E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > E92 335i whooshing noise but no codes

02-19-2018, 04:14 PM   #1
Chrisavick
Rep
Drives: 09 BMW 335i

E92 335i whooshing noise but no codes

So I am tearing my hair out but I can't seem to find the cause of this noise.

A while back my stock cp exploded so I replaced it with a vrsf cp which I had no issues with for a while and then one day I developed this whooshing noise that I can only describe as sounding like a vented to atmosphere wastegate. Its most prominent under partial throttle in boost but can definitely still be heard under wot. It seems to be coming from the drivers side but can't pin point exactly where.

I've checked all my connections for the cp and ran my logs but the boost seems to be hitting target levels though low/mid range does seem to be lagging a bit behind target which I'm not sure is normal or not?

Forgot to mention that I am not throwing any codes at all and the only symptoms seem to be the noise and from what I can tell a small loss of power.

Has anyone experienced this or can help point me in the right direction to start trouble shooting this further?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 04:40 PM   #2
DesertDude
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 335is E93 DCT

Check to see if the plug in the meth injection port on the underside of the CP has come out. That happened to me and exhibited the same symptoms.

Lost the plug so had to buy a new one. Used loctite to make sure it stayed put.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 04:48 PM   #3
Chrisavick
Rep
Drives: 09 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDude View Post
Check to see if the plug in the meth injection port on the underside of the CP has come out. That happened to me and exhibited the same symptoms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDude View Post

Thank you! I didn't even realize there was a 2nd bund under the cp just felt it with my fingers and there's no plug in it! Also checked the top one and it was loose as well. Would you happen to remember where you got a new plug?

*edit* Just pulled the top one out and looks like a basic set screw, just dont have a thread gauge to find out what size it is. Anyone have any idea?

Last edited by Chrisavick; 02-19-2018 at 05:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 06:44 PM   #4
DesertDude
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 335is E93 DCT

Got one at Home Depot. 1/8" NPT.
Appreciate 0