E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Sat nav worth the extra?

04-18-2016, 11:52 AM   #45
_Ascension_
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i - Sophisto Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappers 71 View Post
You guys can do what you like with your phones/google maps, I'll just use the I-drive, sat nav, built in phone that BMW fitted to my car thanks.
Lol. Missed the point much? You were claiming it's illegal when it's been shown it's not.

Hardly beneficial to the thread starter is it?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 12:04 PM   #46
Chappers 71
Major General
Rep
Drives: Beige G31 40ix m sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension335i View Post
Lol. Missed the point much? You were claiming it's illegal when it's been shown it's not.

Hardly beneficial to the thread starter is it?
Ok smart arse, if a person was involved in a accident or stopped by the police & they happened to be using a phone as a sat nav I am pretty sure they would be prosecuted. If you had bothered to read the thread from the start you would have seen that I had said IMO yes it's worth getting a car with I-drive. Everything from then on I posted is just for fun & was started in response to the guy that said I-drive is gimmicky crap

Last edited by Chappers 71; 04-18-2016 at 12:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 12:09 PM   #47
holmefield
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330 d m sport

Right to those that CiC, IF i go ahead with the retro fit i was going to go for CiC with combox and USB interface.

Now from what i can gather/read up with the CiC/combox/USB interface i should be able to have Txt messages displayed on my wide screen ( i'd be after a pro screen is it 8.1" ) i could stream music from my phone and control the music from my steering wheel buttons, I.E forward back fast forward/rewind.

Get full phone book displayed on the big screen?

Could i get internet, or do you need to go full NBT for that?

Cheers
MODS lots of coding,Alcantara flat bottom wheel and trim,Led reg bulbs,Sapphire black interior trims,Carbon diffuser,DPF delete 276bhp,Carbon badges,Yellow B/calipers 19" BBS LM Alloys,Lowered spring perches.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 12:50 PM   #48
_Ascension_
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i - Sophisto Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappers 71 View Post
Ok smart arse, if a person was involved in a accident or stopped by the police & they happened to be using a phone as a sat nav I am pretty sure they would be prosecuted. If you had bothered to read the thread from the start you would have seen that I had said IMO yes it's worth getting a car with I-drive. Everything from then on I posted is just for fun & was started in response to the guy that said I-drive is gimmicky crap
Whatever mate, you were the one being a smart arse saying "I don't make the rules" and it was illegal.

I can see that you're going to be right even if you're wrong here, so I'm out.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 01:45 PM   #49
dest
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: LCI E91 320d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmefield View Post
Right to those that CiC, IF i go ahead with the retro fit i was going to go for CiC with combox and USB interface.

Now from what i can gather/read up with the CiC/combox/USB interface i should be able to have Txt messages displayed on my wide screen ( i'd be after a pro screen is it 8.1" ) i could stream music from my phone and control the music from my steering wheel buttons, I.E forward back fast forward/rewind.

Get full phone book displayed on the big screen?

Could i get internet, or do you need to go full NBT for that?

Cheers
Yes you can do all that, mine does. Internet and connected apps depends on your combox firmware, mine had to be flashed to get it working when it was installed.
Text messages on he screen are via Bluetooth, you have to set up something to do with notifications on your iPhone to get it to forward them. It will only show texts received since it connects to the car for that session, not older ones.
Yes you get full address book, recent calls etc.
Full iPod control with steering wheel controls to skip tracks and fast forward/rewind. You also get access to playlists, podcasts etc
Remember CIC has a built in 12gb or so drive which can store music on too either by connectiong to the USB in the glovebox or putting in a cd or DVD and it will copy them off it.
If the install has an emulator which most do, you also get DVD in motion too
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 01:50 PM   #50
holmefield
Captain
Rep

Cheers Dest...so sorry to pick your brains but is this all the right kit?

Combox with adapter plugs which cost £40 £180 delivered

Full DAB/CIC System with all connectors, USB for glovebox, fascia, Pro Widescreen and CIC Idrive controller[/b] (with internal aerial unused new in box) £750 delivered
MODS lots of coding,Alcantara flat bottom wheel and trim,Led reg bulbs,Sapphire black interior trims,Carbon diffuser,DPF delete 276bhp,Carbon badges,Yellow B/calipers 19" BBS LM Alloys,Lowered spring perches.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 02:25 PM   #51
dest
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: LCI E91 320d M Sport

Depends if they're including an emulator, screen cable, long USB cable from the combox to arm rest, arm rest USB socket and any other bits and bobs.
Note that the arm rest USB is only for iPod and iPhone, where as the glovebox one is only for map updates and adding music to the internal drive.
I have the socket ready to fit in the glove box but never bothered buying the cable to fit it as I've not needed to use it.
I have a 160gb iPod that lives in the glovebox and is only unplugged if I want to use web radio via iPhone
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 02:40 PM   #52
holmefield
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dest View Post
Depends if they're including an emulator, screen cable, long USB cable from the combox to arm rest, arm rest USB socket and any other bits and bobs.
Note that the arm rest USB is only for iPod and iPhone, where as the glovebox one is only for map updates and adding music to the internal drive.
I have the socket ready to fit in the glove box but never bothered buying the cable to fit it as I've not needed to use it.
I have a 160gb iPod that lives in the glovebox and is only unplugged if I want to use web radio via iPhone
Thanks dest
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 04:00 PM   #53
evohicks
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d M Sport Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by imy View Post
Ccc isn't that bad is it? I've got updated maps and it always gets me to where I want to go quite quickly and with traffic assumptions.
I'm using the BMW NBT nav in my loan car (318d GT)right now and although the screen is better and there are more options, the nav does the same thing as my CCC, so does my Garmin for that matter. The Garmin is way better than both in terms of options but with the 2016 maps on my CCC I Drive, I've not thought that it was taking me any longer or slower to a destination.
I think the NBT nav system looks pretty basic tbh compared to other car makes.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 04:04 PM   #54
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 335 e93

I say no. I ordered it without and got a $100 Garmin and couldn't be happier. You could also do a stereo upgrade and get it built in that way too.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 04:12 PM   #55
MattOz
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Alpina G21 D3S

Garage List
2011 E90 M3  [0.00]
I've had cars with both. I thought I'd miss it, but my last two E9*'s haven't had it. I considered retro fitting, but as has been said above, it would cost £1,500 ish the set up. CIC, combox etc. Plus, my current car needs a piano black individual centre console. This is NLA, and if it was, it's £400.

If I need satnav, I just use my iPhone. It does the job just as well as the BMW system. I'm also able to use my iPod and phone book etc on my radio screen. Not had an issue doing that. Service info is available on the dash. The one bit I do miss is the parking picture and the 'rasta hat' graphic!
Appreciate 0