E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Leather cleaning tip: ERASING SPONGES

11-13-2009, 08:22 AM   #1
Roth517
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4C xDrive

Lightbulb Leather cleaning tip: ERASING SPONGES

I just posed this on the main page in response to a leather cleaning question, but figured I'd post it here, too.

I've tried various leather cleaners and conditioners over the years, but NOTHING has cleaned leather like erasing sponges (http://www.meijer.com/catalog/produc...ategoryId=1559). You can find them at the grocery store in the cleaning aisle. Get one slightly wet and wipe/rub the leather. It'll pull ALL the dirt, grease, and grime off the leather. Wipe dry with a cotton towel. You'll especially notice how good it works on the steering wheel, where it'll pull all your palm sweat off the leather and make it look brand new. If you have a light colored seat, like my grey dakota, you'll also notice a difference before and after, too.

You can use them on the plastic door and rocker panel trim to get scuffs out, too. They are awesome. Oh, and they're good around the house to clean marks off walls, trim, etc. Cheap, too.
      11-13-2009, 12:22 PM   #2
CHCCubs
Colonel
Latvia
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i xDrive Sport

Good to know. I was thinking of trying these on a spot I have on my leather (seems like color transfer from my belt onto the seatback) that I haven't been able to get out with soap or various leather cleaners.

2013 BMW 328i xDrive Sport Line
Mineral Grey on Everest Grey
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2009, 12:23 PM   #3
2QAYL
Canada
Rep
Drives: None yet

Juat a word of caution on using these on any surface. They are mildly abrasive and can remove some of the dye in the leather and part of the top coat if not used carefully. I have personally seen a door pannel which was ruined after one of my customers tryed to use one of these to clean it prior to coming to us.

Best is to make sure you use a cleaner which provides lubrication with the eraser and only use on stubborn spots which will not come off. I would hate to see someone here go to town with one of these and cause damage.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2009, 12:47 PM   #4
Cosmop
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i

These are like a soft very fine sandpaper sponge. I would be careful and only use it as a last resort on the spots that won't come off with any other method. It is pretty amazing what stains they will remove.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2010, 03:44 PM   #5
jngjng72
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335

yes be careful with these things. They can remove crayon from a hard wood floor but it can also remove the polish on the hardwood floor as I discovered. So use sparingly on leather!

2007 E93 335i Alpine White Auto/CPP/ZPP/ZSP
2012 CT200H
2009 X5 Workhorse/Kidmobile
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2010, 04:26 AM   #6
TOGWT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 630i

Abrasive products – do not use abrasive products (i.e. Magic Eraser) as an abraded surface attracts dirt / grit, which further damages the finish.

Products with a high or low pH value or you may cause irreversible damage to the leather or covered leather polyethylene surface

This type of automotive upholstery finish should not be considered a natural leather hide as far as care and its maintenance is concerned, but treated as a vinyl, only requiring that you maintain its moisture and protect it from ultra violet (UV) radiation. A water-based cleaner will permeate the polyurethane covering as its molecules are much smaller (oil has larger molecules than water and are unable to penetrate so oil will just sit on the surface). As the top surface has a high polyurethane finish, normal leather creams should NOT be used.

Reminder; you are dealing with the finished surface coating and not with the leather itself. Meaning, of course, there is absolutely no point to using leather conditioners on Polyurethane coated leather.

Cleaning / Care
Use a 3M delicate duty scuff pad (White) and Iz einszett ‘Plastik-Reiniger’ is an intensive, non-corrosive, non-acidic two-phase deep cleaner, that removes grime build-up thoroughly and effortlessly, these chemicals restore your interiors original texture and resiliency; use to clean all coloured and clear water-based acrylic polyurethane covered automotive upholstery; this product is biodegradable, formalin-free and environmentally friendly. Always thoroughly rinse upholstery cleaners and ensure that they are allowed to dry before adding protection or use.

Maintain by cleaning surfaces with a 10:1 water diluted d-limonene (citrus) based cleaner) P21S Total Auto Wash) to remove stains, then apply a water-based (Iz einszett Cockpit or 303™ Space Protectant) dressing that contains ultra violet protection

An extract from a series of Detailing Technical Papers Copyright © TOGWT ™ Ltd 2002-2010, all rights reserved.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2010, 03:04 PM   #7
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGWT View Post
covered leather polyethylene surface...
Is BMW leather like this?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 07:30 AM   #8
TOGWT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 630i

95% of them

(b)Protected leather (Pigmented) (P-Protected / Coated) - by slightly scratching it with your nail, if it changes to a darker / lighter shade, it is unprotected (i.e. how suede changes colour depending on the fibres' orientation). If this has little effect it’s protected. If water ‘beads’ on the surface, or if cleaners and conditioners remain on the surface, it’s (polyurethane) protected leather as liquids will not penetrate this type of surface; it will also have an even shine.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 08:19 AM   #9
I335
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '08 335i Coupe

TOGWT - so your saying that for the past umpteen years everyone who is using leather cleaners and conditioners on our BMWs have it all wrong - including BMW who has their own leather cleaner/conditioner that is recommended by them for our cars? I find this a bit hard to believe. In addition, my Zaino leather products seem to do a fantastic job on my car. I don't believe the leather in our cars is coated in polyurethane and that a plastic cleaner would work better. Where are you getting your info?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 10:55 AM   #10
stimpy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

This thing isn't getting anywhere near my leather.
Appreciate 0