E90Post

Extreme Power House

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Seized bolt while changing VCG

08-10-2017, 08:33 AM   #23
dlwmacgregor
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

Just got an update from my mechanic.
They are 100% certain that something was living under my intake manifold.
They said they removed (and not easily) a ton of leaf debris.
That picture of the broken bolt between the 2 rear spark plugs includes the dowel, which was removed. The top of the bolt sheared off at an extreme angle and using a center punch did not ensure that the attempt to drill it out went as planned. Drilling out the bolt to enlarge the hole and use a helicoil would have introduced metal shards below the cylinder head rendering the fix extremely expensive.
They will put it all back together and road test it without the engine cover and then check for leakage in and around the spark plugs/coils.
He is looking for way to minimize cost not run up the bill.
He knows we are "on the fence" about keeping it. He will give me a break on the new valve cover.

As far as the rust is concerned on the intake manifold bolts, he has seen some incredible things because of our climate and when it comes to BMW her had to once get a technician visit from Stutgart to come over to verify a specific case of corrosion. Because I park on gravel (until next year that is, when we put in a garage) all my brake calipers on whatever vehicle look incredibly corroded. Volvo, Honda CR-V or BMW, it makes no difference. Our climate is something that manufacturers just don't design for because we are such a small market. It's the Ottawa-Montreal-Quebec City corridor. Toronto and southern Ontario are NOT included because their climate is completely different and hence they don't use the salt that they do around here.

Last edited by dlwmacgregor; 08-10-2017 at 08:41 AM.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 05:42 PM   #24
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i x-drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlwmacgregor View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needbmwpartzz View Post
Hmm....I'm not even a mechanic and I could fix your problem in my driveway .....so I find it very odd your mechanic seems to be challenged by such an insignificant problem which he should be able to solve given he's supposed to be professional which you completely trust.
I suppose he just wants a little more money.:
Could you do it without cracking the cylinder head? How would you make sure that the drilling angle was just right if you couldn't position yourself right over it?
I'm asking not critizing.
No guarantee on that,originally thought it was the outer bolts that broke...your case was more severe than I thought based on where it broke/angle/location.
Hope that fix holds for you.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 06:41 PM   #25
dlwmacgregor
Canada
Rep

Here are the original pictures before servicing.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 08:56 PM   #26
Captain comic
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi

1. That water in there is very common due to rain/carwash etc, I had same water in same area and that bolt between spark plugs was also very rusty. So no big deal. People here comment like it's end of the world, many of them haven't even changed VCG themselves
2. That thing that broke under the valve cover is a breather - it usually breakes if you are not careful when taking Valve cover off. It can be attached using a coldweld/superglue - this is what many of us did including me and it holds just fine. So consider reusing your old cover, no need to spend $625CAD on a new one
This is where you can see that breather: http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tech...eplacement.htm look for Figure # 23 in there
3. If you can't fix that bolt - it's not a big issue - sealing it with high heat silicone will do just fine. That bolt is just a fastener and since valve cover has enough bolts on perimeter and 2 other bolts in between spark plugs are fine - you should be fine

Understand one thing: your bmw is old and it's made of steel and aluminum - it will rust, bolts will get seized. If you will listen to mr. perfects - they will tell you to replace everything lol - but it's easy to say for them. Just do what is best in this case and will get the job done
Appreciate 1
      08-10-2017, 09:56 PM   #27
dlwmacgregor
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain comic View Post
1. That water in there is very common due to rain/carwash etc, I had same water in same area and that bolt between spark plugs was also very rusty. So no big deal. People here comment like it's end of the world, many of them haven't even changed VCG themselves
2. That thing that broke under the valve cover is a breather - it usually breakes if you are not careful when taking Valve cover off. It can be attached using a coldweld/superglue - this is what many of us did including me and it holds just fine. So consider reusing your old cover, no need to spend $625CAD on a new one
This is where you can see that breather: http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tech...eplacement.htm look for Figure # 23 in there
3. If you can't fix that bolt - it's not a big issue - sealing it with high heat silicone will do just fine. That bolt is just a fastener and since valve cover has enough bolts on perimeter and 2 other bolts in between spark plugs are fine - you should be fine

Understand one thing: your bmw is old and it's made of steel and aluminum - it will rust, bolts will get seized. If you will listen to mr. perfects - they will tell you to replace everything lol - but it's easy to say for them. Just do what is best in this case and will get the job done
Thank you for those comments Captain. It's nice to hear from someone who has actually been thru what I'm going thru now. My mechanic is rated to be one of the 3 best in eastern Ontario and I will suggest about the breather.
By the way, what you said about the other 19+ bolts was exactly what he said to allay mu fears about it being secure.

He said he will make sure he plugs the unused bolt hole in the valve cover to seal it.

Thanks again!
Appreciate 1
      08-11-2017, 07:39 PM   #28
JuniorB
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 e60 525 3si and nitrous

That car has been sitting for a while somewere , fix it and dump it, quickly. Your problems has only begun. I'll bet that car sat for a couple of years, and yes, it will start to get expensive.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2017, 07:43 PM   #29
JuniorB
Captain
Rep

Quote:

Btw,I'm in RI, and my car is spotless. If a car is driven occasionally, and given a good powerwash now and then,it will look great and run for years. It's all in the maintenance .
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2017, 10:19 PM   #30
hassmaschine
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

neither of my N52s look anything like that - one of them is even a Canadian car. How would water get into the valve cover under the engine cover and hood?

I wish the OP the best, but those pics of the oil covered engine bay are not promising.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2017, 01:13 PM   #31
Captain comic
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post
neither of my N52s look anything like that - one of them is even a Canadian car. How would water get into the valve cover under the engine cover and hood?

I wish the OP the best, but those pics of the oil covered engine bay are not promising.
Have you ever done a powerwash of your engine bay? Once is enough - water will get there

And for the record I am against engine bay wash, especially powerwashes
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2017, 09:46 PM   #32
JuniorB
Captain
Rep

Powerwashing just means power greater than your garden hose, the car wash psi is a perfect and safe way to keep any vehical clean. I'm not talking about 4K psi, but a typical 1200 psi wand is perfect for keeping all these aluminum parts clean and looking great. Some call it steam cleaning, others refer it as powerwashing, both are a must for New England vehicals!
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2017, 10:37 PM   #33
hassmaschine
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

Quote:
Have you ever done a powerwash of your engine bay? Once is enough - water will get there

And for the record I am against engine bay wash, especially powerwashes
no, sorry, and even if I did - I would dry out any wet spots with a towel.

that engine bay is still abnormally rusty. You can debate all you like - but it's not good. If there's any constructive advice we can give the OP, I'm all for it of course.

For example, I'd really push back hard at paying $1500 for a valve cover job, where the mechanic broke a bolt - and then expected me to live with a half assed repair (basically a glob of silicone goo where a bolt should be).
Appreciate 0