Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Slow leak on 17" run flats

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

01-19-2012, 08:48 AM   #1
kcgman
Burning the midnight oil
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335d

Slow leak on 17" run flats

I have one rear tire that has had the low tire pressure warning come on twice in the past week or so. The first time I thought it might have occurred because of a sharp drop in outside temperature. However, a week later, I got the same warning. All of the other tires are fine.

I called the dealership and asked if a slow leak could be patched. I was speaking with someone who sort of gave me two answers: First, no. Then, maybe. I made an appointment to get it looked at in another week's time or so, hopefully giving me more time to see for sure how quickly the air is coming out of the tire.

Can a slow leak (dropped from 41 psi to 32 psi in 1 week's time) in a rear run flat wheel be safely patched? Or do I have to replace the tire altogether? And if I replace the one tire, do I need to replace both rear tires?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2012, 08:56 AM   #2
Ernerd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 335i SGM '07

Some shops will plug run flats, some won't. It also depends where the puncture is. If it is too close to the sidewall, you can't patch it up. I think for your situation, if the puncture isn't close to the sidewall, it is safe to patch it, since it was never driven completely flat. The only concern of patching/plugging run flats is damaged inner walls due to being driven completely flat.

If you decide to replace the tires, check the other rear tire and see if there is still enough tread left. The only thing people would say when you replace one side is that you'll notice a pull. I replaced my left rear tire with a used tire (about 8/32 left) when my right tire only had about 4/32 - 5/32 and didn't notice any sort of pull.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2012, 09:34 AM   #3
kcgman
Burning the midnight oil
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernerd View Post
Some shops will plug run flats, some won't. It also depends where the puncture is. If it is too close to the sidewall, you can't patch it up. I think for your situation, if the puncture isn't close to the sidewall, it is safe to patch it, since it was never driven completely flat. The only concern of patching/plugging run flats is damaged inner walls due to being driven completely flat.

If you decide to replace the tires, check the other rear tire and see if there is still enough tread left. The only thing people would say when you replace one side is that you'll notice a pull. I replaced my left rear tire with a used tire (about 8/32 left) when my right tire only had about 4/32 - 5/32 and didn't notice any sort of pull.

Good luck!
Many thanks for the help.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2012, 09:51 AM   #4
achien
AC
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 Post Members Crazy

you have to go to an Indy shop to have to patched. Any authorized dealer would not take a risk to patch run-flats as the $ they earn on patching your tire does not justify any potential legal consequences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcgman View Post
I have one rear tire that has had the low tire pressure warning come on twice in the past week or so. The first time I thought it might have occurred because of a sharp drop in outside temperature. However, a week later, I got the same warning. All of the other tires are fine.

I called the dealership and asked if a slow leak could be patched. I was speaking with someone who sort of gave me two answers: First, no. Then, maybe. I made an appointment to get it looked at in another week's time or so, hopefully giving me more time to see for sure how quickly the air is coming out of the tire.

Can a slow leak (dropped from 41 psi to 32 psi in 1 week's time) in a rear run flat wheel be safely patched? Or do I have to replace the tire altogether? And if I replace the one tire, do I need to replace both rear tires?

01-23-2012, 10:15 PM   #5
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcgman View Post

Yes, they can be patched, assuming the puncture is not in the side-wall. BTDT.
However, no dealer will patch a tire for you to earn $20, when they can stiff you for a new $450 tire w/installation.

Go to tirerack.com, search for local affiliated tire installers in your area, and give them a call. One of them will take the job and save you a bundle.

alex f
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2012, 10:39 PM   #6
Gimmethecash
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Comp

One other thing you might look for is a crack in your wheel. A cracked wheel will leak air, as will a leaky valve stem.

Last edited by Gimmethecash; 01-24-2012 at 11:01 PM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2012, 11:20 PM   #7
gds52
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4M Coupe, BMW 328i E93 Co

Rft can be fixed just like any regular tire. If u can find a demo on YouTube u can fix it on ur own, it's very simple.
Appreciate 0