budget. Well we all have to learn our lessons, some of us learn it the hard way .

Yes, I am considering keeping the 335i as a daily driver, maybe I will rent when I go for trips > 100 miles. However, if I do tradein, I decided I'm not going to buy any German car unless its new. I could get another E90, but what's to say something won't fail on it?

If I do keep the 335i, any idea what kind of "inspection" I could ask an indy shop to do to keep my car in good health? I never saw any yellow or orange warnings when I start up the car, otherwise I'd have looked into them as soon as they appeared. There is no fan running for a long time. The HPFP was already replaced by the previous owner. My only "concering" thing is that low-speed grinding sound, which apparently is still a mystery for many people (some have it in their new 3 series or 5 series).

Anyway, I spent all day test driving potential tradein cars today (had to put that rental Altima to good use, lol!):

First, Subaru Legacy - the Subaru dealer didnt have a 3.0 Legacy but had a 2.5, anyway I test drove that. Wow! This has to be the best-feeling Japanese car I drove till now. It feels very bmw-like, great grip, we went up a small hill nearby to see the handling. Great car. I had only two gripes - the brakes are not that good, you need to predict early-on when you need to brake. Also, the seat is really small especially lacking thigh support (I am spoilt by the 335i's sport seats). Oh and the interior bits feel VERY cheap, but I can live with that. Its the seats that are the deal breaker. But I have to say I was WOWed by the way this car drives. Loved it!

Next - Mazda6 - I went in with great expectations especially from my Mazda3 experience. Well I have to say I am disappointed. The car still handles better and is more nimble than an Accord, but the Mazda steering feel is gone. Also, the engine feels.. let's say, it takes its own time. I was underwhelmed.

Third, I headed to the Acura showroom. While all the sales reps were too busy, I tried sitting in a TSX and didn't like the seats very much. Since it has the Accord's same inline 4 engine, I decided there's no point in doing a test drive if I don't like the seats to begin with. I've driven Accords quite a bit (several friends have them and I sometimes take the wheel on trips), so I know exactly what they feel like.

Then headed to BMW. Test drove both the X1 and the 320i. OMG what a lot of talking I had to do, to get the guy to give me two test drives! I almost had to persuade him! Only the fact that I already own a bimmer and got it from the same dealer, gave me some cred. I am quite sure, he wouldnt have given me a test drive if not for that. Where do these guys get their attitude from! For crying out loud, its BMW not Lamborghini!. The guy actually had the gall to say
"you cant buy it, your monthly payment will go up". Dude! You just do your job, tell me numbers, I will decide if I can afford it or not! He wouldn't go get the keys for a test drive till I made it clear I can afford it. I mean really?!

Anyway.. long story short, I liked the 320i more than the X1! I realized I take corners too fast to suit an SUV (even an "SAV") and it has to be a sedan for my style of driving. Ironically, I liked the F30's steering very much and it DOES feel BMW-like (sorry, I know many people disagree ). In fact, if the car had twin turbos I could easily forget I was in an F30 test drive and think its my 335i. It felt that good. I think this is the closest to what I am looking for! However, I could definitely feel the 60HP power difference between the X1 and the 320.

BUT.. there is a huge but! Apparently the thigh support seats come only with the sport package, and the dealer's inventory (very conveniently) only has sport package cars with tons of other packages, taking the price upward of 45k! Any idea if we can "order our own" cars? I think all I need is that sport seat.. and maybe nav. Without that sport seat, this car still comes closest to what I need compared to others I test drove, though.

Next, I headed to the VW showroom. I have driven GTIs before several times, but I wanted back-to-back impressions after the 320i. I expected the GTI to blow the 320i away, but actually it didn't (at least to me). It had its own typical GTI feel, but it "felt" less powerful than the 320i, less chuckable and the steering felt wooden after the 320i. My main gripe though, was the non-adjustable seat bolsters in the GTI. Also test drove the Jetta GLI, that one had better seats (they didn't grip so much). But driving impressions were pretty much the same. If anything (could be my imagination), the GLI felt more stable and less jittery than the GTI, on the freeway (maybe the longer wheelbase?).

I didn't test drive the G37 because I have already driven it, and it does suit my needs to a T. It is an amazing car, feels great, handles great! However, new it starts at 42k (there is no G25 anymore, alas). If I go the used-car direction with G37, any specific thing I need to watch out for? What kind of thing usually fails with G37 (if anything at all)?

So.. boils down to:
- 320i with sports package (if any dealer has such a car!) - will I sometime run into buyers remorse for being at the bottom end of the horsepower chain? This time it will be a 6 year loan for me, so there's no going back.

