E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > FRM Module... fried or not?

12-24-2012, 03:29 PM   #1
cbeers
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M235i xDrive

FRM Module... fried or not?

Is there a definitive way to tell if my FRM module is fried and needs replacing or if it just needs to be reset?

I've spent a few days now searching for a definite answer and I've only been able to piece together bits and pieces, but nothing to outright tell me if my FRM module is toast or not.

Recently, I had my drivers side AE's short out on me. A few months back I replaced the OEM bulbs with a set of LED's from BMS. But a few weeks ago, I had my car give me a bulb error out of the blue. Suspecting a short, I pulled out the LED from the drivers side and plugged it into the passenger side and sure enough the bulb was flickering like crazy.

I went ahead and swapped both LED bulbs for the OEM bulbs again, but that didn't resolve the issue, or the whole issue at least. Checked the fuses first, but everything was good to go there. Took a voltage meter to the AE wires and sure enough, no power going to them at all on the drivers side.

After some research, I figured out the FRM module will cut power if it suspects a short in the system. Great feature, I enjoy not having my car on fire. Dug a little deeper and found out it can be reset with an AutoLogic or you can actually do it manually, though that route seems a bit complicated and consuming.

Called up BMW and they say they'll do it for $65. Called up another shop in the area and told them what I stated above and they told me my FRM is most likely fried, which they stated is very common. Total cost from them was $500 with parts and labor.

I'm a very pessimistic person, so I feel like BMW may try to pull a fast one and "reset" the module and say it didn't work to get more money out of me. I also feel like the other shop in the area might be skipping that step outright and just saying the module is toast to start.

And this all leads me back to why I asked my original question. Is there a definitive way to tell if my FRM module is truly fried or if it just needs a simple reset?

If there isn't, could anyone recommend a shop in Chicago/ Northern suburbs that I can trust to not screw me out of money?

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2012, 05:55 PM   #2
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

That's weird. This happened to one car recently and all we did was code the module back to default and it worked instantly. Might want to find a local coder to see if resetting it back to default will solve your issues
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2012, 06:11 PM   #3
MrRager
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

only on a 2006 model will the FRM completely cut power to a bulb permanently and you not be able to get it back on. they changed it after this
      12-25-2012, 07:48 PM   #4
BoogeyMan'sBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
Bangladesh
Rep
Drives: SLOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRager View Post
only on a 2006 model will the FRM completely cut power to a bulb permanently and you not be able to get it back on. they changed it after this
so you mean to say that of you have this issue with a 2006, you cannot code the FRM to work again?
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 12:56 AM   #5
MrRager
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogeyMan'sBMW View Post
so you mean to say that of you have this issue with a 2006, you cannot code the FRM to work again?
sadly this is exactly what i mean. the only way to fix the issue is to replace the FRM.
      12-27-2012, 02:08 AM   #6
rich123321
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i E90

Garage List
2015 335i  [0.00]
The frm should Run around 150 eBay price plus you need to code it yourself or have someone else do it
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 02:02 PM   #7
cbeers
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M235i xDrive

And success...

Turns out it was just the short circuit code that needed to be cleared. The FRM was still in working order.

From what I've gathered after looking into all this, since I only had the 1 malfunctioning bulb and nothing else that the FRM controls (mirrors, windows, and other lighting) was malfunctioning the likelihood the FRM was fried was low. Had there been 2 or more things malfunctioning it would have probably been a good indicator that the FRM was a goner and needed to be replaced.

Had quite the argument with the dealer, though, trying to get them to reset it. They were quite insistant that I didn't know what I was talking about and that the only option was to replace the FRM. After standing my ground and demanding they actually listen to me, they reluctantly took it in back. Over an hour (and $62) later, turned out I was absolutely right.

I'm quite upset it took them over an hour to do something that shouldn't have taken more than 10 minutes and still pretty put off that they wouldn't listen to me in the first place. It goes without saying, but I probably won't be taking my car back to that dealer.

To think, BMW wanted $250 to replace the bulb originally and then would have wanted another $500+ to replace the FRM module. $750+ in total charges avoided by a simple reset instead.
Appreciate 0