E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > E90 iDrive help

08-12-2012, 11:24 AM   #1
the_italian
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 320D M Sport iDrive

E90 iDrive help

Need a bit of advice with iDrive.

Car is a 2005 '55' E90 320d M Sport with iDrive and sat nav.

About 6 months ago I had an issue with the satnav drive. I had the original disc that came with the BMW in the sat nav however the label had begun to peel off and disintegrate within the drive. I took everything apart and got into the drive, and with a 5 minute attempt I managed to get all the bits of label out that I could see just by using tweezers and blowing into it. Put it all back together and it worked fine, I removed the leftover label on the disc and it's been working fine since.

A few days ago the drive began cutting out again, similar to the first signs. So I thought there must be a few bits still within. Yesterday I did the same again, then put it all back together again. It didn't make a difference and it still wasn't working, it would come up with 'read error' or 'please insert disc'. I did the same again today, but when I put it all back together there is nothing at all on the screen. The screen is blank. The whole iDrive system seems to have shut down. If I press the eject button the cd drive it responds, however if I press the eject button on the satnav drive it doesn't. A warning light comes up on the dash when I start the car which looks like a light bulb with an exclamation mark.

Anyone heard anything similar? Not particularly wanting to give BMW 600 quid to look at it and just replace everything.

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 04:32 PM   #2
ram33
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 335d

i thought the disks were printed - no sticky labels?
are you sure it wasnt a copy?
you can try this
To completely reboot your car control computer (I-Drive, Navigation, Audio), hold down both eject buttons for the DVD and CD drives while pushing the radio power knob
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 05:31 PM   #3
fulcrum
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92,F22, F36, G01

Same as this?

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=735490
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 05:18 AM   #4
m1bjr
LSD - No, you're not seeing things
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Baby F36 Gran Coupe

I did have a couple of random software 'moments' with he older iDrive.
Including the volume controls not operating at all too, and bluetooth odd operation.

Solution for me was disconnect the battery in the boot and wait 30min, reconnect.
You'lll have to set country and date/time IIRC but thats it.