- 328i with no packages (horsepower-wise goodness, but can I live with the lack of extra thigh support?)

- GTI or Jetta GLI

- A used G37

Ideally, if there were a way to select only the exact packages I need, that would be good instead of "watching" the dealers inventories! Something like a stripper 328i with just the sports package and nav package. Or just the sports package. Anyone have luck configuring your own car?

Last edited by newoldbeemer; 07-07-2013 at 10:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2013, 11:45 PM   #50
TrentOSU
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11' AW e90 335i M-Sport

If you're worried about maintenance in the car and driving more than 100 miles, get the car fixed, put new brakes in it, and drive! If you're worried about stuff going out, you shouldn't have bought the car. I'm sorry but this is becoming redundant. If you're all of the sudden open to purchasing all these different brands of cars, then I don't think you're set on much. You need to find what you enjoy, and you enjoyed the 335 just cringe at the thought of replacing parts. You should have thought about that before buying the car.

I say install new brakes, drive the hell out of the car and have fun. I drove my 91' 325 over 1k miles one trip and the car was JUST FINE. I think your reading too much into this and haven't realized that when you buy a used car with an "as is" warranty, you take the hit when something happens to go wrong, when it eventually does. Preventative maintenance is the answer and doing what you can to keep it in top shape...if you don't replace the brakes and keep driving it, you're not doing a good job at it.

Keep the car..I'm on my second 335 and I'm more than happy. Do I need this car? No..I could have gotten a new 328 or 320 with what I wanted to spend but it's what I wanted ultimately.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 12:20 AM   #51
marosmith
Big Matty Wheels
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i, 01 ALLROAD

Don't "deal"with dealers, and if you think having to replace brakes is a big deal only a new car will make you happy. I'm sorry for your confusion.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 12:23 AM   #52
newoldbeemer
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If you're worried about maintenance in the car and driving more than 100 miles, get the car fixed, put new brakes in it, and drive! If you're worried about stuff going out, you shouldn't have bought the car. I'm sorry but this is becoming redundant. If you're all of the sudden open to purchasing all these different brands of cars, then I don't think you're set on much. You need to find what you enjoy, and you enjoyed the 335 just cringe at the thought of replacing parts. You should have thought about that before buying the car.

I say install new brakes, drive the hell out of the car and have fun. I drove my 91' 325 over 1k miles one trip and the car was JUST FINE. I think your reading too much into this and haven't realized that when you buy a used car with an "as is" warranty, you take the hit when something happens to go wrong, when it eventually does. Preventative maintenance is the answer and doing what you can to keep it in top shape...if you don't replace the brakes and keep driving it, you're not doing a good job at it.

Keep the car..I'm on my second 335 and I'm more than happy. Do I need this car? No..I could have gotten a new 328 or 320 with what I wanted to spend but it's what I wanted ultimately.
Thanks TrentOSU. Since you mentioned this is getting redundant - I think I should try to articulate my major point more clearly (my bad) - I do NOT cringe at the thought of changing parts or spending time and $$ on it. I dont think I indicated that at all, but I apologize if I indicated so.

What I do cringe at, is the fact that the car or dealer or shop does not tell me that something needs to be changed, what exactly "maintain it" means! Every single time, I find out AFTER the fact, and no, there is no orange or yellow warning lights every time I start it!

Changing the car is a huge financial hit for me (depreciation plus sales tax on both transactions). If this was about $$, I wouldn't even consider it. This isn't about $$ so much. This is about THINKING the car is good to go, and then finding out - one by one - when things fail, when family or friends are in the car and I am on a highway.

Am I missing something obvious? I mean, tomorrow all I know is that the front brakes are good now. I have absolutely no idea what else is going on with the car. Right? Would you take this particular car on a long drive with family?
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 12:26 AM   #53
TrentOSU
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Get the brakes fixed, maintain the car, and enjoy it. Don't deal with that dealership...move on to an independent Bavarian shop who knows what they are doing. Most of the ones I've dealt with are honest and helpful, especially if some dealership is screwing with you.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 12:40 AM   #54
newoldbeemer
Major
United_States
Rep

Would you recommend any other things to check for? I think I am good with brakes now, and the cooling system. HPFP was replaced by the other previous owner. I have tread left on the tyres. I plan to check wheel alignment just because I've never checked it. The dealer mention I'm good w.r.t engine oil. I'm good with steering fluid too.

