E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Houtan was Right! The "Nightmare on Jack Stands" is OVER!

08-10-2017, 04:48 PM   #1
cranelec
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Talking Houtan was Right! The "Nightmare on Jack Stands" is OVER!

houtan, et al.

Thanks for the support! The damn car started using the Einstein's "Theory of Insanity!" with out any SES/CEL pooping up. Next, MHD Flash w/JB4 piggy-back, then meth. Damn car is scary fast without a back-end flash.

thanks

mike

Last edited by cranelec; 08-10-2017 at 04:50 PM.. Reason: puctuation
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 09:08 PM   #2
houtan
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.80]
Awesome. Glad you got her running. Pure Turbos stage 2 changes the entire car.

Is the jb4 installed?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2017, 09:13 AM   #3
cranelec
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Butt Dyno MAP 4

JB4 is installed. Prior to the FBO, I just set it to MAP 5 & had fun. My car was a real PITA to get started after completing the FBO essentially "flat-lining" like a cardiac arrest. In a complete state of panic, I managed to render my coding software useless when my FBO turned into FUBAR during the aww sh*t, wtf, did I screw up & what's it going to cost to fix phase. Luckily, I remembered that I could read & clear codes via the JB4 app on my laptop. The hex codes generated made me poop my pants.
I heeded your advice and installed new coils & plugs and the car showed signs of a heartbeat. With in fifteen minutes, the car began to idle normally. My best guess is that I should have cleared all adaptations prior to attempting to start the car.
The damage my car sustained from the deer hit still needs to be repaired (i.e. front bumper, left side fender, and paint). Driving the car in its current state is just an invitation to get pulled over.
I did a few third gear pulls in MAP 4 just to determine the effects of the FBO + PS2 without the assistance of the JB4. The car is really scary fast. Going to spend the last day of my vacation trying to restore my coding software on my laptop & order the MHD flasher.
Thanks again!
mike
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2017, 10:24 AM   #4
houtan
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.80]
Nice. Did you convert the JB4 to ISO yet? If so, that is the first thing you should do. Cut the diode, load up the latest fw, grab a few 3rd gear logs from ~2500 to redline in map 4, then map 1, etc. Post up the Map 4 logs on N54tech in the support section, the support for JB4 is better there.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2017, 11:12 AM   #5
orteeze
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 YMB F80

Guys, in the middle of an install. Got a question about the o rings. There are three noticeably thinner o rings that are the same size as two others. Are the thinner three for the coolant lines?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2017, 12:40 PM   #6
houtan
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by orteeze View Post
Guys, in the middle of an install. Got a question about the o rings. There are three noticeably thinner o rings that are the same size as two others. Are the thinner three for the coolant lines?
Can't remember but you can match up the new o rings with the old ones. It becomes clear when you compare them.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2017, 02:08 PM   #7
cranelec
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Give me 90 minutes... still at work. Definitely can help
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2017, 07:51 PM   #8
cranelec
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
?

did you get my PM?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2017, 08:40 AM   #9
orteeze
Major
Rep

Got it! 10 hrs of pain and suffering is almost over! Need to get the intake in and coolant reservoir on.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2017, 10:51 AM   #10
cranelec
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Congrats

Quote:
Got it! 10 hrs of pain and suffering is almost over! Need to get the intake in and coolant reservoir on.
Glad, my info was of some value
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2017, 11:46 PM   #11
Turbod
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 E84 X1 35i M Sport

Quote:
Congrats man!
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 07:47 AM   #12
cranelec
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Talking Enough Mods for one year...

Quote:
Originally Posted by houtan View Post
Nice. Did you convert the JB4 to ISO yet? If so, that is the first thing you should do. Cut the diode, load up the latest fw, grab a few 3rd gear logs from ~2500 to redline in map 4, then map 1, etc. Post up the Map 4 logs on N54tech in the support section, the support for JB4 is better there.
Did the ISO upgrade and the MHD flash last night using the BMS pump gas .bin Dropped car off at body shop on my way to work. I hoped that my hours of "wrenching" would be over until next year, but I have to adjust/stiffen the Koni sport dampers, Way too much power for the bouncing back roads of Northeastern PA.
Going to spend my lunch reading up on the proper JB4 settings. I'm pretty sure I have something messed up (like what Menu 4 should be set at)
Maybe Turbod can chime in?

