E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > E92 Hi-Fi (676) Focal K2 Power and JL Audio VX600/6i

05-14-2018, 09:32 PM   #1
smacame
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 335i

E92 Hi-Fi (676) Focal K2 Power and JL Audio VX600/6i

My previous car had a high end Focal system with a JL Audio sub which I installed. I am hoping to match the sound in that car with this setup. At the moment it needs more tuning to get there. Something about the small cabin or speaker installation sounds awful in the 250-600 Hz range (edit - I had the rear right speaker's polarity flipped)

I knew that the best thing I could fit in the front would be K2 Power 100K's. Given their abysmal low frequency response I wanted 165's in the rear.

The rear speakers took a solid day to install. I had to make significant changes to things back there to fit the big 165 size speakers.

The fronts were extremely straightforward. With Technic's front speaker surrounds it was an afternoon job. The crossovers fit in the armrest below the speaker. They would not have fit flipped with the tall part further up.

The amplifier was another easy half day job using the Technic harness. This amp with built in DSP is awesome; I am so glad that I didn't need a DSP and a separate amp.

Front Speakers: Focal K2 Power ES 100K
Rear Speakers: Focal K2 Power 165KRC
Under Seats: SWS-8Xi

Amplifier: JL Audio VX600/6i

Imgur Album:
View post on imgur.com

Last edited by smacame; 11-06-2020 at 10:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2018, 01:25 AM   #2
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan

Looking forward to seeing the rest of the pics and install. I’m doing a very similar setup (in a 328i e90) soon. I had no idea those rear panels left you so much room to work with.

I see you added the JL bluetooth receiver in there...presume with a switchable input on that VX800/8i. I had the same thought and was going to leave ch1/2 open and assign the others so there were upgrade options to include optical. Are you getting the 205 and the bluetooth communicator module so you can adjust from the front seat?

{oops, see its a VX600/6i}

btw, nice deck 👍
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2018, 09:41 AM   #3
smacame
United_States
Rep

Check out the Imgur album for more photos.

The rear speakers were not even close to fitting without removing that extra steel dish. You will absolutely want to cover the hole with dynamat or something equivalent. After removing the dish you'll be looking right at the wheel well. If I'd had more dynamat at the time I would've put some in there on those panels.

The biggest rear speaker that would've fit without removing that panel would've needed to be 3-4cm less deep than the 165KRC.

I have a DRC-200 to switch between the front head unit input and the JL Bluetooth module. I haven't installed it yet, so I'm running without any head unit input right now.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2019, 12:40 PM   #4
smacame
United_States
Rep

Last weekend I got around to replacing the stock subwoofers with the drop-in Earthquake Sound SWS-8Xi

I used the R8SWS install kit which is a couple of cheapo particle board and foam rings. They are extremely fragile, but it made the install super easy.

These are 2 ohms and allow significantly more throw than the stock units. They are well matched to the Focal setup. Anything under ~40hz is pretty weak still, but it's great for everything aural rather than visceral. I wish I had done this a year ago.

Feel free to PM for details on how I set up the VX600, the delays and EQ have a huge impact in this car.

View post on imgur.com

Last edited by smacame; 07-21-2019 at 12:51 PM..
Appreciate 1