Anything else you would check as part of preventive maintenance, if you had this car? What exactly would you say to the Indy shop? (like "check this" or "check that")

Once again, thanks for taking the time to read my replies and providing your opinion. I highly value and appreciate it.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 12:48 AM   #55
TrentOSU
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by newoldbeemer
Would you recommend any other things to check for? I think I am good with brakes now, and the cooling system. HPFP was replaced by the other previous owner. I have tread left on the tyres. I plan to check wheel alignment just because I've never checked it. The dealer mention I'm good w.r.t engine oil.

Anything else you would check as part of preventive maintenance, if you had this car? What exactly would you say to the Indy shop? (like "check this" or "check that")

Once again, thanks for taking the time to read my replies and providing your opinion. I highly value and appreciate it.
Fazman told me a good thing, Firestone offers a $200 lifetime wheel allignment plan...I'm doing that tomorrow for my new 335. I would have an Indy shop pull codes, go through it, check wear, and just clear everything. Sounds like you're okay other than that brake issue.

I have friends who have been where you're at, cars are not ever perfect, stuff can always go wrong and you can never predict it. Some stuck with their rides, and some sold them. My friends who have kept their BMW's and did the maintenance, still have their cars. They love them and they are solid, reliable cars if you put love and effort into them ($$$ too ). Good luck and I truly hope things work for you.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 12:50 AM   #56
newoldbeemer
Major
United_States
Rep

Thanks . You're getting a new 335i? Congrats!
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 12:53 AM   #57
TrentOSU
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by newoldbeemer
Thanks . You're getting a new 335i? Congrats!
I just purchased a 'new-to-me' 11' E90 335 with 12k miles. It's a great car...my last was a 2008 E92 335. Since your car isn't under CPO/Manu. Warranty, for most things that the extended doesn't cover, go to an Independent shop and have them do everything, you'll save lots of $$.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 04:05 AM   #58
e90post_user
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

2013 320i has a twin power turbo technology (single turbo). If the new car is out of the question, your best bet is a previously owned G37; if you can find it with an "s" trim it will offer nice sports seats. However, as with any used car purchase you should take it to a reputable mechanic for a PPI before you commit to sign the dotted line - if you don't know any in your area you can always ask in the forums for a given model, and do an Internet research at your leisure.
Whatever you decide, good luck!
      07-08-2013, 07:11 AM   #59
Built My Way
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: ...when not replacing gaskets

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by newoldbeemer View Post
Thanks TrentOSU. Since you mentioned this is getting redundant - I think I should try to articulate my major point more clearly (my bad) - I do NOT cringe at the thought of changing parts or spending time and $$ on it. I dont think I indicated that at all, but I apologize if I indicated so.

What I do cringe at, is the fact that the car or dealer or shop does not tell me that something needs to be changed, what exactly "maintain it" means! Every single time, I find out AFTER the fact, and no, there is no orange or yellow warning lights every time I start it!

Changing the car is a huge financial hit for me (depreciation plus sales tax on both transactions). If this was about $$, I wouldn't even consider it. This isn't about $$ so much. This is about THINKING the car is good to go, and then finding out - one by one - when things fail, when family or friends are in the car and I am on a highway.

Am I missing something obvious? I mean, tomorrow all I know is that the front brakes are good now. I have absolutely no idea what else is going on with the car. Right? Would you take this particular car on a long drive with family?
Your post was very clear and there's no need to apologize to members who have misread or can't comprehend what you've written.

I would recommend that you hold onto your 335 for a bit and do some extra online research about the various issues and take preventive measures to get your vehicle "long journey" worthy. (HPFP status, water pump and thermostat replacement, oil filter housing gasket replacement, spark plugs, ignition coils, tire condition). Also, If you have the time, try some small maintenance stuff to become accustomed to what's going on under the hood. Change the air filters, check your coolant level. Listen to your engine. Know what you're driving, know what can go wrong and don't be afraid to ask questions.

There's nothing I've ever driven that comes close to the feeling of freedom of my e90 on the open highway.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 08:41 AM   #60
Potty_Pants
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Genesis Sedan Rspec

After 3 pages of messages... I'm surprised Hyundai wasn't even mentioned.

you can find a Genesis V6 for around 29-30K, decent options, rear wheel drive, decent performance, reliable. Not a sporty car to drive but a good quality one.

