E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Lowering, alignment, and BMW Service

10-25-2011, 01:14 PM   #1
aakrusen
To Punish and Enslave
Rep
Drives: with both hands on the wheel

Garage List
2008 M3 E92  [9.00]
Lowering, alignment, and BMW Service

I recently lowered my 335xi with the Eibach Pro Kit (2092.140) and I'm taking the car to BMW to get the alignment because the local shops (Les Schwab, Tirerama, Discount Tire) all say that they can't do it because of some special way the alignment needs to be done and BMW can only do it. I'm not sure if it's true but I don't have much choice.
My question is can the car's camber and toe settings be adjusted enough to accommodate the new lowered height? The front dropped .875" and the rear about .563"
Do I have to get some camber bolts or something like them?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2011, 03:07 PM   #2
tres
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bmw 335is 6MT

the only way you will have to take it to the dealer is if you have the active steering option. As for the lowering you should be good. I'm running -1.05 upfront and im not lowered and doing fine wear and handling wise. As far as the rear you are allowed -1.75. I would let the car settle for a few and then take it to the alignment shop. I did mine at pep boys with no issues and also took it to a tuner shop also. No difference only in price.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 07:07 PM   #3
BAL278
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 335xi JB

Quote:
Originally Posted by tres View Post
the only way you will have to take it to the dealer is if you have the active steering option. As for the lowering you should be good. I'm running -1.05 upfront and im not lowered and doing fine wear and handling wise. As far as the rear you are allowed -1.75. I would let the car settle for a few and then take it to the alignment shop. I did mine at pep boys with no issues and also took it to a tuner shop also. No difference only in price.

2008 335xi Jet Black//Coral Red
VTT Stage 1+// Procede V5//VRSF DPs//AMS FMIC//KW V1//M3 Sways & Sub Bushings// Alpina AT flash
Apex EC-7//Michelin PSS//Dinan CAI
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 07:29 PM   #4
MassBimmer
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 M50

Garage List
2009 BMW  [9.24]
It's useless to take it to the dealer because they'll just put it back to factory settings, which won't be correct now that you're lowered. Take it to a tuning/performance shop and they'll do it properly
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 08:19 PM   #5
mjlav3
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 E90 xDrive

final drop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aakrusen View Post
I recently lowered my 335xi with the Eibach Pro Kit (2092.140) and I'm taking the car to BMW to get the alignment because the local shops (Les Schwab, Tirerama, Discount Tire) all say that they can't do it because of some special way the alignment needs to be done and BMW can only do it. I'm not sure if it's true but I don't have much choice.
My question is can the car's camber and toe settings be adjusted enough to accommodate the new lowered height? The front dropped .875" and the rear about .563"
Do I have to get some camber bolts or something like them?
Was this the final drop after the bilstein sports? I am looking at the same setup with an '09 335i xDrive.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 09:51 PM   #6
aakrusen
To Punish and Enslave
Rep
Drives: with both hands on the wheel

Garage List
2008 M3 E92  [9.00]
I never purchased the Bilsteins (still want to) so I don't know if there would be a height difference with those struts vs the stock ones.

To answer my own question, the stock camber system was flexible enough to get me the camber I wanted. IDR but it's somewhere around -1f and -2r. I forget the toe settings.

In case any one is interested, here's the current height with the Eibach springs and stock struts with one year's worth of use. Measurements taken from the center of the wheel to the wheel well on the passenger side. 13.5"f and 13"r.

Also, those Eibachs are the springs for the RWD because the AWD Eibach springs were not aggressive enough for me.
Appreciate 0