Mike
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 12:02 PM   #13
Turbod
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 E84 X1 35i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranelec View Post
Did the ISO upgrade and the MHD flash last night using the BMS pump gas .bin Dropped car off at body shop on my way to work. I hoped that my hours of "wrenching" would be over until next year, but I have to adjust/stiffen the Koni sport dampers, Way too much power for the bouncing back roads of Northeastern PA.
Going to spend my lunch reading up on the proper JB4 settings. I'm pretty sure I have something messed up (like what Menu 4 should be set at)

Mike
Menu 4? I would pop over to N54tech and look at their ISO settings in the first post. You can submit some logs (.csv file) in their support sections for adjustments specific to your setup. If after that you feel like is still needs some fine tuning I'm willing to help via Facebook and email.
2020 F97 X3M | 11.0@123
2023 G80 M3 xDrive
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 01:26 PM   #14
cranelec
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbod View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cranelec View Post

Mike
Menu 4? I would pop over to N54tech and look at their ISO settings in the first post. You can submit some logs (.csv file) in their support sections for adjustments specific to your setup. If after that you feel like is still needs some fine tuning I'm willing to help via Facebook and email.
It's probably something stupid or a bad TMAP sensor. BMS customer support is lighting quick. Approximately two minutes after emailing, I had a response in my inbox.
I had a difficult time re-installing the TMAP into the new VRSF charge pipe, eventually tearing up the o-ring. My guess is the OEM plastic charge was more forgiving than the metal charge pipe.
There is no point in logging until this issue is corrected. However, in searching, I stumbled across a thread which orteeze asked if a JB4 backend flash might be the case.
Worse case scenarios are not as frightening as going FBO and the damn car would not start
In order of expensiveness:
Crossed wires, a short in the JB4 harness, , new TMAP Sensor, shorted engine harness, bad DME.
I'm fairly certain that I will deal with any other future mid-life crises which may occur with copious amounts of distilled spirits & psychotropic meds. This "fulfillment" crap...
Damn Autocorrect too
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 08:59 PM   #15
orteeze
Major
Rep

I started getting a weird code about VIN unable to be detected after 5-15 firmware. I believe it has something to do with Terry determining it it's a USDM VIN. Got a hold of 5-14 firmware and loaded it up. All better now.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 09:37 PM   #16
cranelec
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Thank You

Quote:
I started getting a weird code about VIN unable to be detected after 5-15 firmware. I believe it has something to do with Terry determining it it's a USDM VIN. Got a hold of 5-14 firmware and loaded it up. All better now.
Just spent the last five hours questioning everything I have done... BMS customer service is unreal! I received a response from Jon@...less than two minutes after pushing the support email.
I fully understand & accept the fact I make mistakes. When I start second, third, and fourth guessing my efforts... My last email to Jon was pathetic.
After buying my incredibly STOCK '11 335i xDrive and installing the JB4 Stage, I was cruising on Map 5, occasionally hitting +16psi boost. At least I'm honest with myself, owning/driving a turbocharged BMW is far more addicting than any other high.
However, just like an opioid/heroin addict with a monkey on my back, the need for trying to replicate that initial "rush" felt going from a N52 to N55 is insatiable. Prior to going FBO + PS2 and before converting my sixteen month old JB4 Stage 1 to ISO; flashed to v. 1.15 coupled with the purchase of the MHD flash app & writing the BMS pump gas .bin...I managed to get by with a little help from my forum friends like you.
At the end of a very long day, forum members like you, houtan, Turbod, et al. make it all seem worthwhile!
Mike
Appreciate 1
orteeze223.00