I dumped my E90 knowing it would rape me. Just not worth it to keep it.

good luck !

ppp
Olds Starfire > Chevy Malibu > Isuzu I-mark RS & Honda Magna 500 > Grand Am GT & YSR50 > Nissan Maxima & Ninja 750 > X-Wife > Hyundai Excel > Honda Prelude > Honda Accord > Honda Prelude & Ninja 250> Infiniti G35 > E90 335i > Hyundai Genesis Rspec, Hyunadai Sonata > Kia Sorento > Honda CRV-EX
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 09:03 AM   #61
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

Quote:
Fazman told me a good thing, Firestone offers a $200 lifetime wheel allignment plan...I'm doing that tomorrow for my new 335.
This is worthless. Firestone doesn't know how to do alignment on european cars with dialed in toe etc. I tried, I cried.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 11:16 AM   #62
Mavus
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, F80 zcp

Quote:
Originally Posted by newoldbeemer View Post
Would you recommend any other things to check for? I think I am good with brakes now, and the cooling system. HPFP was replaced by the other previous owner. I have tread left on the tyres. I plan to check wheel alignment just because I've never checked it. The dealer mention I'm good w.r.t engine oil. I'm good with steering fluid too.

Keep your 335 for now but have Indy pull codes (if any) and check the overall condition. This is called preventive maintenance.

Also, keep a can of Castrol Euro Synthetic oil in the trunk at all times. Most likely you will need to add oil after 4K or so mi, depends on driving and engine condition. Open the hood and learn as much as you can about engine and various liquid tanks, i.e. windshield, brake fluids.

Just as any car, issues can come up and you will sort them out but there is no point being paranoid. Make sure you read the manual. Learn what this car has and review the recommended maint schedule. If you can, get maint records as far back as you can and share it with your Indy.

If you want to save a few $$ replace your RFT tires with standard when you are due. Get a can of Slime tire repair kit and put it in the trunk just in case since we don't have spare tire.

The more you learn about the car the more comfortable you are going to be with it. It is a very nice vehicle but it does need a bit more attention than Honda Accord. That's the price we pay for having fun driving them.

One last thing, make sure you have 3K in savings just in case you need to replace/fix something major. If you bought a lemon you are covered by law. I would have Indy check it out completely.

GL !!
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 12:42 PM   #63
JAL0988
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i, 2022 X5 M50i

Sorry to hear that. Well unfortunately you have to pay to play. If you want reliability, you should go Japanese. I know they're not the most fun vehicles but unfortunately you can't have your cake and eat it too. It's been said many times on here:

Pick 2:

Cheap
Fast
Reliable
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 02:44 PM   #64
Thrakos
Audaces fortuna juvat
Canada
Rep
Drives: Black E90 328xi

WHEN I get rid of my BMW (which, I hope will be many years from now as mine has been trouble-free *knock-on-wood*), I will end up either with an Acura TL, Lexus or Volvo S60.

All those are reliable, comfortable and have great reviews.

For those of you who reply that he is supposed to accept that, please refrain from posting. NO ONE I know who buys a used luxury car expects to spend money on it within the first year - I know I don't. I expect a luxury vehicle to be reliable and working well - which is why one spends more money to begin with.

I (idiotically) traded in my 08 MDX for another SUV 1 1/2 years ago - that MDX never had an issue and still had the original brakes on it! BEST SUV I ever owned, but I was enticed by another and will regret that for years to come.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 04:57 PM   #65
Titanium3er
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i, '03 Kawa Z1000

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrakos
For those of you who reply that he is supposed to accept that, please refrain from posting. NO ONE I know who buys a used luxury car expects to spend money on it within the first year - I know I don't. I expect a luxury vehicle to be reliable and working well - which is why one spends more money to begin with.
You shouldn't "expect" anything based solely on assumptions; your assumption being that because the car is made by a "luxury" manufacturer it is going to be in perfect working order with no maintenance items due when you roll off the lot. Car dealers are in business to make a profit. While many care about their reputations, there will always be some who care more about the bottom line than customer satisfaction.

A car is a big purchase, even when you buy it used. Why not have an inspection performed by an Indy prior to purchase? The dealers job is to make money. Yours is to cover your a$$.

If you don't want to do your due diligence before buying something this expensive, I have a great bridge to sell you. It was built with very expensive materials so you clearly have nothing to worry about.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 07:23 PM   #66
redline2001
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBBTT View Post
Sorry to hear that. Well unfortunately you have to pay to play.
Pick 2:

Cheap
Fast
Reliable
I wish people will stop using this line. You pay to play with a M3 ,911, R8 ect not a damn 55k entry luxury car. If you except the unreliability of these cars because in your boyish dreams you think your driving some exotic you need a reality check.
Appreciate 0